Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

5 Pages <12345>
Deer season coming-up...that reminds me Options
mikeg
#41 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2003 4:08:58 AM

As far as the hunter orange I ware it any time I''m out on the tractor, walking, or riding the 4-wheeler during hunting seasons on my own property.
lytey
#42 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2003 5:19:44 AM

Anouther story, when I was in school for forestry we had a few guys from out of state and a group of them became fairly intoxicated while having someone drive them around. They get to national forest and see a herd of deer out in a field and get really excited. For some reason they though they could catch the deer so they jump out of the truck, and begin running across the field...well turned out the deer were not living, they were mechanical!!!! The game wardens who were out vidio taping the whole event came running out of the bushes to chase the guys off...before the anyone else showed up. Anyway next time you see one of those showes with the guys that keep shooting at the deer and finally after a dozen shots realize the deer is not only not falling but is also not running away... they may show these guys trying to catch the deer! Lyte
DanR
#43 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2003 2:08:10 PM

Barbarake:

You live in South Carolina game area 2. There is no hunting on wildlife management land on Sundays. So let your sons go play on management land on Sundays and they should be safe. If they hear a gun shot, call the game wardens. However, there is hunting allowed on private lands. Just stay safe and in a couple of years the area around you should be all housing developments where your sons will not be able to have any paint ball wars anyway. Bummer!!
barbarake
#44 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2003 2:27:47 PM

DanR - Hmm, I just learned something new from you. I didn''t know there were different ''game areas''. Unfortunately, it doesn''t really apply because the guys are hunting on private property. (A man owns over 100 acres right next to me and that''s where they hunt. They do have permission.)

I did find out some great news!! As I said, one person owns a bunch of land in front (approx. 30 acres of flat pasture) and to one side (hilly woods) of me. He''s quite elderly and I''ve been concerned as to what will happen to the land when he passes away. I''ve had visions of a huge housing complex being built. (There''s a lot of (expensive) buildings going on in the area.)

But the area is having a problem with the water. All the houses are on big lots - 3-5 acres and they have always used wells (since there was not water available). Well, within the past few years, it''s been found that there''s a lot of radiation (natural) in the water. So public water (not sewer) was just brought into the area (last month).

But the water lines are relatively small (since it''s a rural area). For them to put in a subdivision and use the water, it would require them to tear up and install larger pipes for quite a distance. According to the guy from the water company, it ''would cost millions''. They can add only three more houses along that stretch (according to the same guy).

With all the paranoia (sp?) about the radiation, that means that no one is going to want to get their water from wells anymore. So - basically - the land is unbuildable. Hurrah!! Hopefully someday I can buy some more of the woods (cheap!!).
skruzich
#45 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 12:47:08 AM

Barbara,
heres a idea i suggest for EVERY parent whether or not their kid ever goes hunting. Its now mandetory for everyone to take a hunter saftey course in the united states. The course is designed to teach saftey and is pretty good. The ranger here told us that last year, there was only 2 hunting accidents in the entire state that involved death. BOTH were from the kid killing the father. Both kids were 10 years old and by themselves about 100 yards from their fathers. All were on private land, and all didn''t go through the hunters safty course.
What i am saying is that if they go through the 10 hour course, they will get excellent training on how to be safe, how not to get lost, how to survive until help arrives if they get injured or lost, how to handle firearms, and many other things. It would benefit them and i believe it would help keep them safe during the season.
Steve
DanR
#46 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 2:10:23 PM

Barbarake:

Go to :
http://water.dnr.sc.us

This is where you can find all the rules and regulations for hunting in South Carolina. Hope this helps. And I did read about the warer problems with radiation. But if someone wants to build a large enough Tax base operation then the county will put in the water. Just stay safe.
DanR
#47 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 2:14:48 PM

Barbarake:

If the link does not work, try typing it in. I tried it, it did not work, edited it, still did not work. Maybe it will work later.
mikeg
#48 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 3:51:16 PM

Deer season should be well under way every where by now any one have a freezer full yet?
DanR
#49 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2003 6:12:14 PM

All the ones I have seen have been out of bow range. Rifle season comes up soon, will do better. Have seen coons, foxes, even cayotoes. Lots of fun.
skruzich
#50 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2003 4:38:57 AM

Rifle season opens here in georgia tomorrow. I never hunt the first week of deer season. Its just not worth the trouble, run into all the yuppies with guns from atlanta thinking they have to get the big one. I will just bide my time and wait for all of them to get discouraged because the deer are smarter than they are and then go hunting. I have about 10 that bed down across the road from me, and I figure they are probably safe enough to stick around.

