Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Window quilt how-to links? Options
DanR
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:02:06 PM

Melanie:

Welcome to the forums. Was the book "Movable Insulation", by William K. Langdon? Try using strip magnets. They can be attached to the top of the window moldings as well as the sides and are nearly impossible to see unless you are looking for them. Another type, which I consider as a second choice, is a bullet catch. To be honest, I have never seen any around here in any of the hardware stores.

The book has several "roll" type attachments that you need to see the diagram to build. However, you could "velcro" instead of a magnet. Go to an auto supply store and ask for "hook and loop tape". They have the wide tape that you can use. Just let your imagination run.
Sheila
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 3:51:28 PM

Upholstery supply shops are another good source of hook and loop tape.
Garden Lad
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 7:52:32 PM

I hate to sound dumb, but what is a window quilt?
loikaw
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 12:13:11 PM

I believe "window quilt" refers to a sort of insulated curtain placed over a window to reduce drafts and hold heat in. Kind of like the heavy drapes popular long ago but more efficient. Particularly useful if you have single pane glass windows. I once read in a 1960s handyman book about makeing "insulated interior shutters" by using sheets of foam insulation board with wooden frames, painted or wallpapered. Open them during the day for light, close at night for heat retention and privacy. Hard to work into your decorating scheme, but very clever.
Check out:
http://www.s-t.com/daily/03-96/03-03-96/2shuttr.htm

Good luck.
Melanie M
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 3:33:22 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. We designed these to be stapled to a board, and the board mounted at the top of the frame. We have the magnet strips too, but the quilt actually has a weight at the bottom, so using just the magnets is out of the question. I know we are suppose to staple them to the board, and I even know how to string the things like a ''roman blind''. My problem is how to mount the board so that it is not flush with the window so that the strings can run..but still have the whole thing air-tight!
I''m not sure what the book was called, or even if it was a book. It may have been an article from a magazine.

We have really old, single pane glass...these things are a necessity!
Melanie M
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2003 3:33:22 PM

My friend and I made beautiful window quilts for my home this summer. Unfortunately, she has now moved to sunny CA- along with the book we used to make them!
I have the main idea, but it is the little details that I'm missing. Like, how do I hang the darn things?

If you have any information, I'd appreciate it.
Links to visual instructions would be ideal.

Thank you!
Melanie