5 Pages 123>»
Deer season coming-up...that reminds me Options
Galeshka
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 5:14:03 AM

LOL!!!!!

Be well....
skruzich
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 5:31:13 AM

Hehe, ;) You could say the indian gal was having a cow!
But its all relative when the food is good and the beer is cold!
Hmmmm I need to get back to living that lifestyle. I used to live up in montanna idaho area. Loved it! Nothing like hunting deer and elk on horseback, wake up on a cold morning brewing up a pot of coffee, cooking bacon and eggs with the cold crisp air stinging your face, freezing your breath, sun coming up over the mountains, glaring off the new snow sitting by the campfire watching the wisps of smoke climb up through the branches of the trees. Then breaking camp and riding up into the treeline where the elk would be feeding, finding them in a herd and the toughest decision was which one did i want to put into the freezer for the year.
After selecting a 1 - 2yo bull, squeezing off the shot, and then waiting for the elk to fall. Sometimes it took a few minutes before that happened, while the rest of the herd moved around it, on to a safer area. I would then go down hook a rope around the head (once i made sure he was dead), drag him off away from the feeding area to dress him out. We would load the meat up on one of the pack horses, and make our way back down to the area we camped the night before, and setup camp again and hang the meat up in the trees about 10 feet to keep the animals off of it. We would roast up the ribs, and eat them for dinner. Next day we would load up again, this time the meat was pretty much frozen and head on back down to the house.

Can''t find any better living than that, other than fishing ;)
Steve
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 6:40:34 AM

For someone not very old you have been alot of places.What do you do for a living?And why move so much,I guess I get a plce I like and fix it up some then it is real hard to get me to pull up.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 5:26:50 PM

John,
I have been on my own since i was 16 years old, my choice. I left and travelled all over the US back then, didn''t start settling down til I was around 23 and i really didn''t settle down then. Got married had a kid out in the woods of Colorado, then eventually moved back to tenessee had another kid, then another kid, got divorced, took the kiddos an dtravelled for a while since they didn''t have to go to school and finally settled back here in the southeast. I have done what was necessary and what i enjoyed to live. I haven''t found much of anything that i can''t get out and do without a bit of reading up on. One thing i have always told and taught my kids was i Don''t want to hear the words I can''t. I don''t believe in them. There is always a way to do it.
stvee
johnhagen
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 7:07:23 AM

Very true Steve i think the same way came home from my little high school trip to south east asia and told my self i could do anything.check this out needed a job real bad back then and went and told a man i could run a bull dozer for him never been on one in my life.He said meet him at 6 the next day,i went looked at the dozer and when he left i wrote down were all the levers and pedels were and went to the local bar asked a few questions and got a name drove to his house told him i was broke hungery and a vet. and needed help.We went out there and he gave me my 1 hour class.I never looked back and kept that job for 4 years till i went to work for Caterpilar Tractor Co.
Galeshka
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 10:51:39 AM

Now see, THESE are the kinds of stories you should be sending to Hermit...so few live a ''real'' life these days that what seems run of the mill to us would be as strange as science fiction to most.

Be well........
skruzich
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:35:21 PM

I have to run right now, but i will be back later and probably tell you how i got my truck driving job hehe.
steve
StreetLegal
#8 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 3:50:24 AM

Galeshka...is it really that way out there in the "real" world?? I suppose it is...I know my sister and brother-in-law that live in Denver have kids that wouldn''t know one end of a cow from the other. They wouldn''t know the first thing about skinning a rabbit or starting a tractor. But in their defense, they do believe in the 2nd amendment and they like to shoot guns.

---

My wife taught kindergarten for a few years in a rural town near here...When school started, she asked her new class if anyone could name the four seasons of the year.

Many strained faces but no answers...`til finally one little boy raised his hand and said "Ummm...deer season....dove season....".

LOL...now there''s a kid with his head on straight!

skruzich
#9 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 4:25:01 AM

When i lived out in crawford Colorado, the one thing that used to get us all upset was when the texans came up there for hunting season. I remember one day, the wife was out in the outhouse, and a bunch of hunters from texas thought it was fun and funny to shoot up the outhouse. Wellll, she came out of that outhouse with her rifle, and started shooting back, and they took off down the road. She managed to shoot the spare on the back of the vehicle, which was hanging off the back door, and hit the right rear tire on the vehicle to boot. We got our kids loaded up in the car and headed to town to file a police report, and lo and behold who should we see pulling up to the only tire shop in town, was a group of hunters talking about some crazy woman shooting at them.
Hehe, lets put it this way, it took everything i had to corral the wife and keep her from putting a bullet in each one of them. She was rather hot!
Anyway, the police took them in front of the magistrate right then, and he fined all 5 of them 1000.00 each. We ended up with a pretty good christmas for the kids, along with a brand new outhouse, and we ended up with a couple new rifles to boot since they were siezed from them and I gave the sherriff a hundred bucks for each of them.

