Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Energy costs: I'll show you mine.... Options
CRZ
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 3:32:07 AM

I''m also in CA. My monthly PG+E bill (gas and electric) is $58.00 per month on the level pay program. We have a superinsulated home (12 yrs old) and we are watchful how we use it. I think we''re doing OK. Gas is expected to increase by 1/3. Ouch!!!

How about others?

skruzich
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 5:08:52 AM

I don''t know the breakdown as i don''t have the bill in front of me, but the average bill this summer june - october has been 250 dollars a month.
Wintertime i pay 125 bucks a month and i heat with propane.
And the power companies got a rate increase this month.
I am in North Georgia.
steve
crownlady
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:48:40 PM

We are in Indiana and our utility bill is averaged so we pay the same each month. Gas and electricity averages $232.00 per month. (Thank goodness we are on the budget plan as some months last winter we would have had to pay $500.)
In our area we get letters from the utility company (NIPSCO) to lock in our price and they will sell it to us at that price for one year. So far we have not done that. Heard others say it was not a great deal.
crownlady
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:49:49 PM

By the way Shelia, what it your total for the month. Just curious.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:57:53 PM

What really gripes me about my bill is that TVA is about 20 miles from me, but I can''t get it yet the lakes we have up here, and around me go to run the TVA generators. TVA customers have low electric bills, while i have a 1000 sqft home and pay over 200 bucks a month, my mom has all electric 2800 sqft home and her bill is 180 per month.
Sheila
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 6:26:13 PM

CRZ--What part of CA? I''m assuming somewhere northerly, as you mention PG &E

Crownlady--the total with all the taxes etc. was $109.26. That''s about average for us. Our heat (which we haven''t used yet this fall), hot water, clothes dryer and range are all natural gas.
CRZ
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 8:50:46 PM

Madera CA!
DanR
#8 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 2:40:05 PM

Here in South Carolina, on the Co-op, is about $.12 kwh. We are all electric but we do get a credit for allowing the co-op to cut off our hot water heater from 5pm to 9pm each week day during the summer and as needed, for no more than 30 minutes, in the winter. We do have "gas logs" in our fireplace and we do use them to help cut back on the heatpump usage during the winter, especially when it is extreemly cold. Bills average around $100.00 total. In addition, we have 15 florecent(sic) bulbs in the most high use lights. Cuts power usage by 3/4.
lytey
#9 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 3:00:16 PM

Our bill with the coop has changed and its a little confusing now, they have it split up...electric supply services and electric distribution services. under those is generation cost ($50.54) and fuel factor and distribution service which was $53.48 what all this stuff is I dont have a clue. We are all electric right now but in adding on to the house we are putting in a wood stove. We used about 1153 KWH last month In winter our bill climbs to around 200-250 maybe a little bit more using 2175-3264kWh. Does anybody know what the fuel factor is?it costs about $13.80 last month. Lyte
DanR
#10 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 3:18:56 PM

Lyte:

The fuel factor is the addition fuil cost over a "base price" that the producer has to pay and is passed on to you. As an example, if the average cost of fuil is, say $25.00 a ton for coal, and the producer, because of a shortage has to pay $30.00 for that same ton, then they pass on the additional cost to the consumer, you. Here, in South Carolina, the Public Service Commision sets the rates that utilities charge for their product. However, they do allow the companies to pass along any additional cost to the consumer. Because the company is regulated, they are "garenteed(sic)" a certain level of profit. If, however, they charge too much and make too large a profit, then they have to issue a "rebate" by reducing your bill, or bills, depending on how much over they went. Hope this helps.
mikeg
#11 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 5:10:11 PM

In southern Indiana our cost on a fixed monthly rate of $118 is for a 2200 SQ FT home all electric. actual bill was $106 for 1813 kwh The Kentucky rate is lower than that.
crownlady
#12 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 6:09:53 PM

My Nipsco sounds like the winner. The highest. $232.00 month gas and electricity. I always knew NIPSCO was a winner..lol. I am thinking of using plug in electric heaters this winter. Maybe in the family room and in the bedroom areas. We have gas fireplaces but when I turn them on all the heat from the fireplace and the room shoots up the fireplace and it is colder than ever. The furnace runs and the chimney flue draws all the warm air right out. Plus to run that fireplace costs an arm and a leg. Gets my husband all worked up everytime I turn it on. Any thoughts on the heaters and fireplace problem.
mikeg
#13 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 6:24:21 PM

I would go with the oil filed heaters they don''t cycle off and on as much and radiate more. Glass doors on the fire place and outside combustion air with a damper will help you a lot.
lytey
#14 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 7:26:36 PM

DanR, thanks I also learned in our coop monthly that came out today that the reason it is seperated on the bill is because we have a choice in energy suppliers but not distributors....learning more every day. Thanks Lyte
crownlady
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 1:33:13 PM

We have the glass doors sitting in a cabinet. They were not on when we bought the house. We also have a blower on that fireplace that blows the hot air into the room. I find it blows it into the room and right back out the chimney. I shall try putting those doors on. I am not sure what "Outside combustion air with a damper" means.
skruzich
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 1:50:21 PM

Got this months electric bill in,
26 days 926kw used, 90 bucks.

last month
30 days 1930 kw 200 bucks
last year same period
26 days 1150 kw 100 bucks

Kinda funny that my kw usage dropped 1000kw and i haven''t ran my air any less last month.

I am paying 10 bucks in junk fees and taxes too.
CRZ
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 3:00:50 PM

That''s a lot of KW''s

We use 300 KW''s per month!
Sheila
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:23:45 PM

Steve--

We got a bill once that was all out of whack in terms of our usage (way too high). I called the co. and they were able to have me look at my meter while we were on the phone and determine that an "error" had been made in reading it. They adjusted my bill.
skruzich
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 12:44:24 AM

I am watching the meter too, and it supposedly is on track. They don''t read the meter every month, its usage is transmitted back to the electric company down the power lines.
Meter man couldn''t get in the yard to read the meter if he tried ;) my Dogs would have him tree''d within 5 feet of entering the gate.
What really torques me off is they change the rates all the time, i know that the rate just dropped per kw. We were paying 250 bucks a month for 1200kw usage during the summer. Grrrrr
Steve Lindsay
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 1:51:26 PM

WOW ! I couldn''t afford some of those power bills! I live in N. Central Florida. 1050 sq. ft. D/W mobile home, all electric,well insulated.I use a water heater timer, & all flourescent lights. I stay comfortable yaer round. Highest winter bill[ yes, it gets cold here]$66 Summer $80. $0815/kwh