Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Ants Options
justme
#1 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 11:38:02 PM

I used to have the same problem when I had my apartment. Now that I bought a house, and have no [indoor] ants, I got a catalog in the mail with a nonpoisonous ant and roach killer. It uses mint oil as the active ingredient! Check them out at http://www.planetnatural...anicalinsecticides1.html
Sheila
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2003 4:25:34 AM

You can try mixing 20 Mule Team borax with some grease or something sweet (like syrup or jelly) and leave it out for them to eat.
dropkick
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2003 9:21:52 AM

Catnip, pennyroyal, peppermint, sage, and spearmint are supposed to repell ants.

Use cucumber parings as a repellant (also supposed to work on cockroaches).

Vinegar or lemon juice sprayed around the foundation will repel ants. (though bad for cement if sprayed on it)

Ants will not walk through talcum powder, chalk, or diatomaceous earth, use a line as a barrier to keep them out of the house.

Caulk all cracks in the house to deny them access.

Smear vasoline around the base of any plant/tree where the ants are farming aphids.

Pour apple cider vinegar down the nest.

If you flood the nest often they might move.
bobeakin
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 3:39:15 PM

Thanks to all for the ant tips!
Dorene
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:45:51 PM

Salt is toxic to ants. I had an invasion last summer and learned that and started wiping my counters down once a day with salt water. They disappeared. I also had someone tell me to put powdered detergent around the house as a barrier guard. I haven''t tried that, but it probably works the same as the talc.
lunailoniafaer
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 5:41:17 AM

Baking soda, Borax,lime and sea salt are all fantastic to keep them out.

Like most things here in Alaska, our ants are ENORMOUS (We''re talking about 1-2 inches long!) but were stopped in their tracks when we filled they''re holes with baking soda and drizzled it about the doorways and windows :)
williamsson
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 11:00:10 AM

i read recently that a flower called Yellow Tansy will ward off ants, or at least the leaves will; the book suggests crushing the leaves against any areas in which you notice ants and they won''t come back; I pulled a passage on tansy from the web: ". . . Uses: The bitter spicy leaves are used sparingly in "Tansy" a custard pudding. Before refrigeration, meat was wrapped in Tansy leaves to flavor it and repel flies. They are a powerful insect repellent, placed in pets beds to ward off fleas and in doorways against ants and mice. The aerial parts give a facial steam and a poultice for bruises, rheumatism, and varicose veins. It is used in homeopathy to expel worms. Tansy may be poisonous internally. For best results to repel bugs plant Tansy as a border around your garden. Attracts the beneficial insect, Imported cabbageworms. Tansy repels harmful insects like green peach aphids, squash bugs and Colorado potatoe beetle. . . "
bobeakin
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 11:00:10 AM

With all the rain here on the east coast, we are invaded with ants.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them without using poison sprays?
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks