Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

BIOGAS Options
J.D. Clark
#1 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 3:23:55 PM

I''m not sure a single-family septic tank is a reliable methane producer in the quantity you need. Everything I''ve read on the subject, going back to the original Mother experiments on the Shuttleworth family farm in Ohio (?), indicates that you need sizeable inputs and regular maintenance. The only privately owned working biogas systems I''m aware of in the US are on dairy farms where large quantities of manure are available daily. In those cases, the gas fuels a generator that powers the farm equipment and pumps excess electricity into the local grid, while the waste engine heat goes to barns and greenhouses. Some municipalities and utilities have tapped old landfills for the methane produced by rotting garbage, not sure how extensive that is.

In India, the biogas operations are usually village sized, altho some work has been done on smaller units. (One experiment involved using an inner tube as the digester and gas collector.) But Indian peasants have much lower energy requirements than the run-of-the-mill American household, so I''m not sure about the comparision.

Cash
crwmdpmr
#2 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 10:32:42 PM

I was really thinking of only
making enough biogas to run the
burners on the stove. There is
a couple in New Zealand doing this
now but their site is a little
sketchy on the details. I would like
to build a zero energy house and
even a small amount of gas could
help achieve this goal.
DanR
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2003 3:38:57 PM

The best source for methene is chicken dropings. A batch fed unit would be your best way to go if you had a source of chickens. We have a large chicken and turkey processing plant and the farmers love to sell the manure. Continuous feed would work only if you had a constant steady supply of your own. It will work. Just takes getting the plans and having the patience to wait for the batch to "cook off".
srj
#4 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2003 3:56:29 PM

hi all this link maybe of intereast
http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/fuel_making.html
ray
crwmdpmr
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2003 12:11:16 AM

Thanks SRJ that was useful link
crwmdpmr
#6 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2003 1:02:07 AM

Does anyone know of any companies selling
small scale contious feed biogas generators,
or offering plans for one?
DanR
#7 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2003 2:14:28 PM

Crwmdpmr:

The magazine "BackHome" had a set of plans published several issues back. Check with Majere, I think he has an index for that magazine.
Mark
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2003 7:20:02 PM

If you find the BackHome article, please post it. May be interested in a barter of hardcopy articles...see below. Thanks.

Mother Earth News produced an article a while back providing information and a diagram of the Chinese concrete methane digesters that can be constructed at low cost. It is entitled Sichuan’s Home-scale Biogas Digesters and is in May/June 1981 issue, pg 120-121. If you do not have access to these materials, I would be willing to mail you the article….no need to worry about cost reimbursement….it is only a 2 page article. I also have other pdf (Acrobat Reader) journal articles that detail low-cost instruction plans for both the Indian and Chinese anaerobic digesters. Let me know if you are interested in me emailing you the pdf files and mailing the MEN article.

Mark
crwmdpmr
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2003 7:20:02 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CAPTURING
METHANE FROM A RURAL SEPTIC TANK. SINCE
MOST SOLAR SYSTEMS CAN'T HALD RESISTIVE
HEATING AND COOKING IT SEEMS LIKE THIS
MIGHT BE ONE PIECE OF THE PICTURE IN
A ZERO ENERGY HOME. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING
THIS IN INDIA BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY REALLY
GOOD INFORMATION ON HOW THIS IS WORKING OUT>