Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Minature Cattle Options
CntryLvnGrl
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:02:02 AM

I have milked, fed, cleaned up after many different types of cattle, but have never had much to do w/ the minatures. But I can''t wait untill you get some replys because I have seen photos and done some reserch and think the are just to cute!!
Galeshka
#2 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2003 8:10:30 PM

Same here, I have been doing research on miniature Jerseys and would like some info. from someone who has experience with them.
I would also be interested in speaking with someone who has experience with Icelandic sheep...from my research they seem to be an excellent, low-care, option.

Be well......
CntryLvnGrl
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:35:48 AM

Mini Jerseys? I''m cracking up. They look mini already. You put one of them in a barn next to a Swiss or a Holstien and they are small. They have to be tiny tiny if the mini them up..... lol
skruzich
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:58:04 AM

Wow a jersey is small to begin with. Don''t remember but i think they don''t get to be more than 600 pounds or so.
My sister and I had a jersey cow as a pet when we were kids. Called her Dahron.
She used to chase us around the pasture and we would ride her. hehe.
crwmdpmr
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2003 7:58:40 PM

Miniature cattle as supposed to be ideally
below 3 feet tall and weigh about 300#.
They are the most efficeint milk producers
around. India has a variety of minature
cow which they claim is the smallest and
which almost became extinct. Now the Indian
government is guarding the remaining stock
closely to keep the people in the west from
getting unauthorized access to the genes.
Galeshka
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:15:13 PM

Exactly, they are under 3 feet tall......they produce the same quality milk as a normal size Jersey but in smaller quantities. At least initially I don''t intend to attempt making cheese or yogurt so this seems the best option for me, I''ll have the milk and butter I need but without all the waste.

Be well......
skruzich
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:38:52 PM

Love the moo and butter ;) Better yet make it into buttermilk butter and buttermilk. Mmmmmmmm

There is a major difference in taste when you have milk from a jersey and milk from any other breed.
CntryLvnGrl
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2003 1:11:56 AM

Most of the taste difference comes from what you feed them. I personally think the age of a cow tends to change the taste also, could just be my taste buds. Jersey and Swiss are very high in protien and butter fat so that will change the flavor a smidge also. The Jersey and Gernsey are babies though. If they so much as get a "hang nail" so to speak they get the "I wanna lay right here and die" attitude. Now remember this behavior has been noted in large herds of cows, perhaps when they already are the "baby" of he barn it wouldn''t be so bad then. I''ve got to see a mini Jersey.
skruzich
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2003 1:33:10 AM

LOL Yeah i remember My cow as a kid, had to have her special treats. Also got extra sweetfeed when us kids were around. When we would go to grandpas house, she would see the car and run over to the gate and wait on us kids to go out there to her. My grandmother has some pictures of my sister who was about 7 or 8 years old with the cow laying on the ground on her side and my sister rubbing her belly.
hehe
steve
Sheila
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2003 6:09:07 AM

When our pig was a baby I had to "put him down" for naps. Every other baby creature I''ve ever shared my home with would wake, pee, eat, poop, play, pee again, then curl up and go to sleep. Opie would go through the first 6 steps, then stand in the middle of the room crying. I ignored him. He cried more. I left the house. He cried more. (I didn''t want him "playing" me---pigs are SMART!) I once left him for 2 hours when he was 3 months old. I came home, he was standing right where he was when I left, weaving with fatigue--crying. I''d have to pick him up, wrap him in his blankie, and sit and hold him until he went to sleep. He just didn''t know how!! To this day--and he''s 3 years old--he''s very sensitive to noise and light when he''s sleeping. Our first pig was never like that. Fortunately he figured out how to sleep before he got too big for me to lift.

It''d be pretty funny, though. The phone would ring: "Mom, can I call you back? I''m putting the pig down for a nap."
skruzich
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2003 1:47:07 PM

ROTFL
CntryLvnGrl
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 4:12:13 AM

I''m with Steve.... Laugh''n my hinder off!!!! Thanks for the funny.
Sheila
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 6:52:25 AM

The real funny part, to me, is that my mom will proudly tell folks about her "grandpig." And yes, I have presented her and dad with a human grandchild (now 21 years old).
skruzich
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 1:10:48 PM

sounds like he doesn''t have a oinkling that he is a pig huh :0
skruzich
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 1:16:33 PM

Oh ok you knew it had to come ;)
Heres some pig jokes ;)

Q. What happened when the man stole a pig?
A. The pig squealed to the police.

Q. What does the little pig get every morning from his parents?
A. Hogs and kisses!

Q. What do you call a crafty pig?
A. CunningHam

Q. Why did the pig run away from the pig sty?
A. He felt that the other pigs were taking him for grunted.

Q. What does a pig use to write his term papers with?
A. Pen and Oink!

Q. What do you call a pig with no legs?
A. A groundhog!

Q. Why didn''t the piglets listen to the teacher pig?
A. Because he was an old boar.

Doctor, doctor, I''ve got a little sty.
Then you''d better buy a little pig.

Galeshka
#16 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:25:50 PM

and there is the OLD one.......almost as old as yours Steve ;-)....what do you get when you cross a pig with a fowl?
A guinea pig of course!

Be well....
skruzich
#17 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:53:07 PM

LOL, well the old ones are still pretty good now aren''t they ;) bet ya they brought a smile to your face ;)
steve
EliezerSilver
#18 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2003 8:31:00 PM

We are also interested in getting a mini-Jersey or any miniature dairy breed if it proves easier -again, for the high butterfat content milk in smaller quantities so I cna make a wider variety of fairy products then if we just had goat milk- and with a smaller animal then even a Jersey! - for our mini-farm. I would be very interested in what breeders you are looking at, locations, and prices you have seen. My major concern is breeding - is sperm for AI available and a viable option? how do you keep them in calf without having a bull as well??? Thanks!
skruzich
#19 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2003 1:06:51 AM

Hmmmm take them over to someone who has a bull ;)
CntryLvnGrl
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2003 2:04:03 AM

I would have to imagine that they have seamen available for all breeds. You might even want to start there and work your way back. What I mean is contact the A.I. breeders in your area and talk to them about the breeds that you are interested in and if they know any one in the area that they sell seamen to. Then you can contact the individuals and inquire about getting a calf or springing heifer.