Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123
in search of help Options
domi
#41 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 1:25:25 AM

I do talk in celsius and belive me it''s more cold then you can think. Can you explain two terms that are use that i don''t know what they mean(LOL-Y2K).BTW,0 celsius is 32 faherenheit,JUST IMAGINE!!!Send sun !!Need it .DOMI
Garden Lad
#42 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 2:24:03 AM

Domi,

LOL is an abbreviation. It means Laughing Out Loud.

Y2K was the term used for the turn of the century (Year Two Thousand) mania that swept much of North America a couple of years back.
domi
#43 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 2:45:27 AM

Tanks Garden Lad for the info,so LOL is something that is funny and Y2K is still on because of the war against terrorism,m''i whrigt?Even i did some preperation after the war began.It was very frightening.DOMI
bushwack
#44 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 5:45:55 AM

In Regards to Your Question about sweetfeed.. I speak No French, just recall a word or two from grand’mere or is it Memier?. Like I said No French Spoken here !!Even though my Great Grand parents came here to New Hampshire from Asbestos Mines Quebec.
Check with you local Feed store. I think my English to French is not quite right, but do the words doux nourrir help you out. The closest I have ever been to the town of Asbestos Mines is was a Fishing trip to Chibougamau Lake in 1977 with my father & his father. I Fished for one week and fell in love { I mean Lust} with the fish camp owners daughter the second week. She spoke a little English and that helped when we had to explain to her mother why even her older brothers could not find us for hours everyday. But there are some things like, Hormones & Teenage Lust that need no language. Boy it was hard enough for me as Senior in High School sharing the cabins double bed with my dad. But to have all those Thoughts/Dreams of her( Dyan)while I was sleeping........ The fishing trip was a Graduation present from my Dad, But I Still have not told him how really special that trip was. But I think he knows. Sorry to get off track . I hope my simple two word translation helps a bit
Garden Lad
#45 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 12:38:47 PM

Y2K type preparations continue by many people, Domi, because of the so-called terrorism plot. But mostly, I believe, Y2K was a wake up call for many people about the dangers of dependency.

It''s said, for instance, that major cities have only about 3-days self sufficiency. That is, if there was some kind of disaster that made it impossible for anything to move in or out of the city, it could only feed itself and supply essential services for three days before the infrastructure fell apart and chaos took over.

An overall dissatisfaction with government and all it does has also fueled much of this. Operating under various names---i.e., the Green Movement; Back To The Land; Homesteading; etc., thousands of people are structuring their lives to be as independent and self-sufficient as possible.

So, yes. The threat of terrorist activity has contributed. But there are other, long term, forces at work that are more fundemental than that.
domi
#46 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 10:05:02 PM

You know Garden Lad,i first started to be aware of our dependecy back in 98.It was the year of the ICE STORM OF THE CENTURIE.We lost power for over 30 days,that''s no water either because the pump don''t work whitout electrecity.IT was the worst nightmare you could imagine,we got stuck in the house for more then a week because all the roads were block whit fallen electric posts.Belive me after you have past through those times of pain and fear ,you start to think of what you can do to ease things the next time it happen even dow you don''t want to think about it.Ihave started to caned has much has i can,i keep plenty of water also.You don''t know what knot having water mean before there is no more.I went outside whit a hammer to break ice to melt for water,it was better then nothing.DOMI
welshie
#47 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 12:06:07 AM

Hello Domi, the following two sites have lots of information which may be of help to you. Check the Lifestyle Files of both sites.
Good luck with your new property.
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/
http://www.lifestylefarmer.com
LilBit
#48 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2003 7:08:34 PM

We raise hogs for ourselves and our customers. The one thing that is most important is extra strong pens! Hogs have serious strength behind them...if they cannot get over a fence, they will just take the fence down.

Rabbits are another good choice for meat.
Hope this helps.
domi
#49 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2003 7:08:34 PM

I live in quebec canada and it is deficult here to get acces to greener way of life.If someone could tell me where to look for knowlegd or people who are willing to teach i would be please.I all ready have two acres and some animals mostly birds (CHIKEN GUINEAS TURKEY)and rabbits.PLEASE forgive me for the writting and errors i could have made,i'm french and it's been a long time since i ade wrote in englis.tanks a lots in advance.DOMI