Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
How do I get rid of a bee's nest? Options
ajortolani
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 4:00:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DanR

Starchild, with most wasp, only the queen lives through the winter. And she will not live in the nest, but in a hole in the ground. With all the cold weather you have already had, all the wasp should be dead. Poke the nest with a long pole and if nothing happens then just knock it down. Another idea would be to contact the local biology teacher and see if s/he would like it to use in the biology class. Just stay safe.

Danr, our yellowjackets just go dormant in winter & the ones in the nest in our eaves come awake whenever the room warms up to over 72F & they stumble around like they''re drunk!

Since it is winter, they will be dormant but to be extra safe wait till night then grab your gun & shoot that sucker!
At least get a broom handle & just whack it off, they''ll "flea like rats"!!
VaughnHill
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 4:48:26 PM

ajortolani im glad you dont live near me. "just grab a gun and shoot." Come on man!
bushwack
#23 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 12:23:53 AM

TO ALL:
starchild made contact with me. She is well and has not been up on the porch roof. She has been busy and is getting ready for a visit from some of her children with Grand kids in tow. That’s why we have not heard from her.
She has found someone that is willing to remove the hornets nest for her, but he wants to wait until the deeper freeze of 01/04 or 02/04.

Thank You all for showing an interest in helping someone none of us know. To bad to days kids aren''t reading this forum and seeing that there is more to think about than "What''s in it for me!?!

I still would like to meet Carrie, she sounds like a good person to get to know.
Well, this thread may be drawing to a close. But then again things have a heading off in multiple directions from one simple post. Who knows.
Galeshka
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 8:00:37 AM

It sounds as though Starchild isn''t the only person on this forum it would be good to get to know Carl. I''m glad to see there are people like you still around. Be blessed.

Be well....
ajortolani
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 8:15:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by VaughnHill

ajortolani im glad you dont live near me. "just grab a gun and shoot." Come on man!

What? We have 120 acres & "shoot the breeze" (literally) so shooting out a nest of hornets is just "another day at the ranch"
dropkick
#26 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 2:36:07 PM

ajortolani,
A .22 round is still able to kill someone a mile away, I hope you have a good backdrop.
While it is very low odds on you hitting someone else, around here we have actually had people killed this way during hunting season - not shot by someone thinking that they were a deer, shot by someone who didn''t even see them.
We even had a guy shoot himself last year, fired his gun into the air and the bullet came back and hit him.
ajortolani
#27 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2003 6:54:12 PM

[:D] Don''t worry Dropkick we''re in extremely heavily wooded area & the sad thing that I am, I think my hubby is wearing off on me! I was kidding, see I also mentioned an "alternate" method[:D] It''s just my "sick-ass" humor...........am always cracking myself up!!lol[:D]
Sheila
#28 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2003 10:26:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dropkick

ajortolani,

We even had a guy shoot himself last year, fired his gun into the air and the bullet came back and hit him.

We live in an area where lots of folks seem to think it''s "cool" to celebrate holidays by discharging firearms into the air.

The Mr. always says, "I want to go out and shoot my gun."[:0]

I always say, "sure, honey. The tape gun or the glue gun?"[}:)]
skruzich
#29 Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:16:45 PM

Damn dropkick, do you know the odds of that happening??? LOL I would say it was his time to go!

quote:

bushwack
#30 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2003 4:06:40 AM

Urban Myth?? As much distance as that bullet would have traveled, wind /air currents would have moved such an item during both accent and then again during decent. Never mind the variance of trajectory from ‘Ground Zero’ “EXACT 90 degrees”Up & DOWN. Returning to ‘Ground Zero’
Could or would have a man made the corresponding moves by chance??

Cripes it was a one in a million chance when my Dad chucked a base ball up as high as he could and it Conked my lil brother square on top of his head.
Funny as hell at the time yes,but.......
H’m’m’m’m’.

He aint “been right” for a long time now. We wrote it off to a Motorcycle crash he had. Well maybe Dad don’t need to know those thoughts, never mind!
ajortolani
#31 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 12:05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sheila

quote:
Originally posted by dropkick

ajortolani,

We live in an area where lots of folks seem to think it''s "cool" to celebrate holidays by discharging firearms into the air.

The Mr. always says, "I want to go out and shoot my gun."[:0]

I always say, "sure, honey. The tape gun or the glue gun?"[}:)]

WARNING: BEGIMORST, THIS WILL BE EXHAUSTING!

