Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

4 Pages <1234>
Stone Splitting Options
coastal hermit
#41 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 6:18:24 PM

And the ''regent grade'' ammonia?
skruzich
#42 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2003 3:28:34 AM

Pate, I do not know the types of ammonia. I am thinking i heard just plain ole ammonia which is in strengths higher than ole store brands. But if you distill the water off the store brands, you get a stronger ammonia anyway so how is that going to stop drug production??
Oh well.
What about extracting ammonia from NaCL or NaOH? Heck you can extract it from chicken manure if you want it that bad.
pate20135
#43 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:32:50 PM

Steve,

Yes, but most ''store brands'' have soaps, etc, that bolluxs up the distillation. But thee is right, nothing will not stop a determined drugger. The whole ''precurser ban'' thing is just politics. Anyone who knows any chemistry, and looks at a ''list'' will see that.

But most folks, like Hermit here, would not have distillation or other chemical equipment. KIS.

Hermit, find a butterfly collector group, and find out where they get their supply. It is used as a humane ''kill'', the stronger the better. That is how my father gets/got his.

Take care,

Pate
coastal hermit
#44 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 11:52:35 PM

Well, this forum is nothing if not interesting......I am now about to go looking for a group whose pursuit of happiness is catching butterflys?! What WILL you think up next? Mind you, if the local chapter of Butterflys-R-Us are all young, male, Islamic fundementalists, I may search elsewhere.
coastal hermit
#45 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:56:42 AM

There is no local chapter of butterfly collectors! In fact, the closest we have is a butterfly garden somewhere. Maybe the fundamentalists will have some?
skruzich
#46 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 1:58:33 PM

ROTLMBO Local chapter of islamic butterfly hunters. Hehe.
I guess we have to watch out for those suicide monarchs now ;)
StreetLegal
#47 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 4:27:20 PM

Bomb-making materials linked to young male Islamic fundementalists...sounds politically incorrect to me.

Correct, but politically incorrect. In other words "it ain''t right but it''s so".
coastal hermit
#48 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 10:23:29 PM

I was recently conducting a talk show for Christians at a restaurant. The audience was all ''puffed up'' with holier-than-thous'' and all the right words were being spoken so I asked simply: "If you were getting on an airplane heading for Washington DC and twenty dark-skinned young men with bad expressions got on, all wearing Arrafat-type headgear, would you be worried? They have gone through security and all......? Worried or not?"
Despite all the ''political correctness'' that we had waded through that evening, every single person (even those who would still stay ON the pane) said that they would be worried). Point? Politically correct or not, the truth will out. Such appearances would make people nervous. It is a basic ''first response'' to survival to check things out for threat or possible threat and, while occasionally over-the-top, survival reactions are just that - reactions. Proves nothing but a will to survive. It is what we DO after that that should be judged - not the first ''take''.
Also, I have a variety of friends from every race, culture, gender preference, age, religion and what-have-you. I even have a few friends that are (gasp) politicians (but I am not proud of them). One thing that is a commmon bond (for me, anyway) is that they can all laugh at themselves and I can, too. Mind you, I am their target for jokes, too. My middle eastern friends are all too quick to shout "Allah Ahkbar!" and swish knives around trying to freak me out. And then they sit down laughing and have a Scotch. The individual people are rarely the problem. It is almost always the ''institution'' that is ''nuts'' - either religion or government or whatever. I''ll bet that there is a nice young fellow who collects butterflys and is also a fervent Muslim. I''m sure of it. But I would probably check his ammonia-type.
skruzich
#49 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 12:33:18 AM

LOL JDC, Yeah, I would be one of the first ones to admit i would be worried, i would probably get off the plane. I am totally for "profiling" in these days. It is obvious that most of the terrorism is performed by Islamic, middleastern looking, young men between 16-35. I get upset when i go through the security at the airport, and they stop me to strip search me, ( OH YEAh they do that because of my last name) I am a white american. But with the last name of Kruzich which is croatian, they search me. YET if a middle eastern decent person goes in, they are not allowed to search them as it might be "racial profiling". What a crock! Heck, personally search everyone. Anyone can be a terrorist.
But just deal with it and go on. Its another right we have virtually signed off on again, and given up. Right to unreasonable search and siezure, right to privacy, right to unrestricted locomotion---oooh i forgot we gave that up when we allowed them to issue us drivers licenses.
ttyl
steve
Sheila
#50 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 7:41:12 PM

