Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

The mystery of the exhumed tomato plants... Options
VaughnHill
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2003 4:55:23 AM

Does a strange world exist beneath our feet? Strange legends have persisted for centuries about the mysterious cavern world and the equally strange beings who inhabit it. More UFOlogists have considered the possibility that UFOs may be emanating from subterranean bases, that UFO aliens have constructed these bases to carry out various missions involving Earth or humans. Belief in a subterranean world has been handed down as myth, tale, or rumor down the generations from all over the world. Some of these stories date back to ancient times and tell tales of fantastic flora and fauna that can be found in the caverns of ancient races. Socrates spoke of huge hollows within the Earth which are inhabited by man, and vast caverns which rivers flow.

Or more likly the coon digging looking for a fish.
mikeg
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2003 6:28:42 PM

Every year for the past 5 years I have planted large amounts of trees on my property. The holes are dug with a powered auger and filled with a compost and soil mix with the bare root trees. The same thing was happening to me, not all of the trees just a few, I put it on to the coons they would smell the compost and pull the tree out and then start digging till they hit the bottom of the fresh hole. After they discovered there was nothing good to eat in any of the holes they would quit. This is just suspect no tracks or evidence to prove. If I plant just one thing now I put down some of my scent or they dig it up every time, some times they do any way.
Apemanevo
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2003 6:37:53 PM

It would take a LOT of pee to mark all of my tomato plants...better start bringing a jug to work...maybe the plants are evolving sentience, but only enough to crawl a short ways and then collapse!
Tenngarden
#4 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 2:12:42 AM

Bone meal and fish emulsion....both of these will work as an attractant for animal traps. Trust me.
You can burn your bone meal without changing the mineral content, but it will eliminate the smell. Remember it doesn''t have to smell strong to you to smell good to a coon.
DanR
#5 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 1:38:05 PM

Sounds like a coon to me. They are smart and can survive almost anywhere. Dog pee would work better. But not on the plants. Just near enough for the coons to smell it first and leave the area. Although, I have heard of coons eating a dog''s food if the dog is not very insistant that they leave.
basicmouth
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:51:16 AM

Coons are very dextrous (spelling??), so my vote is with them, unless you can uncover a conspiracy theory that involves your wife covering for Madeline.... is there someone around who really doesn''t like tomatoes?? Was it spite and malice? What was the motive?????
Countrygal
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 3:47:53 PM

Just an idea. You might sprinkle flour around the bottom of your plants in the evening and check in the am to see who your culprit is.
Apemanevo
#8 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 2:20:33 PM

It hasn''t happened since theoriginal incident, so either I scared them off with harsh language or the culprit figured out there wan''t anything down there but dirt...
rancid
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 12:46:47 AM

That''s the very reason they invented tomato cages.
So your tomatos dont get away. Rancid
dropkick
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:49:41 AM

You have to be careful with your tomatoes, there hasn''t been much danger of running into killer tomatoes since the 80''s, but you never know when there might be a reoccurrence.
Apemanevo
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:49:41 AM

Victims: 2 "Schimmieg Hollow" tomato plants and 2 "Principe Borghese" Drying Tomato plants.

Crime: Sometime between last night and this afternoon they were pulled and/or dug from the ground. The hole was then dug out to a depth that was just about as deep as when the plants were planted...

Evidence: The holes were neatly dug, the tomato plants were lying down on their sides next to the holes, indicating dexterous manipulation of both the plants and the dirt... The plants were planted 4-5 days ago, with a mixture of bone meal and alfalfa meal in the planting hole as fertilizer. Watered yesterday afternoon with a fish emulsion/worm tea solution, at which time they were still in the ground.

Suspects: The manner in which the plants were handled and skill with which the holes were dug first led me to implicate a 3 1/2 year old human named Madeline...she turned out to have an airtight alibi (her mother, who is at least semi-credible). My attention then turned to 1 year old Layla...but the neatness of the hole meant that she could have only acted in concert with above suspect, who, as mentioned, has an airtight alibi...

Couldn't be Rufus, the orange cat...the lack of opposable thumbs nor usuable digits limits his ability to lay a plant neatly down on its side...

SO...who/what did this??? Couldn't be a rabbit...What about a raccoon???

I assume the plants did not reach down and push themselves up out of the soil, only to stuggle a few inches and then collapse in a heap...