Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Lookin for more info on Ark. Options
andydufresne
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 3:56:51 PM

Karen...come on down.

I found this link. It seems to be a lot of what you would need to know.

http://www.arkansas.com/relocation_retirement/resourceguide.asp

IF you go to areas "outside of town" you can find some nice land. Thing is there''s just not that many people here. Nice land is available. I bought mine about 12 years ago. Now 3 other folks live nearby. (all of us have 5 acres)

If credit is an issue you can find land contracts all over the place. I picked mine strictly on looks but ended up getting a place that is ideal for building an underground house.

Wooded land is usually cheaper than cleared land. A phone call to an area and a nice sweet voice on the phone to the tax assessors office will tell you things you would like to know about the area.

NE part if the state is part of the Grand Prarie. Lots of rice farms. As you go north into MO you hit Crowley''s Ridge. SE is generally flat and wooded, lots of bottom land, NW is where the mountanins are. SW is rolling hills and central reall his kinda the focal point for all the geographic areas.

From where I live it''s about 3 hours to Fayettevill for Razorback games, 15 mintues to Wal Mart in 2 different towns, and 30 minutes to Little Rock.
LOTS of history here. Plenty of natural sites to see trails to hike and rivers to float. Temp is moderate and we usually get one good snow a year. NW has more of it South has some.

If you go into a rural area be prepared for emergency heat and power. If an ice storm comes it can knock out power for a week or more. I seems that it happens most often in the southern part of the state.

IF it snows big (big here being 6 inches or more) we usually just take off a couple of days and it melts on it''s own.

Good luck. If you have any more questions ask. LOTS of people here will help.
mikeg
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 8:02:52 PM

Best to go take a look, take some vacation time and look around there are lots of places for sale there. I was there less than a month ago.
Last Wolf Standing
#3 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 12:15:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KarenK

Hi all,
Seems like alot of intrest in Ar. lately.We too are taking a hard look at that area. I have done alot of research on the internet and by phone. I also have seen great land deals in ozarkland.com. I think some of these are out like ,waaaaay out but that can be a good thing. I think for us we will just go see. Yesterday, I phoned a woman in the Berryville,Green Forest area. She told me something to be aware of. Tyson,the big chicken people,have plants in that and other areas of Ark. This can mean a TERRIBLE smell,and pollution from pen-cleaning water runnoff. Also some local farmers us chicken manure to fertilize thier crops causing stream and lake contamination. If anyone has anymore info on this,or a place I could research it more,I''d love to hear about it. The main reason we are so interested in Ar. is for clean air and water and fewer people.Any info on the Bull Shoals,Mountian View,Herber Springs or little areas inbetweeen would be so apprieciated. thanks in advance karen and Bob karenk@usa.com

I''ve been up to Mountain Home three times in the past month.
I wrote a contract on a piece the last time I was there.
e-mail johnh@gilbertrealty.com
They will send you a CD of their listings as well as as a
real nice tour of the area around M.H. I have viewed the cd and
recommend it highly.
You gotta see the area will be your response~~I guarentee it!!!
Last Wolf [8D]
ps: John Harris drove my wife and I around for three days looking for what I wanted. Al Brown is my name and I don''t lie.
Look into it! This man is a retired PostMan and honest beyond
any real estate salesman I''ve ever known.
AB
Countrygal
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2003 3:07:36 PM

We moved to NW Ark. 15 years ago after spending years near Spfd. Mo. When we first got there I always smelled the chicken and turkey houses ! whew! But then I noticed when I went to Springfield to visit I could smell the pollution from the city.
The chicken and turkey houses smell better haha. The run off from using litter as a fertilizer is a problem in some areas and some of the "houses" have incinerators to dispose of dead birds . Like all places to live there are problems but all in all it''s a great place to live simply. Wages are low , education sometimes questionable , definitely below the Mason/Dixon line and proud of it even after 135 + years. We would still live there if not for my invalid mother who can''t live alone . Back in Mo but not in town! Countrygal
muzzelloader45
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 9:24:34 AM

