Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Ducks Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2003 3:18:04 PM

Ducks do not have to have water to swim in but it is prefered. They do need to be able to submerge there heads. Not a lot of detail in your post but it sounds like they have a small enclosure. I would suggest lowering it to ground height and putting in a bit of sand under the bricks to take the water splashed out. If you are providing a swimming area do the same thing dig out a hole sink the pool in it back fill with sand and use the bricks as an edger. They tend to dirty the water quickly so if you bury a container put in a drain if you can.
johnhagen
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2003 12:29:57 PM

We bougt a 4 foot kid pool from the lumber yard that is 10 inches deep and put it out side, in there pen. all we have inside is a rubber pan set inside a wood cover so only 4 inches is exposed like a quarte moon on top.
cherterr
#3 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:22:51 PM

Chicken watering cans are pretty good. (You could hang it like a feeder) The ducks can drink w/o making such a mess.. but then the little trough gets muddy pretty quick. Ducks and geese just love to play in water. Good luck!
swomersley
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2003 6:03:14 PM

They have a kiddie pool and a 3" deep water dish for "snorkeling" outside. The waterer in their building is the one that''s the problem. I like John''s rubber pan inside a wood cover idea. That way they can get to the water, but don''t empty the whole thing. I have a waterfowl watering can on a pedestal, then two layers of bricks. It''s working better than before, but they still empty it out in half a day. Thanks for all of your input!
janna Porter
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:44:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by swomersley

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to provide water for ducks without having 90% of it splashing into their housing? I''ve tried raising it on a double row of bricks - maybe higher? They are Cayuga ducks and their shavings are saturated within two days. This is going to be a mega problem in the winter, needless to say.

janna Porter
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:50:22 PM

hi, I''m new to the forums and making mistakes!! Our ducks were making a big mess too and I set their waterer inside of a large plant tray. Also, the whole thing is set on top of two builders blocks. The excess water ends up in the plant tray. (most of it, anyway) My tray is about two inches wider than our waterer and a good three inches deep. I only change the bedding around it a couple of times a week now.
Sheila
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:42:03 AM

Welcome, Jo! And as you''ll see, we all make mistakes...
swomersley
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:42:03 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to provide water for ducks without having 90% of it splashing into their housing? I've tried raising it on a double row of bricks - maybe higher? They are Cayuga ducks and their shavings are saturated within two days. This is going to be a mega problem in the winter, needless to say.