Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
How do I get rid of a bee's nest? Options
Sheila
#1 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 4:06:37 PM

Welcome, Carrie. I don''t have the answer to your specific question, but this forum is a good place to ask. I''m sure someone will have advice for you.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 5:00:43 PM

Hi,
Lets put it this way, I had a hornets nest in my shop last year and i wouldn'' touch it with a 20 foot pole. I would say that if you wait til its very cold, and wait til nighttime, you have a better chance of knocking it down without getting stung many times yourself. It is difficult to say how hard or easy it will be to knock it off, that depends on how they built the base of the nest, whether it is flush against the eaves. If it is, then you will need to get something to scrape it off.
Before doing this, I would take a trash bag, cover the nest and use duct tape all around the edges and seal it against the eaves. Then get yourself a can of ether or starter fluid from the auto parts store and poke a small hole in the bag and spray it into the bag. MAKE SURE you don''t breath it or you will be taking a quick nap on a ladder.

On the other hand, you might find yourself a couple of dumb teenagers with nothing to do and see if they want a challange or a thrill hehe.

But seriously, the other DIY sites are concerned about your personal safety and advised you to hire a exterminator. I really agree with them. I know the money is tight but if the nest is that big, you can have 20,000 hornets in that nest. That wouldn''t be very good for you.
steve
dropkick
#3 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 9:45:40 PM

I have never gone to the extreme measures that others have in removing nests. But I am not fearful of getting stung (and maybe I''m slightly off kilter).
I would wait untill the weather cools and then just knock it down. When the weather reaches around 50 F bees and wasps go into a stupor and just slowly crawl around (if they move at all).
It should not be hard to remove.

P.S. you can test how active they are by smacking the side of the nest and then retreating and looking for activity (do not do this in warm weather). Also they can tell if a person is fearful(scent?) I have had bees/wasps go right past me and go after someone who was scared of them - used to slap nests for this purpose when I was younger (nasty little kid).
CntryLvnGrl
#4 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 10:25:19 PM

I''m laugh''n my butt off at you dropkick!!!! I''m not afraid of getting stung either but haven''t ever poked a nest to have them fly after some one... you were naughty.
I also live in the north starchild and when you get a nice frost in the ground all should be rather safe w/ the hornets/wasps. Can you explain the nest a little better? Is it a flat''ish disk shape, with lots of little compartments? Or rather long plaster looking tubes? Or perhaps a oval ball shape? You can whip the tar out of the disk and the ball shape ones and they break apart easy. Plaster looking tubes of the mud wasp are a little harder to remove. No matter what type you have I am more concerned w/ you on a frosty roof or ladder by yourself. Neither of which are a good idea. Perhaps the daughters boy friend could be "volunteered" into helping on a weekend? I''m not real sure what you would do w/ the nest if you are able to remove it intact. If you have woods, take it for a walk in a paper bag and set it in a tree. Let the little devils fend for themselves come spring.

Welcome to the forum. You are going to find many bright ppl just waiting to help you on all sorts of topics. There are different areas but I''ve not seen anyone get upset if you post a question that doesn''t 100% pertain to that area. Have fun with the house.
Galeshka
#5 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 10:36:32 PM

Starchild, welcome to the forums.
My grandfather always ''smoked'' hornets and wasps nests after it got cold. He would get a small fire going in a metal bucket, then throw some damp hay or straw on it to get a good smoke going.....then fan the smoke into the nest (surrounding it with plastic would help to hold the smoke in). He said it would stun (but not kill) the wasps and hornets.
With money being as tight as it is you might also want to consider taking it down very carefully and selling it...some people actually pay a decent price and display them, lol.
Best of luck to you Starchild, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Be well.....
DanR
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:11:21 AM

Starchild, with most wasp, only the queen lives through the winter. And she will not live in the nest, but in a hole in the ground. With all the cold weather you have already had, all the wasp should be dead. Poke the nest with a long pole and if nothing happens then just knock it down. Another idea would be to contact the local biology teacher and see if s/he would like it to use in the biology class. Just stay safe.
bushwack
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 6:13:38 AM

As cold as it is here in Laconia, NH. 23*, today 19* last night, 12/14/03.Unsure of your whereabouts in Northern VT., but you must be as cold if not colder. We got 8 to 10 inches of fine granular snow last night & today. How about you, neighbor?

