Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

advice for building a coldframe Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 2:19:21 AM

You know, you would probably be better off using thick mil clear plastic. I would use it instead of the glass. I know you have the glass panes, but if you build a simple frame out of 2 x 4s, and hinge them and then have a 2 x6 frame that goes around the garden area. Pretty simple design. I don''t think you would have to angle the glass or plastic. I don''t know about that.
steve
jdcox
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 5:11:35 AM

I know even less...........but I have heard that to maximize the sun''s rays, add 15 degrees to whatever latitude you are at. Since I am at the 50th parallel, my best angle for winter sun is 65 degrees. That theory would seem to apply to ''cold frames'', I would think.
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 12:38:02 PM

I have four of these i use every spring and fall.I took barn siding which is 11 3/4 inches wide and rip it to 8 in the width of your windows.Like this if your window is 30 x 30 you cut a board 30 inches long,then draw a line from the top edge to the other side up 8 inches.The front would be a straight pc. 8x30 the back would be a straight pc. 11 3/4 x 30.Hinge at the top.
mikeg
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 4:42:46 PM

My coldframe is 4 x 6 and I used windows for it, last spring we had a hail storm and you can just picture the mess that made. I dug mine out and put three rows of concrete block just stacked up to the ground level and then set a wood frame on top of that. The south 6ft side was 2x4 and the north side was 2x10 and the sides were made from 2x12 cut at an angle matching the top of the front and back. I dug out the dirt on the inside and put in 12" of cow manuer covered it with dry mulched leaves 6" deep and then filled it to just short of the top of the blocks with compost soil mix. It kept the snow melted off the top all winter. I have replaced the windows with sheets of plexaglass and this fall plan to dig it out and refill.
Apemanevo
#5 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2003 7:47:47 PM

An easy way to go is to use straw bales as the frames, if you just want season extension, with the glass flat on top. You could angle it by having the sides and back be 2 courses, with the front being one, lay the glass (called a "light") from the back to the front at about a 45degree angle. Straw bales will insulate extrememly well.. Another bonus is that if you make it flat, you could cover it with other bales at night. Greens will keep right through the winter in this setup in at least zone 5.
justme
#6 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2003 7:47:47 PM

i want to build a coldframe to go over some of my garden beds before the cool weather sets in. i've never built one, or even had one before, so if anyone has any advice, i'd be very grateful. i have 4 old windows i'd like to use for it. i'm not sure what angle the lids should be, and what else i need to take into account when planning.