Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Insuring a house with Asbestos siding Options
homegrowntomatoes
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:59:24 PM

Yep, a racket second only to the mafia and the IRS! ;) I think you might check with Allstate; my mom''s house has the old asbestos shingle siding (which, I might add, holds paint great as the last time it was painted I was in 4th grade, and only the eaves and overhangs are really needing a new paint job) and she has Allstate homeowners insurance. Good luck!
zoebisch01
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:05:28 PM

thx hgt, the AAA agent was like "oh we can''t insure that!, and anyone that does it will be astronomical". Like I am going to have people outside snorting the asbestos as they grind it with a grinder wheel. Ridiculous.
ginger71
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:40:49 PM

Please name the offending company, Zoe, or does ''AAA'' mean Triple A and not an expletive;).
Just for jollies, I called State Farm (my company) and was told they have no problem with it (maybe since more than half the older homes around here are covered in asbestos siding).
wannabe
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:36:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zoebisch01

"oh we can''t insure that!, and anyone that does it will be astronomical".

Sounds pretty absurd. Does your agent realize how many millions of homes have this stuff? It would be pretty hard to believe that all those homes out there with this are uninsured. Many of the ones out there are in lower-income neighborhoods and probably financed with a very low loan-to-value ratio on an FHA loan: a deal like that just does NOT go through without insurance. It sounds like your agent might be a little inexperienced.

I used to have AAA, but I switched to Allstate many years ago specifically because I didn''t like my agent (he was a real piece-of-work!).
practicalman45
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:50:20 PM

I would have guessed that asbestos siding would get you a preferrential rate on homeowners insurance since the darn stuff absolutely will NOT burn. It should provide quite a bit of protection from wildfires. That sort of siding, and my new metal roof, makes me feel a lot safer if a grass-fire were to sweep through here!
L Major Jr
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:40:53 PM

In addition to the added safety from brush fires the asbestos siding is manufactured differently than the asbestos insulation and pipe wrap. It doesn’t have loose fibers like they do so it poses no safety issues unless you are cutting or grinding away at it.

I think your agent didn’t know his arse from a hole in the ground or maybe his company doesn’t. Either way, you are better off going elsewhere.
Silent
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:48:07 AM

It is, however, suggested that you paint it with an oil-based paint to reduce friability.
zoebisch01
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:27:45 AM

Yeah tell me about it! I know how stupid it is. The lady actually SCOFFED at my wife! She was like "Oh no, that is a MAJOR NO NO! It will be nearly impossible to insure that". So I think once we get a carrier for it I''ll call back and be like "well look who lost an account." hehe. Asbestos siding is so common.
Fredsterman
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:13:39 AM

Your insurance agent will find a way to insure your house, but you won''t like the premiums[8)]
As in barbarians at the gates.. ish[;)]
I have a plan[;)]
Lie[8] Don''t call the siding asbestos fiber.
Never, EVER speak the word asbestos in earshot of them.
Try the phrase "fiberglass reinforced, circa 1970...)
Or mineral wool..[8]
zoebisch01
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:24:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredsterman

Your insurance agent will find a way to insure your house, but you won''t like the premiums[8)]
I have a plan[;)]
Or mineral wool..[8]

Yeah I know the premiums are going to hurt. I can''t bring myself to lie about it, but I suppose unless they don''t ask don''t tell. I think the AAA agent pulled it out of my wife [:(]. Reminds me of folks building straw bale homes, you are supposed to say the walls are insulated with cellulose material. hehe. I wonder what would happen say if a study came out linking vinyl products to health issues.
wannabe
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:55:59 PM

If you lie about it, you might get a policy. But then when it comes time to make a claim and they find out what material it was (whether or not it had anything to do with what you''re making a claim on), they''ll use it to avoid paying the claim and will probably drop the policy. Then you will have been paying for nothing the whole time you had the policy. Better to be up-front about it and find an insurer who has a clue. Of course a don''t-ask-don''t-tell policy wouldn''t be a bad idea, but a flat-out lie when asked about it is another story. (no pun intended)
The Big Lebowski
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:08:06 PM

I''m not sure about abestos here but I do know that if you have knob and tube wiring the insurance company won''t insure you till you change it over.
wannabe
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:20:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Big Lebowski

I''m not sure about abestos here but I do know that if you have knob and tube wiring the insurance company won''t insure you till you change it over.

