Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

squirrels Options
Lowell Bernhardt
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2003 9:14:59 PM

Nlyman,

I would first find out how they got into your attic. As for getting them out that I''m not too sure about since you don''t have access to your attic. You don''t have ANY access to your attic? I can''t think of how you would get them out without be able to get into the attic.

Best of luck,
LOST
lytey
#2 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2003 3:27:19 AM

We tried to get flying squirrles out of my Grandma''s attic once with a cat, unfortunatly she ( the cat) was''nt interested. Wait to see where they come out and when you think you know how many are in there then when they leave again you can close up the hole, flying squirrels don''t need much room to get into, they also liked Grandma''s chimmney to her fireplace.Are you sure it isnt mice? they can be rather loud too. Good luck LYTE
dropkick
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2003 4:02:10 AM

Bright lights and playing a radio loudly might get the squirrels to leave.
A mix of naphthalene flakes, gypsum, and chile pepper, or just plain napthalene (moth balls). Though a lot of people can''t stand the smell either.

Squirrels are daytime animals and will go out during the day.
Inspect the roof for entrance holes. Check the eaves, the fascia board, and any vents as these are the most common entry areas. Wait until you are sure all the squirrels are gone and seal up all potential entrance holes with temporary patches, extending well beyond the hole to prevent squirrels gnawing around the patch. Place a bit of peanut butter just inside each hole before sealing it up. For the next few days listen for noises of an animal locked in and to check the food tests. If you hear an animal inside, open an entrance hole and wait for the animal to run out. Then seal it up again temporarily, replace the food test and listen and check for a few more days. If you don''t hear any noises and the food test is untouched for 3 days seal the holes.

This site might give you an idea too.
http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook.shtml?category=Rodents
mikeg
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 6:35:32 PM

Dropkick that is as good a plan as any I have seen especially with no attic access.

mikeg
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 6:40:15 PM

Nlyman you should really investigate into providing access to your attic. If you have a closit in the interior of the house you can cut an access panel into the attic in there. Just for inspection purposes there may be things going on up there other than any squirrel damage that may have happened.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 9:18:05 PM

mikeg, his ceiling might be like mine, i don''t have any room for access in mine. They just put the sheetrock up on the roof trusses, and pitched my ceiling.

steve
DanR
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 2:18:04 PM

Rats and squirrels are close kin. Both must be removed very quickly or they will cause major problems. Go with a good exterminator who will leave no poisen(sic) around after he is finished. Then seal every hole and crack you can find. But remember, once they have gotten in, they will attempt to come back, they like the smell of each other. Both have been known to eat through several inches of wood to get to food. Let us know of your results.
weeknee
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 10:52:15 PM

If its squirrls then ,in my opinion, ya gotta get access to the attic some how.Live traps have worked very well for me.The others are right about finding the entrance.Course,if its squirrels, you could always catch em and eat em[:p]....thats what id do.At least they wouldnt come back.
nlyman
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 10:52:15 PM

Anyone have some experience in ridding house of squirrels? We have what sounds like a whole tribe living in our attic space (not the kind of attic you can get into, just a small space between ceiling and roof). Afraid they'll gnaw our wiring if we don't get them out