Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

HAND HEWN BEAMS Options
Bruce Holman
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 5:25:44 AM

An adz would do the best job.
But if it comes to that, why just duplicate hand-hewn beams? Why not learn to do the real thing?
I''m not expert, but I''ve done a few. I can square a twelve or fifteen foot beam in about an hour, using a broad-axe and an adz.
But...BE CAREFUL !!! The nature of the project requires that you swing very sharp tools very near your legs and feet.

...The more I think about it...maybe you shouldn''t try this...
macloudd
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 12:30:51 PM

A rough cut beam from a sawmill looks nearly as good as a hand hewn beam.Most people now a days don''t know the difference,and the ones that do,well they know how labor intensive they are and understand why you don''t build that way.To date I have not had one person scoff at my log home and say"slacker,you didn''t hand hew the logs":-)
jdcox
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 4:40:11 PM

Another thing to consider.....unfinshed beams collect dust and dirt and are next to impossible to clean. Dress ''em up right.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:05:02 PM

Jd is right, I would consider at the very least planing the very top portion of the beam for easier cleaning.
jdcox
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:08:52 AM

This will ''slay'' you.........as you know, we now make cabins. Kits. We make log cabins, timberframe cabins and conventional frame and SIP cabins. We can do anything. We advertise the ''everyday'' stuff because that''s what most people want. But we can do anything. Anyway, one customer wanted hand hewn logs. All our logs are peeled and ''turned'' to a uniform diameter............we buy them that way. It is the ''norm'', the ''standard''. But the guy wanted hand hewn. So.......we hewed them! That''s right! perfectly turned and finished logs were given over to two old guys who still knew how to work an adze and broadaxe and they ''roughed them up'' a little.
Cost the owner a few extra G''s but he was happy and so were the old gents and me? I just shake my head.
cordwoodguy
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:14:22 AM

JUST SO THE READERS ARE AWARE OF THE DANGERS OF HEWING THE LOGS WITH ADZES AND BROADAXES.
SOME OLD TIMERS USED TO STAND IN WOODEN BOXES TO WARD OF THE MISGUIDED BLOWS FROM THE AXES AND ADZES.THESE WERE THE SMART PRO`S.HEWING WOULD PROBABLY GIVE A SMOOTHER FINISH THAN THE ROUGH SAWN WOOD.

CORDWOODGUY
Bruce Holman
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2003 4:36:56 AM

Yeah, and keep in mind, the broad axe is a SMOOTHING tool, not a hewing tool. Make a first set of notches with a timber axe, then knock out the inbetween pieces with the timber axe, then smooth the surface of the log with the broad axe.
An adz is useful in finishing work.
But BE CAREFUL!

...Not kidding about this being dangerous work...
...If you accidentally chop off a toe you may have trouble counting to twenty in the future...
cordwoodguy
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2003 4:36:56 AM

I`M NOT SURE WHERE I READ IT BUT SOME ONE ASKED HOW TO DUPLICATE
HAND HEWN BEAMS.I`M NOT SURE IF IT WAS HERE OR SOMEWHERE ELSE.

MAKITA HAS AN ELECTRIC PLANNER WITH A CURVED BASE.THIS WOULD COPY THE LOOK QUITE WELL.BUT ITS EXPENSIVE.

THERE IS ALSO AN ATTACHMENT TO FIT ON A 60CC PLUS CHAINSAW.
THAT COULD DO THE SAME THING VERY QUICKLY.BUT FAIRLY EXPENSIVE.

YOU COULD RESORT TO THE OLD ADZ AND DO IT EXACTLY LIKE THE REAL HEWN BEAMS WERE DONE.A BROAD AXE /AXE COULD ALSO DO IT CHEAPER.

CORDWOODGUY