Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

mother's pre-fab A frame Options
pate20135
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 05, 2003 10:33:05 PM

Check the indexs below, there is a section on Mothers plans, that way thee can get the number.

Then contact Heidi, of TMEN, at the number in the FAQ section.

I doubt she has it, but she often surprizes me. I have one copy, but very poor condition. And frankly, there are a couple of flaws with that design.

My best tip is if thee has an ''84 Lumber'' in the area, they have all kinds of plans in hoppers for thee to browse.

Take care,

Pate
hunter63
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:51:18 AM

There is a set of plans offered in the June/July 2003 for a "Prefrabricated, Gambrel Roof A-Frame" about page 94 or so ( they don''t number the "bookshelf" pages.

I don''t know of any others, as i was looking for the original issue that had the story. As it turns out, there wasn''t a story.

I did buy the plans, but not many "pictures", just plans.

The idea is to build it , then haul it to the site for assembly.
shadowman
#3 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 10:26:16 PM

try the site U-BUILD...has a couple of house plans plus a lot more...
ashabean
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2003 6:31:35 PM

I recently bought plans for the A frame from U-bild, and I took them to a Structural engineer, as a stamp was required.

He was very helpful, and advised myself and hubby that the plans didn''t allow for ventialtion in the roof. He told us that the plans would need totally reworking to be useable.

Also the stairs to the upstairs are located OUTSIDE, yes I wrote OUTSIDE the building!!!!! I am in Upstate New York, in the land of perpetual snow, so that makes a big difference - can you imagine going outside to go to bed when it is 17 below!!!!!

If your in a warmer climate the plans might be ok. But just be warned Ubild house plans are not designed for a cold climate!

Before you buy them I would be more than happy to let you have a look at my set.
shadowman
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2003 5:47:44 AM

outside huh?....wow...wheres the bathroom...next door?..lol
skruzich
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2003 2:01:11 PM

Heres a tip, if you build the A-frame, into a hillside, you will have a access area level with second story for moving furniture without having to go up stairs. Stairs are easy to build in a A-Fram too. Ventilation wouldn''t be hard either, just put in a window at each end. Your strength is going to be in the post and beams that hold the second story floors. For light you can put in skylites too.
steve
cordwoodguy
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2003 6:52:50 PM

SCHUTZBEAR.....IN CASE YOU CAN`T FIND MOTHERS PLANS FOR THE A-FRAME.
POPULAR MECHANICS DID AN ARTICLE IN THEIR MAY 1973 ISSUE.YOU MIGHT TRY ORDERING IT FROM THEM...THE PLAN NO. IS 726-2.[FIRST FLOOR CONTAINS 702 SQ FT,SECOND FLOOR 288 SQ FT.]
I`M SURE A SEARCH ON THE NET FOR A-FRAME PLANS SHOULD HAVE SOME RETURNS.

CORDWOODGUY
wharri
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2003 3:03:27 AM

I have been researching A-Frame plans and can''t find what I want. Most of them seem to have a few features I like but none are even close to the overall picture. Searches on the net have been a waste, I guess A-Frames are a thing of the past. UBuild only has the BIG expensive models. I will try to find the one mentioned from Popular Mechanics.

Here is a link that was very informative and I think the one you are looking for: http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=044/044-121-01&ID=1766&Num=13
schultzbear
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2003 3:03:27 AM

Mother offered plans for a 600 sq foot A frame
back in the early eighties. Any one with plans or
info an anything similar id appreciate it.