Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Green Burials Home Funerals Options
country591
#1 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2005 4:08:27 AM

does anyone know if green burials are allowed in wisconsin , has any one experienced one ? this is what I want for myself .
hastinggs
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:05:28 PM

I am FROM MICHIGAN AND LOOKING FOR INFO ON THIS TOPIC ALSO GLAD I FOUND THIS TOPIC.
Jay Jay
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:45:55 AM

Hello:
I have done, as a funeral director, several home funerals.
I have also assisted many families in 35 years, in burying
their own dead. In NY state you were required to employ a
funeral director to dispose of the human remains left after
death took a person to glory. In Texas, one could bury
their loved ones with out employing a funeral director.
I was asked by several families to provide a death
certificate and did so. I also filed a death certificate
for several families. Of course this left me without a fee
to charge, but I made up for it with freindship to churches
and hospices. Now I have retired, and I am willing to
explain how to do this in Texas and other state where
home burials are legal. I also sent may bodies to Mexico.
I sent stands with the bodies, where a 24'''' x 24'''' stand with an
inch center was removed. The removed part was about one inch
and the stand looked like a "u", the stands interlocked to make an
''x''. Two x''s supported the casket and the casket was put on these
stands for a day or two, until it was buried. We did the paperwork and had the family take the body from TX into Mexico. No problems, and many poor Mexican families came back to thank me for the service.
I also got may referrals from other funeral homes. They would tell families about me. When I asked the family what they had learned about me, I was always given a bottom line: "thet said you would not rip us off". Families see death once on average evey 15 years or so.
Funeral homes see it weekly, so the odds are stacked against you.
I did get licensed in CA as well as NY and TX. I forgot the law in CA, but never did a home burial there.
One word of caution. Ask the hospice what you can do on your own.
Then ask the State Board that regulates funeral directors and funeral homes. Some states allow you to do more on your own that other states do.
I have had hospice (nurses, God love them) wash and dress the body.
The family built a casket and or bought one at a casket store. The famioly SUV or station wagon took the body to the cemetery and the family preached their own service and the body was buried. If a ourside burial container is needed, one can be obtained at a casket store in most cases. Check around, the prices are different even among casket stores.
The large funeral homes with well known names will usually be higher in price that a small mom and pop funeral home with a small ad in the
local phone book. Also you can pick a FH in your state, not just your county or home town. Also FH bargain, ask for a ''''BID''''. You call and ask for prices on everything else, why not a funeral.
JJ
Jay Jay
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:48:06 AM

You can also have a body cremated as well as buried.
Cremation is often cheaper.
jj
EJLynch3
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:48:06 AM

Looking to visit with anyone in Michigan who has been part of any type of home funeral or green burial in this state. How involved was the funeral director/funeral professional, any information would be of help. I would also like comments from those who have already had a similar service in other parts of the country, I was involved in a home service here in michigan that was really awesome on all accounts I was the funeral professional caring for the family at the time, no embalming, body kept in home for 3 days, family member with their dead around the clock, funeral in the home, carried out to the hearse with many folks watching, the overall feedback was amazing. Many who thought that was sick when they found out what was to take place retracted their concerns after seeing what all took place, and what took place was hard to capture with our current ways of caring for our dead.Thankyou Ed Lynch