Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Help, incontenent dog Options
Sheila
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:48:48 PM

Lots of different things could cause incontinence, some of them fairly minor, some not so minor. If it''s in the budget, you might have the vet check her out. If that''s out of the question, you could try giving her some cranberry (either juice or the tablets) in case a UTI is contributing to the problem.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:55:15 PM

I would say a exam from a vet would give you more info. There are too many things that could cause that. weak muscles, nerve damage, man a whole lot of things could cause that.
steve
lytey
#3 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2003 1:40:03 PM

I tried the vet this past spring and she thought it was her weight but also gave her pills (Proin) but they did''nt seem to help. Just as she started to lose weight over summer it went away. I have tried to give her cranberry juice but she wont drink enough of it, I might see if the whole cranberry sause/ no sugar mixed in her food would help. I will be calling the vet soon though the bill just always ends up being 10 times more than what I anticipated. Thanks guys Lyte
Terri
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2003 4:41:36 PM

I have heard that many spayed bitches become incontinent when they are older due to low hormone levels, but your bitch sounds a little young for that.

If the problem IS her hormone levels, the solution used to be a pill a day.
lytey
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2003 6:38:40 PM

It is possible she is older just still has a lot of playfullnes. When she saw the vet and was given the proin it was supposed to be 1/2 pill twice a day and if it did''nt help enough, increase to a whole pill twice daily, she said it was for her muscles. So I may have to see if they can see her this week or renew per pills, she may need a stronger dose. Have to disscuss it with her to see and ask about the hormones. Thanks again Lyte
CntryLvnGrl
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:46:13 PM

I have a 6 yr. old coon hound/mix. The last yr. or so she has started having "leaking" problems when she is in the house. I find little spots on the floor or she is trying to clean herself up. She also started having some nasty gas... ohhhh myyyy.... I went on the internet and searched out what to do about the gas. I have started giving her one garlic tab each morning with her meal. In the evening I give her about two table spoons of yogurt with salt and probiotics in her water. I''m happy to report that the gas problem does not offend any longer and the leaking seems to have all but stopped.
Good luck with your furry family memeber.
lytey
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 5:18:54 PM

CntryLvnGrl, what are probiotics? Can you get them locally or on line? Glad she is doing well. Thanks Lyte
CntryLvnGrl
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2003 11:42:54 PM

I got it at the local farm store.
It''s basicaly Acidophilus. "Contains a source of live (viable) naturally occuring microoganisms" "enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus plantarum, colony forming units.
CHR Hanson BioSytems
9015 West Maple Street
Milwaukee, WI. 53214-4298
1-800-247-6782
www.chibosystems.com

I did not read anything about giving extra salt. I just desided on my own to do that. Thought that perhaps a little extra salt and water in her diet might be a good thing. You can also get cranberry caps. at the health food store. That might be an option also. Let me know how yours is doing.
Sheila
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 2:50:33 AM

Be very careful giving garlic to dogs. It can cause hemolytic anemia.
CntryLvnGrl
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 5:49:10 AM

I know I read about that. But what I seemed to come across is for every artical that said to be careful there was another that said it was not proven. There were many that said to use processed garlic as the cemical that caused the anemia was gone but the garlic still retained it''s helpful properties. So I use garlic tabs to give to the dog. She eats them like a snack in just a few days. Thanks for the heads up though.
skruzich
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 1:57:17 PM

My vet has been having a increase in problems with the garlic. Lots of folks here are trying to use processed garlic as flea control and it seems to be causing a problem. NOW i cook with garlic in everything and my guys get the garlic through the scraps they eat. But i think it has to do with the concentration of the garlic. Too much of anything isn''t good for anyone. Goes back to the common sense to treat all herbs (cooking and medicinal) as medicine.
steve
CntryLvnGrl
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:05:11 PM

Amen Steve!! Everything in moderation. If one is good two is not always better.
lytey
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:05:11 PM

Our beautiful Rosie has an incontenent problem. We thought it was her weight for awhile and that has gone way down. The wetting did too for a while but as the weather changed it has come back. It is particularly bad when she lays down or gets up, she does not seem to be in any pain and still follows the kids around everywhere and the neighbors kids dogs and she still play. She is around 6-7 yrs old not sure exactly she was at the spca for a long time before we got her 4 yrs ago. She is a mix of retriever, collie and irish setter. If anyone has any ideas as to what may be wrong and how to make her better it would be greatly apprieciated. Also I think she has had at least one set of pups just before we got her but she was spade soon after. Thanks Lyte