Sheila, my hubby is nuts sometimes (why i love him so much), & I truly don''t let him out that often (LOL), but when it comes to guns he & his budies of the last 40 yrs ALL are very safe & in all these yrs have never witnessed any "stupidity", we just joke about it amongst ourselves sometimes. In reality, our grandson, Devon, will be 5 in May & hubby is "bursting" to get him his 1st gun (cap-looks real) then he gets to spend a couple of yrs practising SAFETY & HANDLING before been allowed his 1st BB gun (which can kill,too). Hubby''s family have had this place just on 100 yrs & have never had an "incident" of any kind through 3 1/2 generations & they hunt here & what-not. We just don''t let "outsiders" in, as the 3 times they were, there was "almost" an incident: ie: shot person, so NO-ONE else is allowed here to hunt or shoot & that is the LAW of Tiger Hill. This is where we shoot & its safe to do so.
begimorst
#32 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 12:43:03 AM

Funny, but yes, still exhausting (in another manner) because you have resorted to childish antics.
ajortolani
#33 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 1:30:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by begimorst

Funny, but yes, still exhausting (in another manner) because you have resorted to childish antics.

OH, Go read my other post![:X]
starchild
#34 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2004 1:30:52 AM

Not sure if this is the right topic to ask this in.

I had been writing questions on another "do it yourself" forum, but seemed like someone was always telling me I had to hire someone ($$$) to "do it right". It's like what part of "I don't have any money to hire professionals to do the job" isn't clear?

A little background, I'm 60 years old (a great grandmother). My husband and I always wanted to live in the country (Vermont) and had lived here in the past. But, it being a rural, cold, poor area, and us having 7 kids, we ended up back nearer a city. Always wanted to come back. We wanted that "big house in the country" and maybe even have foster kids when ours were grown.

We did manage to make it back to Northern VT in 1997 (our kids were grown and gone) and bought that "big old farmhouse" in need of fixing up. 8 months later my husband suffered a stroke, and has been in a nursing home ever since.

I haven't had a lot of money to live on, and don't have a car of my own. I've had to be creative and find ways of fixing (figuring out) things on my own. The house seems to be one step ahead of me in needing repairs, but I do what I can. (currently my daughter, her boyfriend and their child live with me, and they have a car, and can help out some).

The other day, I was on the kitchen floor mixing sawdust (from wood I cut with the power saw to burn in the woodstove) and WOOD GLUE and stuffing it in a crack on the floor, that was letting in a lot of cold air, which was a trick I remember my husband- who was a house painter/carpenter, doing to make wood filler, and I thought of The Mother Earth News!

We used to subscribe to it (money permitting) long ago. I thought if they have a website and forum, I can ask questions here, and maybe get practical answers, that don't involve a lot of money or "hire a professional to do the job and get it done right".

Okay, one current challenge is, at the end of summer we noticed there is a huge hornet/wasp nest up under the eves of the roof, where it comes down on one side. it is HUGE. In a way it's amazing that tiny little insects could creat something like this. It's about 6-8' from the porch roof, which is another 6-8' from the ground.

At the time the hornets seemed to stay up there and not around us on the ground, so I thought, wait till winter when it's below zero and it would be safe to knock it off- and what? Throw it off into the woods?

I wrote about this on the do it yourself board and got suggestions about buying poison spray "guns" and shooting it, soaking it to make sure they were all killed, before knocking it down.

I'm not a hornet lover, but I like to co exist with nature, and not kill something unless I have to. I also noticed that for about a week, there were a great many dragonflies hovering around outside, and looking online learned that dragonfiles kill and eat hornets!

Maybe the adult bees have been eating by the dragonfiles.

The next is still there, I just don't like it on the house. I might have to get out on the porch roof myself and get it off, or maybe I can get someone (a man) to do it for me.

Just wanted to find out first if this will be hard to do? Can they easily be knocked off with a stick, or are they attached more firmly and need to be smashed to pieces or something?

After it's knocked off the house, then what? Throw it in the woods? I don't necesarily want to kill the baby bees inside, just not have them on or around my house.

Any suggestions?

Also, is it okay on this forum to ask questions like this, from the point of a "woman alone" trying to repair and keep together an old house?

I don't see any topics this seems to fit in, in a specific way. Like "survival in the country-without a lot of money" or something.

Thanks,

Carrie