If we all flew naked, they wouldn''t need to search anyone.
skruzich
#51 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 9:24:58 PM

Heh I vote for the all naked flights ;)
Hehe, Hey they already have a naked airlines ;)
andydufresne
#52 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 10:07:34 PM

Given the number of "ample" folk who complained when Southwest announced that if you backside requred two seats you would be requied to buy 2 tickets, I''m not sure I''d vote for that. Nekkid flight attendents, now that''s another story.
skruzich
#53 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:44:23 AM

LOL yeah i see your point andy. Speaking of the two seater backside, I remember when i was in LA back a few years ago, coming back home for a few days, I boarded my plane and went to my seat that was assigned and the fellow sitting in the window seat next to mine, and my seat was a middle seat, he took up 1/2 of my seat. I am no small fellow myself weighing in at 250 pounds and i asked the stewardess to seat me somewhere else. She said that there wasn''t any other seat. I had her call her supervisor and the captain came back also. They said that i would have to wait for another flight. This did not set well with me as they had two first class seats available and they didn''t want to seat me in there. So i started complaining. They informed me that they couldn''t ask that person to get off the plane because he would probably sue them for discrimination. I quickly informed them that i had paid FULL fare for my ticket, and I would bet that ticket that that person had only paid a fraction thereof, and that I would be filing not only a lawsuit against them but i would be filing many complaints with the FAA and the FTC. THe captain and the supervisor did some consultation and informed me that they had already sold out the first class seats, and that i would have to take another flight but that they would assign me a first class seat on that flight. I would have to wait for 4 hours for a flight. I saw a opportunity to negotiate, and come out smelling like roses, so i told them i would do so only if they gave me the 1st class seat, plus issue me a ticket to anywhere in the US including Alaska or Hawaii first class. They agreed after a few minutes and i got it in writing and exited the plane. I kinda held up the process for about 20 min ;)Hehe, well i was waiting for my next flight and when it started boarding, they announced they had overbooked and wanted volenteers to give up their seats. I walked over and asked them what they were offering and they said that they would give me the value of my ticket in flight dollars plus 2000 skymiles. Since my ticket was 1st class from LA to Atlanta, it was around 2800.00. I gladly accepted the offer. The next flight was going to be in 2 hours. That time rolled around and they overbooked again, and I offered to give up my seat and this time they only offered me 1200 flight dollars and I said what about a hotel room since i was stuck there the rest of the night plus dinner. They accomodated me. So for 1 fat guy sitting in my seat, they paid me 4 thousand dollars plus 200.00 for a motel room and 50 dollars for a outstanding dinner.

Hehe, I miss travelling :) Used to get all kinds of free trips from airline mistakes
steve
ajortolani
#54 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 6:34:59 PM

Good for you, Steve!! I travel all the time and NEVER get bumped!!

I have been reading through the recent posts & although it is true that we''ll all jump off the plane if "suspicious looking arabs" got on, I must add that it amazes me that no-one would have disembarked 20 years ago if a bunch of Irish lads got on board! They led the world in terrorism - practically invented it! I still don''t trust ''em! And let''s not forget that cute white boy, Timothy McVeigh, I had a huge argument with a girlfriend of mine that he shouldn''t be put to death! I don''t care what one believes as far as the death penalty goes, but if you murder 300 innocent people & this is your sentence then so be it. Nobody (including my friend) was insulted if a black/spanish axe-murderer is put to death but he was white & "cute" so it''s wrong!!
People''s ignorance just amazes me constantly.

