Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

where to move? Options
cheryljoy
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 4:38:00 AM

Hi all, I’m looking for advice and ideas! I’ve been researching where to move to (to escape the expensive, fast paced, unsustainable, polluted suburbs of Philadelphia,) and want to see if anyone has some ideas based on what I want. (It’s probably some paradise or Shangri-La that doesn’t exist!) So: Does anyone know of a good place to live where it is a lower cost of living, walkable towns, rural enough that we might find some place at the edge of a town to have enough space for self sufficient living yet not a lot of driving necessary, and unpolluted water and air? I’d like to move to somewhere in the Northeast: New York, New England. I know people in the Syracuse area and so we were mostly thinking of there (and I absolutely LOVE lots of snow) but I’m now learning that I think New York is the one state that is worse than Pennsylvania to homeschool in. Vermont seems perfect also, except I think the cost of living might be too high for one salary. I want to find somewhere that is affordable so we can live on one salary so I can raise and homeschool our daughter, have a good garden, chickens maybe (finally) continue to make everything from scratch, etc. – Radical homemaking, to use a term coined by Shannon Hayes. The reason I want to move away is that I never wanted to live here in the first place( we moved here from a small town about 20 miles from Syracuse when I was 12 years old,) and with regard to pollution, especially water quality and Superfund sites, it’s one of the worst places to live, health-wise. It’s way too expensive. It’s not walkable, but mostly bedroom communities or strip development and the epitomy of Suburbia. Etcetera. I will certainly miss the wonderful museums of Philadelphia, though! I’ve moved so many times in my life that I can’t count them. This is going to be the last time, hopefully, so I really want to make the right choice, since I’m 51, my husband is 53 and my daughter is 9. I guess it’s finally time to find a spot to stay! Even my daughter, in her mere 9 years, has lived in 3 places! Thanks for any ideas! Cheryl Joy
JDC
#2 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 5:15:33 PM

I am a big fan of the PacNorWest. About as pollution free as you can get. And lots of places are affordable. I live in Canada and it is NOT as inexpensive to live here as the USA. Almost twice as expensive. Still Canada has a lot going for it. Seclusion being right up there. Just went back to the city for the winter and hated it! OMG! Traffic, traffic, traffic. Ugly. Stupid, soul-killing pursuit of money to stay in an expensive jail. That is what it was...really. Any small town is better than that!