Steve
mikeg
#51 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2003 4:13:28 PM

Sounds like a good plan.
srj
#52 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 3:27:35 AM

one in the freezer already my 11 yr old son tapped a 8 pointer on the youth hunt & have the regular gun season comeing up,,,,have been planning on getting back to bow hunting but never seem to have enough time,, after the shot he was shaking like a leaf in a wind storm
tc ray
skruzich
#53 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 3:48:41 AM

Haven''t seen a single deer since season opened.
Need a couple to put in the freezer. Hmmmmmmm
steve
srj
#54 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 4:42:27 AM

steve wish ya the best of luck,,, here''s alil story i had my son read before going to camp,,,,http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/conmag/2003/10/20.htm
"whack em & stack em" ted nugent ,,anyhow the best
tc ray
skruzich
#55 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 5:18:33 AM

Nice article! :) I haven''t seen any deer since opening day, they are down in the WMA and i can''t hunt there until they open it for the hunting season. Special days on that area.
Well I guess i will ttyl
steve
VaughnHill
#56 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 6:31:33 AM

Well i might as well tell you one of my deer stories.

Its 1:00 on a warm afternoon i figured the deer would be bedded down for the day so i take my 12gauge loaded with bird shot and head off to harvest some squarials. Im walking around checking for deer signs shooting a squarial every now and then. I come across a old pile of crap where some farmers must have dump there garbage 50 or 100 years ago.So me being me just had to go though the dump to see if i could find a old bottle or maybee a unbroken crock or some other treasure. Im making all kinds of noise going though this dump. When out of the corner of my eye i see something. I look up and see the biggest ole doe, she couldnt have been 40/50 ft from me. the first thing that came to mind was why in the hell did someone have a deer decoy target out here in the middle of the woods? thinking this was public land and it would get stolen. I looked at that deer eye to eye,for at least a minute she was the prettiest ole gal ive ever seen.And with the blink of an eye she was off and running. As she took off, not more then 5 ft away from her was a smaller doe i didnt even notice, which followed after her.

If only i had a slug in my gun i thought afterwards. I now carry a 45cal sidearm for just such an occasion.

I still to this day can not beleave that deer was standing there. i was making so much noise going threw the dump, for at least 15 minutes before i seen her.

Oh well everyone needs a "the one that got away story"

dropkick
#57 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 10:35:03 AM

I was exploring on a 4 wheel atv, and was driving up an old grown-over logging road, when I decided I had gone far enough and was going to turn around.

I was on a steep slope so I found 4 trees that were growing in a vee shape and had an opening between them that was just large enough for the atv to go between frontwards but not sideways. My idea was that if the atv started to roll while turning the trees would catch it.
I started to turn, but started to feel a bit precarious, so I decided to get off and muscle it the rest of the way around.

When I turned off the machine I was startled by a movement, it was a 5 point* elk about 10 feet away. It ran in a small circle and coming back to its’ starting point stopped and stood looking at me. I looked back; this is the closest I have ever been to a wild live elk. We stared at each other for about 5 minutes, and then I decided “enough of this” and struggled off the uphill side of the atv.

I then heard a t-t-t-t-t-t-t sound, I was about 3 feet away from a coiled rattler!**

I was in a bad spot. I couldn’t climb over the atv because of the way I was backed against it and the incline, I also wasn’t able to slide to the right or left because of the trees.

My first thought was to stomp it, but I was wearing ratty sneakers. So I looked around and found a 3-foot stick on the ground. I picked it up and hit the snake upside the head, the stick was rotten and broke in half. I hit him again, it broke again. I threw my last 6 inches of wood at him. The snake had had enough of this and decided to leave. It uncoiled and tried to go but instead slid down the hill toward me.I quickly went over top of its’ rear end.

I looked around and found an old fence post (forest service?), pulled it out of the ground and crushed his head.

After the adrenalin wore off and I had stopped shaking I turned the atv and went down the mountain.

*a 5 point elk has 5 spikes on each antler, I won’t call them a 10 point as some people do, as I feel that counting the spikes on both antlers was something that was started to make trophy hunters bragging sound better.

**The rattler was about 5 foot (not the largest I’ve seen but close) and green. This is something I have never seen before ... a green rattler.

Garden Lad
#58 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:09:22 PM

*how antler points are counted is based on geography, not bragging rights.

In the east they count all points more than 1" long. In the west they only count one side, less the brow tines, unless the antlers are not symetrical.

Thus, a deer with a total of ten points would be a ten pointer in the east, but only a four pointer in the west.

However, an elk with 5 points on one side and 4 on the other would be referred to as a 5 x 4.

I have no idea when or why this practice started. But it''s the commonly accepted way of counting. And has led to some confusion, as when a westerner tells his eastern buddy about the nice 5 point mulie he took, and the buddy wonders what''s so great about a deer with a tiny rack like that---not realizing that by his standards it would be 12 points.
skruzich
#59 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:16:29 PM

The DNR in Georgia implemented one side of rack counting this year. You can''t take a buck unless it is a minimum of 4 points on one side. Seems that DNR is going to standardize this i guess. I never count both sides as most of my hunting has been done out west.
Garden Lad
#60 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2003 2:17:16 PM

Interesting that they''re doing that, Steve. Will they count the brow tines as points?

Georgia must really be different. In most of the south the deer herds are out of balance because there are too many does, and too many substandard bucks getting to breed them. So most fish and game departments are encouraging the harvest of does and small bucks.

Ironically, both Pope & Young and the Boone & Crockett Club use both sides as they amass points. Plus a few other measurements as well.