[V] Please stay off the ladders & porch roof. Your dear ailing husband needs your support.[:X] I hope someone brings you to visit him.

Is it one of those silvery grey sphere shaped papery beauties ?"I, myself!" would not worry about those [}:)] Bold Faced Hornets [}:)] getting you this time of year . {Were they Black & White ones } I harvested two nests from the wilds about three weeks ago. And 3 others in years past. I leave them sealed in a clear plastic bag ALL winter long, up in the attic of my Unheated garage. In fact they usually stay there till the end of June or July before I hang them inside for decoration. Quite the work of art wouldn’t you say. Never had a swarm in the bag, just a couple of Dead ones I shook out of the nest after storage.

I have a question for you about it’s location. I noticed the areas that I have gotten mine from all were close to a good clean water supply. Some were within 25 feet, one was one the bank of the Saco River 5 feet from the water, another was 5-8 feet from the water at a small pond ( outdated reservoir) for the town of Meredith .Got that one while Snowshoeing the winter before last. I just made that water connection this year, but it makes sense. I see Honey Bees & Yellow Jackets drinking from our bird bath all season.

I wish I were closer to you I’d be glad to take it down & away for you.

Steve jokingly said ask a couple of teenagers to it, but it’s not a bad Idea. Tell them you’ll trade their services for some baked goods or .......{?}.

!!Well if you don’t get it down and we head to Vt. to snowshoe ,I’ll have to look you up!! [:D]

Seriously..[:)]
crownlady
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 12:11:39 PM

Hello and welcome. How about calling the local radio station and asking if anybody would be interested in the nest. You can also write in the letter to the editor section in your newspaper. Post a note in your local supermarket for some help. They usually have a bulletin board for that purpose. In our area we have beekeepers that we purchase honey from. I bet one of them would take that nest down for you.
My son and daughter in law have an old farmhouse. I call it the money pit. Both are strong and healthy and it takes all their efforts to keep that place going. They even have to haul water in big tanks to fill their pool and water their plants. They have a woodburnig pot stove in the living room to try to save on oil usage and keep their place warm. I tell you they devote all their time and money to keeping that place going. They absolutely love it there.

My point being you might just be in a spot that is taking more than you are able to give. Patching floors with sawdust and having to chop down nests. You might want to think about moving into the city in a place that would shelter you but not challenge you so much. It sounds like your cup is full and I know caring for a loved one in a nursing home takes a lot of time and energy and love.
Just my thought. Good luck on the nest.
skruzich
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:28:28 PM

Crownlady, most beekeepers will take it down for a fee. That part of how they make some money.
crownlady
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 5:12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skruzich

Crownlady, most beekeepers will take it down for a fee. That part of how they make some money.

Well I happen to have a real nice fellow that I have purchased honey from for years. He also supplies all my fresh vegetables in season. I know my "honey man" would do it for me. He is just that kind of fellow. [:X][:X]
skruzich
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2003 4:02:45 AM

Thats great crownlady, I know that I would help folks that need it and charge folks that can afford it, but most of the beekeepers don''t mess with hornets or wasps or jackets, but will come in and remove bees and charger for it.
crownlady
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:53:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skruzich

Thats great crownlady, I know that I would help folks that need it and charge folks that can afford it, but most of the beekeepers don''t mess with hornets or wasps or jackets, but will come in and remove bees and charger for it.

What the heck is the difference Steve..A nest of buzzing insects is just that. If you are good at handling one I am sure you could handle the other. At least my honey man could. [:X][:X]
skruzich
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 12:07:26 AM

Most don''t mess with them because they can''t use them. Around here the pest control people will kill hornets and yellow jackets, but will not harm honey bees. Thats a good thing. Then you have to call the local beekeeper that will remove feral hives and they will come out and take them away but not repair the damage associated with the bees.
Pest control will not harm honey bees around here, i think it has something to do with teh Ag department and the issuance of licenses to the pest control companies.

