Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
lizard wrangling and other funny pet stories Options
earthy44
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 3:03:24 AM

We have a lizard too! What kind do you have? We lost a leapord gecko in our apartment and she came back on her own three weeks later, fatter than when she left. She mostly ate the spiders living in our apartment I think. She was no worse for wear. Hope you get her to come back!
Sheila
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 6:49:42 PM

Hi Earthy, and welcome. She''s an adolescent Colombian Black and White Tegu. My nephew has a leopard gecko, though.....

Yesterday while I was off at a funeral the Mr. and his brother were able to safely round her up and return her to her home.
Bruce Holman
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 3:25:25 PM

On our kid''s 18th birthday a group of his friends came galloping into the house, and up stairs to his room. The last kid looked back and asked, "You don''t mind if we give Alex a lizard, do you?"
"How big is it? I asked.
"Oh, about three inches long..." was the reply.

Our kid went off to college, and we got custody of the lizard.
Over the years the beast grew to almost three feet long!!!
It had the mental powers of an oyster...
Claws like razor blades...
Jaws like a snapping turtle.
And a whip-like tail that could raise welts.
Although vegetarian, it liked the taste of human blood (usually mine)...
It outgrew the suscession of cages I built for it, but what really made it happy was to escape and climb to the top of the bookshelves where it was almost impossible to catch except while wearing welder''s gloves.

A friend who likes lizards admired it, so he now owns it, or vice versa.
Galeshka
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 10:33:38 PM

Hmmm, I have a gorgeous cat that bleats like a goat. He''s a very chatty chocolate Burmese.....think your friend might find him admirable as well? he he

Be well.....
Sheila
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2003 4:00:13 AM

My Hina cat (that''s her name) is very chatty too. Noisy is probably a more accurate term. She''s probably lynxpoint Siamese, or at least mostly that. And she''s a tiny little cat, maybe 7 pounds on a good day. My Ti''i boy cat is an enormous domestic shorthair (closing in on 20 lbs. and he''s lean. He can steal from the kitchen counter while standing on the floor on his hind legs. Big boy) who has the tiniest little squeak of a voice. It''s pretty funny.

Now we won''t even talk about how loud my basset hounds can be, not to mention the pig!
Galeshka
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2003 4:17:50 PM

How about a soccer playing lab mix?

Be well....
EliezerSilver
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 12:44:39 AM

We have a virtual zoo at the not so virtual homestead, especially in the lizard department.... two bearded dragons, 5 leopard geckos, & 2 african fat tail geckoes. Our chamelon Bartleby died recently, and while we''re mourning him now, we are thinking about getting a new mating pair in the spring. Once I''m home more, I''d like to start breeding the dragons and leos on a slightly more extensive scale and selling some of the babies as I find these two species make great pets for older kids. We raise all of our own insects for liz food too - helps out a lot. :)
Sheila
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 2:49:13 AM

We keep a mouse colony for our lizard. Not only does it save us money, but we know how the mice have been cared for. I''ve no idea what the "feeders" at the store are exposed to. And the cats do enjoy watching over the cage of mice. We call it "cat cable tv."
Bruce Holman
#9 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 3:01:12 AM

We adopted a scrawny kitten who showed up at our door starved, sick, cold and pregnant.
Cat''sme''potterpurrbright is now sleek, and has her own heated cat-sleeping-box (it''s located over a heat-vent in the laundry room).
Her activities consist mostly of hoarding food, sleeping on our bed when she gets the chance, and identifying my shoes as prey!
Galeshka
#10 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 4:41:27 AM

Well, along with Henrik.....the bleating cat......and Larsson, the soccer playing dog...we also have Sir Thomas Munchalot, the fiercest ginger-haired cat eunuch in the county. They''ll be joined (in spring) by some very tasty......eventually.....li''l rabbits.

Be well......
Sheila
#11 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 8:20:59 AM

Ask nicely and I''ll tell the story of the July 4th that resulted in a broken futon, a cat in the file cabinet, and a cat calling 911!
Galeshka
#12 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 5:24:35 PM

purdy please Sheila......oops! erm....well, I''m not good at begging, but I would like to read your story Sheila...

