Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Oak whiskey barrels as fire wood? Options
macloudd
#1 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 1:45:20 AM

Build a bonfire out of the wood and see if it burns differently from other wood.
Tenngarden
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 8:39:59 PM

It should burn just like any oak. Since you only add wood to a fire as you need it, start small, shouldn''t be any problem. Burning ethyl alc. only produces water vapor and co2, so in total, it should be better than plain wood. Stay warm. :)
skruzich
#3 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 9:11:13 PM

Might want to cut it into small squares and use it for charcole ;)
srj
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2003 2:22:20 AM

might make a unique smoking wood just a thought
tc ray
skruzich
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2003 2:30:24 AM

It would probably be a good wood for smoking your meats with.
dmoffett
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2003 5:41:52 AM

Thanks for all the help and info.
Let''s hope for a mild winter.

Dan
cuttyhunkepo
#7 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 6:19:25 PM

You may have a better thing going than you though $$$$$$. I bought a 2 lb bag of Jack Daniels barrle chips for my grill and for what I payed for them you could happly pay your gas bill. I would think a good chipper would make the chips. Most back yard cooks are always looking for something new. If you have never had a good steak over whiskey chipps you should try it.
Brad
Garden Lad
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 3:59:57 PM

By the time you go to burn it the alcohol will have evaporated anyway. Even in the sealed barrels some evaporates. That''s what causes the "angel''s share" around distilleries. So there should be no problems burning it.
mikeg
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 5:56:36 PM

That whiskey chip thing sounds like a good money maker if you have enough of a source.
Garden Lad
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2003 11:43:02 AM

Plenty of those barrels around, Mike. Here in Kentucky there are 7 bourbon distilleries in a relatively tight area, and they cannot reuse the barrels. Most of them are sold to other distilleries producing other types of spirits. But they''ll sell to anybody who''s willing to haul them away.

Lot''s of half-barrel planters are home-made for that reason. You pick up a used barrel at the distillery, cut it in half, and you''re done.

So source is not an issue. The cost factors may be prohibative, though. For Jack Daniels to do it means recycling a waste product. For somebody else it means paying for the barrels, plus investing in an industrial grade chipper, plus establishing marketing channels.

I haven''t discussed this with Dan, but I would imagine that furniture has enough value added to justify the cost of the barrels. But making them into chips probably doesn''t.

BTW, here''s an interesting piece of trivia for you. Most bourbon distilleries (including Jack Daniels) are in dry counties.
crwmdpmr
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:27:16 PM

-
dmoffett
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:27:16 PM

We make furniture from solid oak Kentucky Bourbon whiskey barrels. We have a lot of barrel tops and staves left over. Because our gas will be 75% higher this winter than it was last year I want to use this scrap for fire wood. The oak barrels have had whiskey in them for the past 6 years or more. Will this be safe to use as fire wood, will it burn too fast or too hot. I have a fire place with an insert, this will be the first winter we will attempt to heat the house with wood.