Crownlady, I would remove small nests, no problem. Large ones or even large honey bee hives I would not do, and would call someone in myself. Large ones can be real difficult and I am IMO not good enough to remove one of those.
VaughnHill
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 6:08:05 AM

Doesnt someone here live close enough to drive over and give her a hand? If i did i would go over and just knock it off, put it in a bag and throw it in the woods. But i live about 1500 miles away. And i would have to spend the nite at her house. And feeding me would cost more then hiring someone to do it for her. So cant someone find it in thier heart to go over and help her out.
skruzich
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 1:20:09 PM

I live way down here in the south so that eliminates me. :(
crownlady
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 2:03:14 PM

I''ll ask my "honey man" if he would like to take a little vacation!!!!
[:I][:I][:I]
bushwack
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2003 3:27:59 PM

I hinted as to just that, /Quote:/Doesnt someone here live close enough to drive over and give her a hand?.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Well I did not want to ask her straight out exactly where she lives. For her protection. If you recall she does live alone and the in the VT. North Woods Neighbors, Police or, Help can be far and few between.

So for her piece of mind I didn’t feel I should ask her to post her address on the internet. Heck I’m trusting of members here, but...........
# 1 ~ She’s new to Mother Earth News
# 2 ~ Any nut could read her location
# 3 ~ Maybe the nest has been bagged already, problem solved. {{?}}
# 4 ~ She has not been back to the Board yet. { posting anyway}

From looking at a few member locations I may be the closest.
So ........Starchild if you’re still out there, below is my snail mail if you wish to send me your address and /or phone number.. Looks like my wife and I will have to do some driving to get a snowshoe hike in the way. It has been raining hard after every time we get an accumulation of the white stuff. My brother lives in Whitingham VT. But that’s down by the Mass.State Line. And he’s a lazy S.O.B. so we couldn’t ask him.
We lived on Sadawga Pond when my Dad worked @ Bear Swamp

Carl & Sue Brochu
37 Dartmouth Street
Laconia, NH, 03246-3002
VaughnHill
#18 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2003 2:12:26 PM

Bless you Carl. Thats funny about the bird bath ive seen them at our bird bath as well. i told my wife to come and watch them and told her they were getting a drink and one of them would keep getting in the water and floating around i swear it was swiming.
bushwack
#19 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2003 4:09:04 PM

I ‘ll BEE on the look-out for those swimming bees. Was it doing the B, rest stroke or was it a flamboyant one doing the butterfly stroke?(SorrySoSilly)

But seriously , I mentioned the “Good Deed” thing to my wife and she’s all for it. It’s good to know I’ll have a spotter if I take a header off some antiquated ladder sounds like there might be a couple of those around her place. Hmmmmm ; spotter or heckler?

Just need to hear from Star Child.
bushwack
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2003 6:04:28 AM

Okay I have sent Starchild an E~mail via the E~dress she left in her profile.
Below is a portion of it . But I left out the latter portions of it, as it became a little personal and heart felt.
Didn''t want you folks to see to much of my sensitive and vulnerable side.
I don’t know if it is just the Holiday Season or my inner need to repay the kindnesses and help that have been shown/given to me though-out my life. But what ever the reason I have to do what my heart leads me to do. Small matters,matter. And kindness is a circle.A loop that I was brought up to be a part of. An unbroken chain.
Well now I’m boring you with sentiment. So good night and lets hope to hear from my Vermont neighbor.

\excerptThere are some people that care about here @ the Mother Earth News forum..
And we have not heard from you since your One day of posting on 12 / 15. Are you well?
You didn''t do something silly get up on the porch roof did you!!!???.
I would like to talk to you about that hornets nest. Please check into Mother Earth News forum and look how many folks show genuine concern for a family member at M.E.N.
I am Carl, aka bushwack

Carl & Sue Brochu
37 Dartmouth Street
Laconia, NH 03246-3002

I could post more info but I think I have it covered in the forum. But if you need more something from me to confirm my honest and trustworthy intentions please contact me. And let me know what I can do. I don’t normally reach out to strangers on the NET but you have recently become a member of this family. So for some reason I automatically have a good feeling.
As I had posted. I hope someone gets you to visit your husband from time to time. My dear Mother spent over ten years at Poet Seat Nursing Home in Greenfield MA. She had Multiple Sclerosis, and was actually far to young to be in a place like that but...............................
.............................................................................................................