Be well......
Sheila
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 02, 2003 3:08:16 AM

More than nicely enough asked, Galeshka (and I''m glad to hear you''re not good at begging) so here goes:

Background: We promote our products at fairs during the summer months (which is why I "disappear" from the forum during that time.) Our local fair, the San Diego County Fair, runs over the 4th of July each year. So we always have someone come home and put the animals in the house, feed them, and make them comfortable so that they''re not disturbed by the loud noises, flashes of light, or some michievous child throwing firecrackers at them. For the past few years my daughter had done this. In 2002, she wasn''t available, so the Mr. went home to do the honors.

The fair is open from 10 am to midnight on the 4th, so I''d left home at about 9:15 am and returned about 12:30 am. The Mr. was pulling up in the other car (we go in at different times) when I walked up to the front door. I immediately noticed that while the security screen was shut, the wooden door was not (I hadn''t bothered to give him detailed directions on how to secure the pets....figured he knew). As soon as I put my key into the lock, my basset, Gracie, started whining from inside the house. This behavior was not typical. When I entered, here is what I found:

Opie the pig was asleep on the floor. The sofa was broken. It''s a metal-framed futon (no point in pricey furniture with all the critters in the house, right?) and the welds had been broken on one end, taking the arm off. The sofa, which sits perpendicular to the wall, had been "walked" out about 9 inches. Gracie was on the floor between the sofa and the wall, scared to death. Glory, her sister, was curled up in the beanbag chair, oblivious. Ti''i the wondercat ran to me. I had to look around for Hina the cat. Finally found her closed up in a file cabinet drawer. And the phone was off the hook.

Here''s what we figured out happened: Opie was asleep on the sofa at the end farthest from the wall, and Gracie was asleep on the other end of the sofa, when the noise broke out. Opie DOES NOT like loud noises. He panicked, bolted, but got his head stuck in the arm of the futon. Being a pig, he just powered forward until he got free--which broke the sofa. We confirmed this suspicion when we found a few small scratches/nicks on him from where sharp bits were exposed when the sofa broke. His powering through scared Gracie, and walked the sofa out from the wall, so she bailed out to the only space available to her--stuck between the sofa and the wall. Hina the cat had been asleep, we believe, in the file cabinet closest to the arm of the sofa--Opie''s bashing about slammed the file door shut. Ti''i, the wondercat, was obviously on the phone calling for help. He''s an amazing cat: see my post in the cat litter thread for more about him.

None of the reptiles was disturbed.

Needless to say, this year when the Mr. went home to care for the animals on 7/4, I gave him detailed instructions that involved closing wooden doors, running fans if it was too warm inside, and turning the TV and radio way up!
Galeshka
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2003 7:06:53 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Definitely a story worth waiting for (and apologies for not getting here sooner to read it). I needed that smile Sheila, thanks!

Be well....
Sheila
#15 Posted : Monday, December 08, 2003 12:21:39 AM

Any ole time, Galeshka. There''s never a dull moment around here with these critters.
Bruce Holman
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2003 5:34:06 AM

...Then there was the time when Stupid Lizard wrapped his tail around a branch I''d provided in his pen, and fell asleep and slipped off the branch.
As Nature intended, the tail broke off. Otherwise I might have found Stupid hanging upside down trying to come up with Idea Number Two.
I treated the break point with NeoSporin (backpacker''s penicillin), and it healed fine.
The real problem was disposing of the left-over lizard tail. I mean, you wouldn''t want to encounter it in the compost heap next Spring, would you?
I buried it with military honors.
Sheila
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2003 7:24:14 AM

How many guns in the salute, Bruce? (and how do they figure that out, anyway?)

Anyone want to hear about the pig that fetches toilet paper on command?
Bruce Holman
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2003 3:46:26 AM

"...A pig that fetches..."
Of course!
Galeshka
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2003 5:05:26 PM

LOL, tell us the story about the paper pig Sheila (have you thought of writing a book?? *grin*).

Be well......
skruzich
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2003 6:07:16 PM

Odo, (my late minature schnauzer), used to sleep on the couch where my wife sits. One day he woke up to a big butt coming down at him and he scrambled out of the way, still having his hind feet caught under her butt. He pulled them out and ran over to me looking at me with amazement in his eyes, giving me a grumble that sounded like aww aww aww aww aww. I could hear in his grumble, Did you see that, my life passed before my eyes! Man that was a close one!