Well, that makes more sense. Old wiring is a legitimate hazard, and it is understandable that an insurance company would be concerned about it. The house is more likely to burn down, and thus the chances of them having to pay a huge claim.

Asbestos siding, however, is not a hazard to anyone unless you grind it into a powder and snort it (or saw it and breathe the saw dust), and then it is only a hazard to one''s body and not the property itself. And it is so common and so difficult to safely remove and so harmless if left in tact, that it seems unreasonable in the extreme to not insure it. It sounds like Zoe''s agent is just uninformed and has the knee-jerk panic reaction that many have to the word "asbestos" because the only thing they know about it is that it is something that gets mentioned on the news in a negative context.
skruzich
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:15:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zoebisch01

quote:
Originally posted by Fredsterman

I have a plan[;)]
Or mineral wool..[8]

NEVER NEVER volenteer information. IF they ask a direct question like"is your house sided with asbestos" then you answer truthfully. But unless they ask that, I wouldn''t admit to it.
Its not lying if you aren''t asked directly.

Yeah I know the premiums are going to hurt. I can''t bring myself to lie about it, but I suppose unless they don''t ask don''t tell. I think the AAA agent pulled it out of my wife [:(]. Reminds me of folks building straw bale homes, you are supposed to say the walls are insulated with cellulose material. hehe. I wonder what would happen say if a study came out linking vinyl products to health issues.

zoebisch01
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:02:28 PM

Boy that agent really put us in a pinch. Last minute scrambling now to find insurance before tomorrow. I am beginning to think she belongs to the dark side. Oh and the guy that was supposed to look at it yesterday accidentally shredded our information. Oh and plus the Mortgage company is making us jump through a million gazillion hoops now. STRESS LEVEL RISING....
turtlehead
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:13:19 PM

We played hell getting our place insured, too, Zoe.

First of all, we couldn''t get it insured because we were living in Atlanta and the house is in WV. We shopped around until we found a company that would insure it under a "seasonal occupancy" policy, like you''d get for a vacation home.

Then when we moved in, various insurance companies wouldn''t insure us because:

1. We are too remote (20 miles from town and drive is 1/3 mile dirt)
2. We have a german shepherd dog
3. We have a wood burning stove
[V]

There were more companies but I forget now the other reasons we were turned down. We finally got a policy that protects us from natural destructive forces but not liability (if someone gets hurt on our property). Something about liability being tied to something else, and with our propery the "something else" is impossible, so the liability is impossible just because them''s the rules.

So, we still need to shop for a separate liability policy. [xx(]

Sheesh.
skruzich
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:17:35 PM

Turtlehead, post your land no tresspassing. Also post a disclaimer for injuries on your place. Take pictures. I don''t know how much more you can protect yourself other than that.
turtlehead
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:29:11 PM

Oooh, Steve! Good idea on the postings, especially the injury disclaimer! You''re so smart, I bet you know to take the sugar bowl to the coffee cup instead of balancing the spoon full of sugar halfway across the kitchen.

edited to add - the smart comment was just picking on you, but I do like the disclaimer idea. Thanks.
wannabe
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:53:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turtlehead

So, we still need to shop for a separate liability policy. [xx(]

Sheesh.

So, can I come over to your place and sit on a tree branch while holding a super hot cup of coffee in one hand and cutting of the branch I''m sitting on with a handheld circular saw in the other hand?
skruzich
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:23:56 PM

Not bad for a redneck huh.

quote:
Originally posted by turtlehead

Oooh, Steve! Good idea on the postings, especially the injury disclaimer! You''re so smart, I bet you know to take the sugar bowl to the coffee cup instead of balancing the spoon full of sugar halfway across the kitchen.

edited to add - the smart comment was just picking on you, but I do like the disclaimer idea. Thanks.