Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
I need to know how to scare Raccoons Options
srj
#21 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 4:59:08 AM

hi Cv im no spert on coons but have been told a coon seen in the day is ill distemper or rabies or ?? but i generally follow the three S theory for dealin with critters shoot , shoval,silence, don''t feel bad/foolishly about anything CV it''s u''re call it''s just things to be dealt with & we each have our own ways to deal with them ,welcome to the country life .JD a 22 hollow point seems a bit more reasonable than milkin cougers, cool story JD
StreetLegal
#22 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 6:45:36 AM

If your roof structure is surrounding the tree, it should be easy to string a hot wire across the open areas. I''ve never known any animal that was immune to shock therapy.

I also like the .22 hollow point idea!
DanR
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:12:54 PM

Just downloaded the hunting regs for Game Zone 2 in South Carolina. Here you can hunt coons all year long. Just can not use guns from March 2 to October 14. No problem for me, I hunt with a bow! At least here, I could knock off those little buggers anytime they came around. Lets hear it for the stew pot!
skruzich
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:12:40 AM

hmmm fire up the barby ;)
I think that coon is supposed to be bbqd and oppossum is for the stewpot. At least thats what granny on the beverly hillbillies used to do ;)
:P
steve
johnhagen
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:44:56 PM

When you build a house in there back yard what do you expect.I am not beyond killing them if they get into my chickens, but when you go to your weekend cabin you are going to there full time area .So just deal with it and enjoy what nature provides.Humans always want to change things and if they can not control the situation then just shoot it.
DanR
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:02:21 PM

John:

I agree with your statement, in principle. However, with the increase in the reported cases of rabies, you do need to be careful. Any coon that does not move off at the sight of a human is suspect. And if you do eat what you kill, there is no waste. If you do kill off one or two the others will quickly get the message that when you are around they should not be.
samgroff
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 5:06:06 PM

did u ever hear of a gun
springtime
#28 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 3:41:19 PM

Have you tried sneeking up behind ''em and yelling "BOO!" [:0]
Dorene
#29 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2003 3:50:31 PM

Growing up, we had a couple of racoons as pets. I still have a softspot for them, but they have never done a lot of damage around here - and I have never seen a pack!!! Except maybe a small family, Mom and a couple of kids. I have had to shoot a couple because I think one of the neighbors had put out poison and they were in a lot of pain. I''m wondering if there is something you could sprinkle on the roof? Their "hands" and feets are so incredibly sensitive - I know that''s why they recommend planting melons and pumpkins in the corn rows because they won''t want to walk over the vines to get the corn.
tynayer
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2003 7:55:31 PM

We have used several techniques to keep raccoons, groundhogs, and any other varmint away.. used kitty litter, sprinkle it around where you think they hang out, dog hair, human hair, toss it around, and last but not least, mark the territory as your''s literally, urinate on every tree. LOL It works. They don''t like these smells. We do every so often in our barn, we''ve never had any critter mess with the feed (except mice).
andydufresne
#31 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2003 12:55:12 AM

So, we should all go a pee on the walls of our outbuildings?

HMMM
skruzich
#32 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:50:38 AM

Hmmm I think i would rather lock n load.
steve
majere
#33 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:29:05 AM

I see Michael has already referred to ''Bob'', but I will toss it back in for what it is worth.

A Bobcat. I found a kitten when we first came here, and from the sign, I could tell he was motherless/abandoned. He was about three weeks old. We got him his shots, and a good start. Then set him out. The feral dogs, coons, feral cats, etc, either went elsewhere or had to deal with Bob. Another benefit was that he took care of the gophers in the gardens and fields. He is only semi-tame. But he comes to the pot-lucks for his ''pay''.

Take care,

Majere

skruzich
#34 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2003 2:37:51 PM

Not a bad idea. Majere.
;)
StreetLegal
#35 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2003 5:21:39 PM

I can''t imagine a more difficult task than trying to capture a bobcat kitten...though it would be fun to try.

It would also be fun to build a tripod with a 22 semi-automatic rifle mounted on a pan/tilt mechanism, night-vision scope, all of it electronically connected to your computer...then you could sit at your desk and "shoot the little bast***s"!
DanR
#36 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2003 3:55:06 AM

Street,

You need to get more exercise. Just sitting at your computer is a great way to gain weight. It is much more fun to go out after them. I do like to "sting" their little behinds with a BB gun. Just do not get to close. But it is fun to watch them run. ;)
cvadala
#37 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2003 3:55:06 AM

I have a slight problem that's more annoying than anything. I have a vacation cabin that's got a small pond behind it, and every night when I stay over, there's a huge racket on the roof (metal, of course!). I just thought it was the tree branches at first, but if you listen closely, you realize it's critter feet! I'm guessing it's raccoons just fishing for frogs and such in the pond and taking them up to the roof to eat (I hear splashing about in the pond, also). This weekend, I took a piece of 2x4 and banged on the roof rafters, and all was quiet for awhile, but a little later on the activity started up again. Anyway, was wondering if anyone has a humane, low tech solution to scare them off without harming them? Thanks, you've all been so helpful before!