Pate: Sorry about all the political talk! This has dramatically gotten away from the subject of Stone work.
I wanted to let you know that we painted my moist living room with "super paint" & while sitting and enjoying the newly painted - all one color - room, I noticed water in the little gutter at the bottom of the wall that runs the water outside! So, you''re right, of course, the paint does not stop the moisture, I''m sure it has helped somewhat but we are in for a lot more work, though I am extremely happy just to have ONE color on the walls!!!
We have been contemplating what to do in regards to our painted fireplace & have decided to paint it again for now. At least it won''t be silver/grey (actually Westinghouse grey used for the nose cones of missiles about 25-30 years ago)! I would love to hear your ideas about wall coverings like stucco''s &/or ecologically sound materials to use if you have the time of course, as I have noticed that you seem to be the resident expert here on these subjects. As for our chimney upstairs: my husband will be knocking it out & will be installing 3/4 chimney pipes so that everything will have it''s own pipe, then doing all the fire brick himself before bringing in a mason (if we can find one who''s sober in this area!)to do all the stone work. We''re going to install an airconditioner to combat the moisture and installing heat and replace the stove in the living room with a glass fronted fire place and when (or if) that all gets done we''re thinking of building a cherry fire place/mantle and placing it over the stone. A logger just came through and took all the good wood from all this land before we could close on it but he left all the tops dumped all through our woods which we''re going to mill and use to make a gorgeous dining table & perhaps a wall with bookcase & mantle etc over the current fireplace since we really don''t want to knock it down as it''s so well built & very efficient. I''ll keep you updated as to our progress, though this is not going to happen over night!!
Hope you and everyone else here had a great 4th of July, Bye for now, Cathy Ortolani
pate20135
#55 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 11:05:16 PM

Cathy,

Thee has caught me at a bad time. I am somewhat upset at/over another thread, and having to do some hard thinking over the future of our little enclave. And my future is involved. I got ''woke up''.

I did find a reference to removing paint from fieldstone in the Dicks. But with that index still under construction, I am unable to again lay my hands on that reference. I will have to wait until that index gets more manageable to find it again. Sorry!

http://www.thelitterbox.org/pates/i-dicks/ is where that work is, should be quite a few things thee can use there. (smile)

''3/4'' pipes? What does thee mean by that?

No, not an AC! Too much power. A dehumidifier. Much cheaper to run, and much more effecient in removing that moisture. Thee is going to also be replacing a lot of AC filters, which is more $$$.

Keep the stove. No matter how effecient thee makes the fireplace, it cannot come close to a stove. Unless thee is willing to give up that effeciency for the ''looks''.

I am so very sorry about the logger ''attack''. I would be talking to an attorney NOW. Even if he had permission or rights, the realtor was required to advise thee. Here, if a property is up for sale, any such exploit is illegal.

Take care

Pate
pate20135
#56 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:40:37 PM

Followon message, Cathy.

I missed something in the message.

I am NOT an expert. Please do not consider me such. I am a ''generalist''. Historically my people have suffered from ''hammer syndrone''. ''To a hammer, everything is a nail''. Part of my function is to stay the ''jack of trades'' to counter the ''hammer syndrone''.

If there is a Master, then I would give general advice, and then hand thee over, but observing that no ''hammering'' takes place.

So, please, consider anything I say as ''general''.

Take care,

Pate
skruzich
#57 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 12:02:25 AM

ajortalani, sue the real estate agent. They are required by law to disclose that the wood had been stripped. Its illegal to do that! If you were shown land with timber on it, and they didn''t say up front that it would be logged, then they misrepresented the sale.
Its malpractice, and verges on land fraud.
I would get me a lawyer on this.
steve
StreetLegal
#58 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 4:33:48 AM

Agreed. Find an attorney. I know it ain''t fun, but you gotta'' do it.
coastal hermit
#59 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 9:05:49 PM

You might try contacting the previous owner, the realtor and the logger first. Sit down with them all and explain that you have been wrongeed and you''d like to give them a chance to ''fix it as best they can'' before having to escalate the matter. Tell them that you are sure that a solution can be worked out and you are willing to listen. The only time you won''t listen is if they won''t talk. If they are crooks, they''ll shut up and you''ll have to litigate. But, if they are decent people who just made an error and who do not feel threatened by an angry person, they may agree to come to terms - especially once the facts are laid out (the law explained). It may come to a fight. But it also may not. As a mediator for 15 years, I can report that - out of 600 cases - only 4 didn''t come to a settlement and went to court. Try it. You lose nothing. Start the meeting with ''THIS MEETING IS UNDERTAKEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE''. That means people are free to speak without worrying that they will be quoted in court. Keep no notes and don''t ever try to quote them from that meeting. Point that out to them as your second concession to solving this amicably - the first being that you called the meeting. If everyone refuses to attend, it only strengthens your case when in front of the judge. Remember: most disputes stem from poor (or non-existent) communication. Good luck.
skruzich
#60 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 9:39:23 PM

JDC isn''t doing that without some kind of professional help, like shooting ones self in the foot if the other party decides to take notes and use whatever "Evidence" used in that meeting against them? You know that can work both ways. Just be careful if you try to handle it yourself.
steve