Then there was the time i was at the check in station for harvested game, and I was sitting there chatting with the ranger when a fella came up in a brand new jeep, with his kill strapped to the top of the roof. He got out of the vehicle grinning from ear to ear talking about how he got one fine deer. He said he shot at it, and missed, with hi 30-06, and chased it up a hill and down the next and finally got a shot off to kill it. Well, the ranger looked at him, and walked over to his vehicle, and looked at him again and asked him was he sure that he chased a deer up a hill and down the hill before he got it. The man said sure did your looking at it. Then the ranger pushed his hat back, removed his sun glasses and asked him then why did you leave the deer in the field up the road and bring the farmers sheep that you killed!
hehe, he got a 10,000 dollar fine, lost his jeep, guns, and spent a few nights in the local greybar hotel.

Later on that season, a couple ole boys came up and went elk hunting, and up there around that area, elk gather in herds just like cattle. They managed to find one of the herds, and used their high powered 30-06 rifles, with those super scopes, and they shot a elk. Well since the elk didn''t drop like a sack of potatos when shot, they proceeded to take aim and shoot another one since they thought that they missed. That one didn''t drop either. When the game officer arrived, he heard all of the gunfire, he stopped them checked their information and asked them what they were doing. They said they were elk hunting and guessed that they were too far off to hit the elk. That is when the game warden noticed that elk were falling down, and a few were staggering around.
In the end, those boys had shot 12 elk, fish and game had to put down 4 of the elk, as they were too injured to save, and they managed to save the other 8 elk that were shot. The two men managed to lose their vehicle, guns, camping gear, supplies, and were fined 10,000 per elk that they shot, plus they got 2 years in the slammer for their effort.

Anyways that brings to mind a saying that I heard years ago, Warning Stupid people are breeding!
steve
StreetLegal
#10 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 5:32:07 AM

What Texans don''t go to Colorado usually end-up in New Mexico. I''ve always tried to avoid them, but one time I did help a friend guide some Texas clients.

Most of the clients were farmers from West Texas...pretty good people all-in-all. But they weren''t horsemen and they weren''t necessarily outdoorsmen, and they expected to be waited-on hand and foot...the whole ordeal broke me of wanting to run a guide service.
skruzich
#11 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 3:23:49 PM

hehe i hear ya street. I think the problem ones we had were from dallas or some larger city.
steve
andydufresne
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 06, 2003 2:50:21 AM

My brother''s trumpet instructor from MCC in Waco lived in NY. Some friends of his bought books and guns and clothes and got licenses and went off in search of the great deer menace. They came back with their "deer" at the end of the weekend. They were describing it to him....the book shad not really described deer too well they said. In reality deer only had two curved horns and were a lot heavier than they were led to believe. He went out to look to find a full grown cow in the back of the pickup they had rented for the occaision.
skruzich
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 06, 2003 3:01:27 AM

ROTFLMAO Hehe
s
mikeg
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 06, 2003 3:33:16 AM

Had a man from Chicago tell the story about his first experiences with hunting. He went out and bought all the gear, clothes $800, gun $600, boots $200, Licenes $50, Misc items calls,lure...$100. After spending a week in the rain without even seeing a deer he started home. About a half hour in to the dive a deer ran in front of his new suv and did about $4000 in damage. The trooper asked him if he wanted the deer and he said sure do I need to use my tag and was told no that he had one to use for road kill deer. The hunter sold all of his hunting equipment and bought an old $400 pickup and drives back roads during deer season, says he gets 2 or 3 a year with the same truck.
skruzich
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 06, 2003 4:02:10 AM

LOL
The other day, my middle son Eli, (the one who recently moved out and started out on his own) said he heard a truck hit the brakes outside his apartment, and when he looked out, the truck had hit a deer and left it on the road. He got dressed, grabbed his knife, ran out drug the deer off the road and on the side of the road dressed the deer out, cut the tenerloins and roasts off of it and the ribs. He managed to pack all of that deer into the freezer portion of his refridgerator.
While he was dressing the deer out, his boss pulled up in his driveway, and asked him what the heck he was doing, Eli replied, just getting dinner for the next few weeks. He said I''m hungry, gotta do something to eat. :) hehe.

