Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
I built my first fire! Options
Apemanevo
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 5:55:05 PM

My best tip is for concentrating the stream of air as you blow on the fire to get it started. Make a diamond using both index fingers and thumbs, the best way to describe it is make two "OK" signs and touch the tips of you fingers together, then flatten them out to make a diamond space about 1/4" across. Press to your lips and blow. Turns your lungs into a bellows...works like magic, even on damp starter material.
Garden Lad
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 7:50:41 PM

You go girl!

One question: Are you talking about an indoor or outdoor fire? In a stove, fireplace, or what? Starting techniques can be different.
begimorst
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 10:24:20 PM

Fireplace. Thanks.
majere
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 10:41:58 PM

Begimorst,

I personally use my own homemade fire starters made from wax and pine cones.

A suggested compromise between the two of thee. A kero wand. This is a ceramic headed metal wand that normally rests, head down, in a crock pot of kero. Usually with a wooden handle. When ready to light the fire, pull the wand from the crock, twirl it like thee would a honey dipper, place into the fireplace, light, and build fire around it. Once fire started, pull out wand, let cool, put back in crock. Such are available via many cataloges, such as Lehmans and Cumberland. Perhaps an Xmas present?

In contrast to Apemanevo, one can also get ''trumpets'' to keep from singing the hands/face. Think of a reversed ''straight'' horn, one blows into the big bell. A piece of copper tubing with one end belled is common too.

Take care,

Majere
skruzich
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2003 11:24:40 PM

You can use a hair dryer for the bellows ;)
But really begimorst, the kerosene is much more fun you know. Booom!!!
Garden Lad
#6 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 12:28:47 AM

I make fire-starters out of beeswax and sawdust.

Used to make them in a baking pan, then break the sheet apart. But then started making them in the mini-muffin cups. Line the molds with the paper inserts, fill with sawdust and/or wood shavings, and pour melted wax into them, making sure the wood gets saturated.

When ready to use, build your tinder & kindling pile over one of these. Light the paper. Then start adding your heavier wood.

There are probably as many ways to build and start a fire as there are people lighting them. Trick is to find a method you''re comfortable with, and stick with it.

Once you''re really with it, I''ll teach you how to start one with flint & steel instead of matches.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 12:39:59 AM

If you have lots of pines around, you can find rotted pine trees that have fallen and dig the center core out. We call this lighter knot here, and all you have to do is strike a match and it starts burning immediately.
srj
#8 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 5:01:01 AM

just another way with wax collect some dryer lint & fiber egg cartans (not styrafoam),,, stuff the lint in the egg holders slowley add wax when cool then ya can cut or just stack till ya need em

steve yep pine heart makes fine starter,, have seen it being marketed here as FATWOOD for the well heeled at 4 to 6 bucks for a small bag ,

Marjeres wax & pine cones work very well but heres a lil twist for ya mix some liquid potpouri or vanella,, whatever smells good in the wax and dip cones in leave in a open basket or ????decrative & useful

just a word caution use a double boiler method to melt parifin wax ,,not sure if it applies beeswax
tc ray
skruzich
#9 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 5:10:29 AM

beeswax is highly flammable too. BUT it doesn''t need any smell good added to it, beeswax has a fragrance. I however wouldn''t use any beeswax like that as i can get 4 bucks a pound wholesale for it, and if i get it cleaned up enough, I can sell it for 10 bucks a pound to the specialty candlemakers.

steve
srj
#10 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 5:26:36 AM

yep i know beeswax has a fragrence,, i should have said smell goodies to the parifin wax ,put the bee''s on overtime ;)
tc ray
dropkick
#11 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 10:35:06 AM

When you get more experience with it you will find it gets easier and easier.
As I grew up with woodstoves and fireplaces I don''t use anything fancy to start an indoor fire.
I just chop some kindling off of a dry log with a hatchet and pile it in a tee pee shape,(sometimes I cheat and put in some newspaper) and start it on the bottom/inside. (kitchen matches work best)
The trick is to leave enough room for the fire to breath and also stack so that the smaller pieces are in the middle.
Once it gets going good just add some bigger pieces.
While this may sound difficult once you get the nack it is easy.

Now for outdoor fires I either use a candle, or a mix of waste oil and kerosene for starter (depending on weather and fuel).
macloudd
#12 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 12:54:08 PM

A source of wax you may not have thought about,a church.My dad worked at a church when I was a kid and they had tons of partially burned candles just sitting around taking up space.
Apemanevo
#13 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 3:09:10 PM

Majere...

By using your fingers as I described it actually allows you to apply a concentrated stream of air while remaining away from the fire...I have semi-ahggy curley hair, so if it was gonna get burned doing this it would have by now! The trumpet you described would provide the same, if not better results, but I''m not carrying it in my backpack if I don''t need to!
lytey
#14 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 3:09:13 PM

We always rolled newspaper lengthwise and then tied it into a knot piled the kindling over it and lit the end one or two is all thats needed and it got rid of our Sunday paper!
mikeg
#15 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 5:28:36 PM

News paper balls under twigs and topped by dry split wood is what I use in the wood stove but I went the easy way in the fire place propane log starter. Turn on the gas when the logs catch turn off the gas.
skruzich
#16 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 11:41:26 PM

You could do it the way i used to when i was a kid, take moms hair spray and a bic lighter hehe
Sheila
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:32:32 PM

The Mr. uses hair spray as the "fuel" in his potato gun....(some kids never grow up!)
skruzich
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 12:53:48 AM

Hehe, tell the Mr. to use some lighter fluid or even ether ;) hehe
srj
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 3:25:27 AM

yeee haaaaw Skruz knew ya had to be a pyro at heart,, personally i like ether with a touch of oxygen added

Sheila what ingnition does the MR use a piezo or spark plug or ??
grow up nope never if i can help it ;-)have been kicking around a design for a canon to shoot water ballons from a canoe for float trips,,,,oooopppppssss
strayed from topic again
tc ray
skruzich
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 4:48:33 AM

The best potato cannon i have ever built was made out of a piece of pipe that you use for the gates on a chainlink fence. Then you take a hairspray can and cut it about 3 inches from the bottom and slide it over one end of the pipe. Take a 1/8" drill bit and drill hole in center of can, then take potato and place into other end, squirt some ether up the 1/8" hole, doesn''t take much, a squirt or two will do, and flick the bic. Also launches tomatos cucumbers and squash, pumpkin and watermelon. Never tried pine cones though. Might make a great flaming missle though if you dip the cone in some rubbing alchohol before putting into pipe.
Might make for some great shows at night