Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Structural Insulated Panels (SIP) Options
DanR
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:39:47 PM

They were used to rebuild a barn into a house on "This Old House" on PBS several years back. They used a craine to move them into position around a post and beam frame. Very good at insulating but not owner built friendly, from my point of view. Do not know the cost, but they looked to be less than cost efficent. Anything that has to be shipped, kit homes, log home kits, ect., will add to the cost. It is best to just keep it simple, unless you live right next to the kit supplier.
michaels
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:51:25 PM

Majere researched this also, and discarded. He did not really give a reason other than a ''gut feeling'' that such would give offence to our craftsmen and not be cost effective in the long run.

Such are often used on the DC side of the mountains. ''mushroom houses''. They go up that fast, and from what he observed, just as unsturdy.

Michael.
arrdavid
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 7:57:52 PM

I took the Natural Building Class from SEI (solarenergy.org)last summer and they covered this technique. They said that everyone needs to build thermos bottles for homes. At that time, the only techniques that offered this effect were straw bale and SIP''s. Obviously, straw bale was preferred because it''s natural, but SIP''s were second. I''ve installed this system for a roof and they had to be craned in. You might need a crane to do the installation but you''ll have your perimeter walls up in one day!
jdcox
#4 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2003 4:10:52 AM

I sell them. So, I''ll keep this to a minimum.......
I sell them because they are good, fast, Green and strong. And I am using them myself.
DanR
#5 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2003 1:44:26 PM

Costal:

What are the shipping cost? I think that will be have a major inpact on most buyers.
jdcox
#6 Posted : Friday, August 08, 2003 9:49:11 PM

Shipping is a factor. No question. But not a huge one but it becomes bigger as the distance exceeds 500 miles. Until that distance, it is comparable to lumber delivery. I am such a huge fan of SIPs, that I have lost objectivity. I''d probably pay for a 1000 mile delivery because - in the long run - I think it is worth it.
mikeg
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 5:38:59 PM

They are manufactured in several places around the country, the ones I am familiar with come from Louisville KY. I plan to use them in my next home. You can have OSB on both sides or have the inside covered with a finish material such as drywall or T&G oak.
Tom woods
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 5:38:59 PM

I’m thinking about building a new home using structural insulated panels. These are the prefab panels that are made with two sheets of OSB with foam in-between the OSB. These panels replace the normal 2X4 exterior walls. I have not seen a home built with this type of construction, however it looks to be a very good way of building. Does anyone have any experience building with SIPs?

There have been several recent issues of MEN where SIPs are discussed, however there has not been enough information to aid in my decision about using SIPs.