Guess i need to put together a care package to send over to him. Hmmmm maybe a 100 pound bag of pinto beans, and a 25lb bag of cornmeal.

steve
DanR
#16 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2003 6:37:24 PM

Just my two cents worth, had some friends in Arkansas, we were kids back then, who went squirrel hunting. They jumped a buck and shot him 17 times with their .22''s. They had to track him for two miles before he went down for the count. You would have thought these boys had killed the biggest buck in history. Of course, every time they tell that story the buck gets bigger;).
skruzich
#17 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2003 11:03:11 PM

LOL i hear that danr, weeellll I got this ##@% Hunters safty course on disk, (I can''t believe they are making me take it at 42 year old) and I am going to get the test on the 26th. I have ordered a case of 7.62x39mm ammo, and a half case of 30-30 and a halfcase of 30-06 ammo. Got the guns out and cleaned them and checked all the parts, and now I am dragging out the ole, gear to camp with. Gotta replace my blaze orange, and get myself a first aid kit and I am ready for hunting season.
Now all i need to find is 44 mag shells for my winchester.
I figure between me and my 3 sons, we can fill a few freezers around here. hehe.
We hunt the limit every year, and once my freezer and the kids freezer is full then we fill the one at the orphanage up town and then finish our limits up with whoever needs food around here. Lots of hunters around here do that every year. We have to harvest does this year, they will only let us have 10 antlerless deer (ie Doe) and 2 antlered deer with one having at least 4 points on one side of the rack. Then we can get 2 from the Wildlife management area, and there is a lottery this year for an additional buck.
Its amazing how many deer we have but it is all due to proper management of the wildlife. I was reading where at the turn of the century, 1900, there were only 400,000 white tailed deer in the country, and today there are over 14 million deer.
steve
andydufresne
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 09, 2003 1:18:55 AM

MY grandfather loved to tell about the game warden that walked up on a man who was hunting with a double barreled shotgun. HE asked if the hunter had a license and permit. The hunter patted one barrel and said, "here is my license," patted the other and said, "here''s the permit. Do I need to read them to you"?
StreetLegal
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 09, 2003 5:29:12 AM

14 million?? That''s an amazing number. Sounds as though there are too many deer in your area. Is there any concern over Chronic Wasting Disease?

It seems the mule deer numbers out west are still in decline. Ranchers around New Mexico want to blame predation by mountain lion and the overall drought conditions. They should know, they''re out there in it most every day.

Elk numbers are skyrocketing!
StreetLegal
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 09, 2003 6:01:56 AM

Steve,

We had a camp set up eight miles deep in a wilderness area one September. It was hot that day and we were sitting outside in our folding chairs drinking cold beer when two bow-hunters came trudging up the trail.

They were basically lost, obviously exhausted, had their jackets tied around their wastes. We invited them to sit down and drink a beer as we drew out a map of how to get back to their truck. They were dis-heartened to learn that they were a lonnnng ways from where they wanted to be!

They were sure impressed with the "horse thing" and allowed as how that was sure the way to hunt! And so they left.

24 hours later, we were back in camp sitting in our chairs inside the tent with a fire going in the wood-burning stove, drinking a hot-toddy. A storm had blown in early that morning, the temp had dropped about 50 degrees. We had rain, snow, sleet, thunder, lightening, wind, you name it...it was COLD! We heard some horses outside.

Low and behold, these same two guys had rented horses and here they were, back at our camp. They had no rain gear, were soaking wet, and just about to die. We invited them in, fixed `em a toddy, and stoked the fire so they could thaw out.

They were really nice guys. They told us that this would be their last trek into a wilderness area. They told us they were from Dallas, that they owned one of the finest restaurants in the city, and that if we were ever in town to stop by...dinner was on them!

We had an extra cheapo rain suit, so we gave that to one guy and gave the other guy a large plastic trash bag. He pulled it on like a vest. They thanked us profusely and headed off in the direction of their vehicle.

I just wish I could remember the name of that restaurant! [:D]