Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123>
in search of help Options
domi
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2003 1:17:17 AM

Tanks for your research dropkick.Can you tell me if you know what kind of cow gives the least amount of milk because i dont wont to loose any of it.and do you know if there is one who does better in my kind of region (winter can be cold but not that harsh)tanks.DOMI
dropkick
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2003 7:48:41 AM

As far as I could tell almost any type of cow can and does live in your area.

Jersey-- The smallest kind of dairy cattle, they are a shade of fawn, like a deer, sometimes with white markings and black noses. They give less milk than other breeds (4,569 litres/year/cow), but their milk has more butterfat.
You might also check on the Canadienne, also known as the Black Canadian, it is a small cow that was bred to live in the Quebec area, and while it is not a "dairy cow" it is said to be a good milk producer and to be very docile.

You could always feed the excess milk to your other animals, make cheese(fromage?)or yogurt with it, or even sell it.

A link with some info:
http://www.crazyforcows.com/fow/fows.shtml
skruzich
#23 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2003 3:20:39 PM

Jerseys will give about 5 gallons a day, (At least everyone we have ever had), and most of the excess milk we got we sold as fast as we got it. We also made buttermilk, and butter, and froze the butter. We also froze milk and buttermilk for use during the months we dried out our cows. Cheese is a good way of storing excess milk.
You can get away with selling the milk if you sell as a pet milk ;) thats how we do it down here, just make sure your cow isn''t sick.
The colostrum milk is used in Sweden to make cheese from. I have friends that are from there, and they cannot believe that we don''t use it in this country.
Of course there are some countrys that have maggot cheese, but i am not about to eat it.
domi
#24 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 12:59:53 AM

Tanks for your answers.Is the CANADIENNE a cow for meat.If so it could be a great possibilite.I had never herd of it before but i will be looking for it.I appreciate all of yours answers and the time you take to respond.DOMI
skruzich
#25 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 1:40:57 AM

Domi, if you are looking for meat, your best meat IMO is a hereford. I think my grandpa used to call them whitefaced cows, they are a reddish color with a white face.
I can say I like the taste better from a hereford. Black Angus comes a close second.
Remember if your going for good meat, taste, and tenderness, you will want to slaughter it before they are a year old. You should be able to fill a freezer or two with the meat.
Also if you have dogs, keep the bones from the meat and give that to them. You can''t buy bones anymore at least down here.
steve
domi
#26 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 11:26:32 PM

At one year of age is the meat still white like veal or allready beef red?HEREFORD is quite a big cow is''nt it?BLACK ANGUS i think is smaller?YES?And they do come in red?How do you feed a 3day old calf,do they drink by them selfsor need special care?If he is big enought can it stay outside for the winter?Tanks for your time STEVE. DOMI
skruzich
#27 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 11:38:00 PM

Hmmmm I seem to remember the meat is red. Its just past the veal stage. Might have slaughtered at the 1 year mark. I seem to remember that the steer would be around 800 pounds on the hoof. If you wait longer, like a year and a half or two, you get more weight, up around 1000 pounds on the hoof. I am not sure though I just don''t remember that well. I have always thought Black Angus looked to be about the same size. Both are a hearty breed and weather well in all climates.
A 3 day old calf will drink milk from a bottle. You get the powdered milk from the feedstore, and a big 1 quart bottle with a rubber nipple to feed it. You can rig a holder on the wall of his stall. If you feed just milk for 6 months, and milk with sweetfeed the next six months, you will end up with just the right amount of fat marbled in the beef. That is where your flavor is.
calves need shelter. They need shelter up until 8 months of age if the climate is harsh.
steve
srj
#28 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 11:49:32 PM

domi men did a artical on small dexter cattle
http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=189/189-030-1&ID=85&Num=38
good luck
tc ray
domi
#29 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 2:50:37 AM

Tanks Ray,i went to the see the article and was deligth whit what i saw.What a cutie.So small to and best of it there can be found not to far ,wellin Ontario,but still better then nothing.Tanks again to you Steve.Can you tell me what is sweetfeed.I have no idea of what it can be.Do you think you could find the word in french.DOMI
skruzich
#30 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 3:22:24 AM

I am sorry i have no idea how to translate it. Sweet feed is corn oats and barley, that is mixed with sorgham molasses. It should have no chemicals to it, or urea mixed into it. The feed stores do sell it with additives, but you can buy additive free feed.
domi
#31 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 3:38:49 AM

Tanks for the info Steve.Now i have an idea of what to look for when i need it.DOMI
domi
#32 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 11:45:09 PM

I still have some questions.Here it goes,i have a pond about 24ft(not perfecly round)I had it dougtfor my geese but they turn so mean that i had to enclose them.So i bougt 2 ducks,now i have 10 ducks!My pond is line whit an old pool liner,there is no fresh water or pump in it.you can imagine how dirty it became.I look for a wind mill to put in it but it was way to expensive,so my problem is still there,dirty pond.Does someone have an idea for me?I herd of a product that come from europe that you give direct to the animal in there food,they were talking about cow,pigs,even poultry.it''s like a kind of bacteria,it goes in the waste and stop the smell,help brake down faster the waste.I''m not sure that it is safe for my ducks,but i still want a cleaner pond.I want to have fishs and water plants when the pond is cleared.please help i''m desperate.DOMI
skruzich
#33 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:14:21 AM

You need a continuous water source to go into the pond and have a exit point for that water, orrrrr you need a pump and filter and make yourself a fountain out of that pond. You also might want to plant some water plants in there. At any rate, if you want fish in there, and to stop the smell you will need to oxygenate that water i would think and you can do that with a pump. It won''t take a whole lot, you can even build a trough to the center for the water to return to the lake, and use a pump to pull the water up into the trough.
steve
domi
#34 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:16:06 AM

Something else that i want to know,does any of you out there knows of peoples whit whom i could share my toughts like i ''m doing whit you right now,but i would like to see them.I mean that if the could live up here in Quebec,i would be so glad to find someone who as the same interestas me.But i still have a lot of pleasure reading all of you.tanks.DOMI
skruzich
#35 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:19:57 AM

Domi i don''t live up there in quebec, but you are the nicest person i have ever conversed with from quebec! The rest wouldn''t have even given me the time of day since i didn''t understand french.
steve
domi
#36 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 1:19:23 AM

TANKS STEVE,but there are nices peoples up here too.It seems you encounter all the wrongs ones.still i would be glad to meet you,by the way where do you live?DOMI
skruzich
#37 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 1:21:31 AM

Hehe, I live in the mountains in North Georgia. About 79 miles north of Atlanta.
steve
skruzich
#38 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 1:22:53 AM

BTW the few times i have been up there, I was around the border towns, and got a very icy reception. But I know there are alot of nice folks up there. I just never stayed long enough to meet some of them.
Glad your a part of this message board.
steve
domi
#39 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 2:30:23 AM

You live in what they use to call (the deep south).your lucky it''s allways warm,no cold winter.I just hope that the one coming will be less cold then last year.We hit several minus 35 whit wind factor that down to minus 45.It was awfull,belive me.Wish me luck.send some sun and warm weater whit your replies!!!BTW,i was having one hell of a time reading the reader to reader post by begimorst.ARIS is one special one.DOMI
skruzich
#40 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 3:29:56 AM

LOL
I hear ya domi. i don''t mind the cold. I used to live in montanna. It got down to 35 and 40 below, but i guess your talking in terms of celsius aren''t you. I am talking faherenheit