Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

woven wire fencing install Options
johnhagen
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2003 10:02:17 AM

Do you plan on running livestock? If not why fence just put a pst every 25 ft and put up your no trespassing sign like every other city person who moves out to the country for the weekend.
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2003 4:50:35 PM

The wire reels I''ve seen use an old disc blade welded on one end of a piece of 2" or so pipe. Then you can use a smaller pipe inside for an axle.

Never seen one rigged to a three-point, but that wouldn''t be hard. Heck, you might be able to clamp the smaller pipe to one of your three-point implements, such as a box scraper. Since you don''t have a lot of fencing to do, keep it simple and cheap.

A word of caution...sometimes dragging that wire by hand can be a real bi**h!

---

If you plan to staple the wire to your trees, I''d suggest you not. The bark will grow around the wire, messing up the trees and making future fence repairs difficult. Use steel t-bar posts and drive them in. This will also give you a chance to work on your upper-body strength. :)
patrick46135
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2003 9:26:23 PM

Keep in mind if you stretch the fence in cold weather it will sag some in warmer weather so be sure to stretch it as tight as you can.
mikeg
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2003 3:55:51 PM

Thanks for the help Johnhagen, over half of the property is fenced and some needs repair. I curently work there most weekends now prepairing the place to live full time and will not run any stock till I do live there. I curently have only one sign and it is at the gate. Fences and signs don''t keep people out. Good fences keep animals in and out why else would a pratical person spend the time and money to put up a fence if it wasn''t to have some kind of stock.
mikeg
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2003 4:00:56 PM

Good idea Street, I could bolt on to one end of the box grader a pipe that I could tip up and pin in place at two other locations and roll it off the pipe.
mikeg
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2003 4:00:56 PM

Any one have any tips or tricks for installing woven wire fence. I have to install some fence this winter and I plan to use woven wire on my perimeter with one stran of barb wire on top. Most if not all of what I have remaining is wooded property lines and it is difficult to handle those big rolls in the woods. I was thinking of putting some sort of roll despenser on the three point hitch of the tractor and back it into place and just start pulling it off till I get to a corner or in-line pull posts. It would be easy if it were wide enough to drive the tractor or a four wheeler down the fence line and just roll it out, but without removing a lot of trees that is not the case.