Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

hand pump on the fritz Options
macloudd
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 2:41:16 AM

Try checking the leather gasket in the plunger,sounds to me like it is worn out.You may also try installing a check valve at the bottom of the well pipe.
pate20135
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 12:24:07 PM

Definately check the ''leathers''. But MacCloud may be off, ''single leather'' pumps are not that common, most are ''multi''.

If thee finds a fault, then my best suggestion is to go to Lehmans, they have all sizes, and/or will custom. Actually, I would contact them now, they most likely can tell thee over the phone if single/multi, and give thee a quick breakdown of how to break it down, safely, and with little danger of ''losing''. Some pumps, if thee does not know the tricks, will ''lose'' a portion down the tube, then you would have to replace the whole thing.

BTW, how old are the leathers? We replace every five years. While for the garden, and therefore I am guessing not for consumption, leathers need to be replaced for baterial (spelling?) reasons.

Take care,

Pate
weeknee
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 12:41:21 AM

There are no leathers in my pump.Its a fine example of chinese craftsmanship that i bought about 3 years ago.I do understand the leathers part tho. Ive taken it apart before and it has a funky hard rubber stopper that draws up the water.I think maybe a foreign body has gotten down the pump and possibly scored the rubber stopper causing loss of prime.When i get a chance,ill tear it apart again.
macloudd
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 2:58:22 AM

Yea,I may be out of date on the pump thing,last one I fooled with I turned into a lamp for my Mom over 20 years ago.(Bacterial)?
pate20135
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:07:15 AM

Weeknee,
If rubber, still I would advise going to Lehmans. I know of one such hand pump in this enclave, and that is where they got the replacment parts.

Pate
weeknee
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:05:55 AM

Thanx,if i cant fix it myself then ill try Lehmans
pate20135
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 4:06:22 AM

Doug, yes, ''Bacterial'', thanks.

Weeknee, another thought, how deep is this well? Has thee seen the plans for the ''hand splasher'' type emergency pumps? We have one as backup for all our shallow wells. Just in case a ''leather'' fails, etc. Why don''t we just keep leathers? Well, they don''t ''shelf'' well. I would grab an extra ''rubber'' though.

Pate
jdcox
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2003 9:24:31 PM

By the way........which pump maker makes the best hand pump? Foot pump?
pate20135
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:23:23 PM

Hermit,

That is like asking what hammer is best, it depends on the application.

Pate
jdcox
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:51:41 PM

Of course...sorry.......we are going to have an off-grid home. We have to. The grid is miles away and I hope it stays there. So, minimizing ''powered assistance'' is essential. When Sally and I lived on our sailboat, we pumped water from the tanks with a foot pump to the galley (or head) sink. Worked like a charm. Conserved water, too. WHALE made one. PERKO used to make one, too. I think GUSHER still does. And that was where I was going to go. But a nice, heavy, simple brass bell-pump, foot operated would be neat to have in the cabin''s kitchen. A foot pump frees up your hands and keeps the counter uncluttered. It struck me that the OOM/Amish might have employed one. I''d also really like to figure out how to do a pressure water tank by foot pump so that we could ''foot-power'' a shower.
Capacity has to be at least 4gal/minute for a shower but that is what the WHALE/PERKO/GUSHER plastic wonders did.
I also intended to install a human-powered ''mist'' maker for cooling the outdoor deck in the Summertime. You know the type - like a fine spray that evaporates over your head cooling the area?
weeknee
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:51:41 PM

I have a well out back that i put a hand pump on to water the garden with. It seems here lately that i keep losing the prime in the pump. Its been awfully hot,so i figured that the water in the pump was evaporating with the heat,but thats not the case.Once its primed it works like a dream.The well seems to be ok,with no lowering of the water table. Anyone got any suggestions or ideas?