the answer to your question is a bit complex.I lived in the south west border area for a number of years.in reference to the chicken litter it is like any other farming practice commen sence should prevailin the application of chicken litter. it is an excelent fertilizer especialey in the Ark. area the hills do not have the best of soil in a lot of areas and can be of greatvalue in any farming.proper application in the right area and in the right manner can be of great use but over application and sloppey use can cause problems.The land is usually loveley and is treat to the eyes.Prices of propertie is usually reasnablewatter is usually in good supply.However there are a fue problems if you have not been born to the area there a number of mannerisims and and ideas that the locals have that could put you off. However generally speaking it is a good are for homesteader folks.
India Moon
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 07, 2003 7:57:00 PM

HI there,
I guess I can speak from a bit of experience on the NW area of AR. I just moved AWAY! I have lived there for 20 some odd years. It is growing way out of control in that area. The builders are moving into the "country" and subdivisions are going up where peolpe used to move to get out of the city. I wouldn''t move back to the area if you paid me.
cherterr
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 09, 2003 10:08:28 PM

Almost AK...... NE Texas (see my first post above "EARN YOUR ACRE").. anyway.. I''ve been in the area HERE (about 90 west and south of Texarkana) for 4 years. It is beautiful, not so many rocks as ARK (where I lived 30 yrs ago for a couple of years) AND the CHICKEN industry is now (in my county) stopped. No More new ones can be brought in. It is Bo Pilgrim (Pilgrim''s Pride #2 producer) country. Ha Ha.. ANYWAY.. I live about 1/2 mile up the road (North) from a chicken facility... she has three enourmous barns.... it only smells quarterly for a day or so. When they pick up the chickens and she starts ''cleaning'' for the next batch of broilers. Hope that helps. IT''s gross.. but certainly tolerable compared to everything else!!
Minne_John
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2003 3:49:25 AM

My family and I lived three years in Ashley County (in the southernmost tier of counties, just north of Monroe LA) and enjoyed it very much. The cost of living was quite reasonable, the people -- of all colors, for you nervous-nelly Northerners -- were friendly, and the hunting and fishing just don''t stop! We did find an unexpected problem: rural property is VERY hard to come by, since timber/paper companies earn nearly all of the land or have it under lease from the state. However, we hung in there and found a place that turned out to be one of the loveliest homes we ever cleaned up, refit and rebuilt.[:)] On any given morning, there would be as many as a dozen big (by Southern standards, anyway) deer in our front yard, and wild turkeys, raccoons, squirrels and other critters (well, yeah, there were plenty of crawly critters like rattlesnakes and cottonmouts) to make life fun and interesting. My wife did get to be very good at shooting snakes with a .22, but after we cleaned up the yard and burned back the underbrush, the snakes beat feet for better land down the road.

Would I go back to Arkansas? You bet - in a heartbeat. It''s a beautiful state that has gotten a bad rap from the putrid politicians it sent to DC a few years ago, but Slick Willy was an abberation.

Go Hogs!
KarenK
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2003 3:49:25 AM

Hi all,
Seems like alot of intrest in Ar. lately.We too are taking a hard look at that area. I have done alot of research on the internet and by phone. I also have seen great land deals in ozarkland.com. I think some of these are out like ,waaaaay out but that can be a good thing. I think for us we will just go see. Yesterday, I phoned a woman in the Berryville,Green Forest area. She told me something to be aware of. Tyson,the big chicken people,have plants in that and other areas of Ark. This can mean a TERRIBLE smell,and pollution from pen-cleaning water runnoff. Also some local farmers us chicken manure to fertilize thier crops causing stream and lake contamination. If anyone has anymore info on this,or a place I could research it more,I'd love to hear about it. The main reason we are so interested in Ar. is for clean air and water and fewer people.Any info on the Bull Shoals,Mountian View,Herber Springs or little areas inbetweeen would be so apprieciated. thanks in advance karen and Bob karenk@usa.com