Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

poultry as insect eaters: a question Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 12:23:53 PM

Not sure about them eating the plants or not, but your not going to keep them out of anything. They will fly. ;P
I see them in trees all the time.
patrick46135
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 9:55:47 PM

I''ve never heard of Guineas eating plants, they are pretty much carnivores. Chickens on the other hand..........
mikeg
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2003 5:44:31 PM

The latest issues story on guineas stated " They''re also the most active gardner on the farm. Continuously on the move, they pick up bugs and weed seeds with nearly every peck they take--and they do it without destroying the plants"
ironkitten
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:17:42 PM

The most damage that I can think they''d do, at least the most they''ve done...
here, is to scratch around tender seedlings.. If you put a collar around them, maybe, at least until they can take a little scooting around. They won''t actually eat any of your plants, but like Patrick said, chickens..... ha ha WILL.
I can promise you one thing... you won''t see another tick! Good Luck!
ListerD
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2004 2:33:38 PM

Hmm, now I have a question or two...

Can Guinea be left to their own devices?

We''re buying some property from some friends (purchasing land within their land), we don''t intend to move there full time for a few years.

Could we buy Guinea now and leave them free range (with shelter provided)? I understand potential issues with predators. Butthere''s plenty of bugs for them to eat on and several natural springs for water.

I know they alert at snakes, but will they kill the snakes? I''d prefer snakes be left alone as an anti rodent device...
andydufresne
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:06:05 PM

I have read in several articles that they will kill snakes. I have copper heads here and that is one reason that Guineas figure in my long range plans.
TabletopHomestead
#7 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2004 3:11:04 AM

I don''t catch my guineas eating plants, but they do enjoy dust baths in any exposed garden soil. They''ll also make a mess of mulch looking for bugs. They''re unsurpassed bug control in my opinion. I had legendary Great Plains grasshoppers that actually would eat an entire giant sunflower right off the stalk. I''ve had guineas for 2 or 3 years and last year I saw maybe 10 to 20 ''hoppers. I keep about 35 adults that range over about 5 acres. Same control with ticks. I live in a notoriously snake-y area and have seen a grand total of 3 poisonous snakes, all at least 200 yards from the house. My birds have no barn. They roost in the trees and eat a bit of grain off the ground. They lay eggs faithfully and even manage to raise a few. Most of the eggs I incubate, or at least capture the babes shortly after mom hatches them for protected brooding. The naturally brooded keets can get into a tree at 3 weeks of age. I''ve seen it. Just call me the Fervent Guinea Prophet.
ListerD
#8 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2004 4:37:36 AM

So yours are essentially left free range with no intervention from you (other than the hatchlings)?
ListerD
#9 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2004 1:36:46 PM

OK, so it appears they can be left free range. I think we''d still set out water (planning on building rainwater collection this month anyway) and a dry shelter for them if they wanted either.

http://www.homestead.org/Poultry/VictoraVarga/GuineaFowl.htm

Now, can we just keep males (to stave off keets until we can be there to mind the little fellows) until we move down full time?

kristinlowder
#10 Posted : Monday, April 05, 2004 1:36:46 PM

[8D]Aloha anyone who can help us!
Here on the Big Island of Hawai'i we have a problem with lots of ticks and mosquitos. I would like to get Guinea hens to combat this problem, but my husband thinks they will eat our crops (just the heirloom tomatoes we grow, we think the coffee, bananas, papayas and mangos will be safe!). Do we have to build a barrier to keep the hens out, or will the not bother the tomatoes? Any reply would be appreciated!
Mahalo nui and aloha![8D]