Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Question about adhesives Options
macloudd
#1 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 1:39:26 AM

I would consider hot wax.It isn''t toxic,it helps get the log burning and keeps it lit.I make fire starters from cardboard egg cartons.You take some sawdust and mix in hot wax and spoon them into the egg carton.Once they have hardened,you cut them apart and when starting a fire you throw a few in with the kindling and they get the fire roaring in short order.
pate20135
#2 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 2:44:42 AM

Wax is correct. In the enclave where I grew up, we had a ''hammer mill''. Basically a slurry (liquid borne solids) pulverizer. We threw all collected ''junk mail'' in the area, threw it into the ''water soup'' in the mill and ''liquid mulched''. Then we would drain, add beeswax (most common and cheapest) and fired it up again. While still warm, would throw ''slurry'' into moulds, usually metal ice trays, and let cool / dry.

Here we collect our sawdust, and ''shake and bake'' in the wax. In this case the wax is also locally produced, and is not ''set'' but still in a liquid form.

The Conros Corporation, hqed in Toronto, has a plant nearby. They melt wax in molds, and then press in the ''filler''. ''StarterLogg'' is the brandname. The press in is done with a ''drop forge hammer'' that they bought from Stanley, from an old hammer manufacturing plant.

A tip for thee, that leeching of the paper, released a lot of very toxic chemicals. And newspaper is no better. I hope thy stove/fireplace is airtight.

Take care,

Pate

StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 5:09:21 AM

You guys are talking about fire starters.

I didn''t make myself clear...I am interested in the full-sized "logs" that are used to take the place of real firewood. I am looking for an inexpensive, clean-burning binder of some sort.

Thanks
pate20135
#4 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 5:14:43 AM

Street, same process, different filler. Go to a store and look at some of those ''crackling logs'', wax based.

There are ''celulose'' adhesives that might work. But then thee has mixing problems, which the wax partially solves.

Question, is this for a fireplace or stove? Or is it a ''monster under the stairs'' such as a momma or poppa bear? If a ''monster'', used crankcase oil works nicely, if well pressed.

Pate
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 3:34:52 PM

Thanks Pate,

What I had in mind would be for a fireplace or stove, maybe also pressed into pellets. I''ll check out the "competition" a little more closely.

I''m reluctant to try to press oil...that concept is what drives my truck engine. How do you suggest compressing motor oil?

---

The only time I ever shot a 458 Winchester Magnum was at an old, cast-iron hydraulic door closer. It must have been a well-placed shot-the resulting fireball was about 20 feet in diameter. I must have compressed the oil "just right". :)
jdcox
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2003 9:27:54 PM

I recall a machine from the Far East that was hand-powered and pressed combustibles (from dung to bamboo) into a cylinder along with wax and any other accelerant to make what was called an ''Elephant Log''. Anyone heard of this machine? Where it can be bought?
pate20135
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:16:31 PM

Street,

Sorry, I see I was not clear. The process is to put the binding agent (hot wax, oil, cellulose glue, etc) in the bottom of a mold, put in the aggregate (sawdust, chips, paper mulch, etc), and press it. The aggregate absorbs the binding agent during and after the press. The aggregate reexpands, and that is how the real saturation occurs.

Clearer?

Pate
StreetLegal
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:16:31 PM

Anyone know what adhesive (or other "binder") would work best for a fire log?