Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

What to do about the goat shed Options
liefhaven
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:56:41 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a brand new poster here. My husband and I bought an 8.1 acre property in Western WA last year, and we have big dreams but very little know-how.

We're hoping to bring home three pygora goats this spring. The problem is the goat shed.

Our 1946 home has two out-buildings: the garage and a 12x12 structure I call the goat shed. The interior framing and walls are lumber, and then there are about 4-6 inches of stucco, which forms the exterior. Both buildings have concrete foundations with roughly 16 inches of concrete above ground, and the lumber starts on top of that. Both have small lofts. They were definitely built more recently than the house, maybe in the 1970s by the state of the roof.

The structure itself is in very good shape, though the roof is not. We need to do something about the roof before bringing the goats home. The question is whether to patch it temporarily or hire a roofer friend to give it a new roof altogether, and that question depends on the ultimate fate of the goat shed.

While it's a great structure for them, it's very much in the wrong place. It's maybe 12 inches away from the garage, but it's not connected to it. The result is a dark alley which is perfect for rats, especially in our climate. It also blocks all light from the garage's only two windows. And the roof lines are such that water from the garage's gutters drains directly onto the shed.

We want the permanent goat shed to be about fifty feet away. Since we are not handy at all, this leaves us with three options:

1. Hire someone to move the shed. Pros: simple, and we get to keep the structure. We could re-roof it this spring in good conscience. Cons: I have no idea how much it would cost, and it might very well be prohibitive. Any guesses? Also, we might get into zoning/permit issues here, since it's a little closer to our stream.

2. Embark on a learning experience. As I said, we are NOT handy, but we're trying to learn. I was thinking that we could disassemble the shed with an eye towards saving the lumber. Then we could re-assemble it with a new foundation in the desired spot and build up the exterior with cob techniques, creating a structure very similar to the old one. I would also love for the shed to have a green roof, and this would give us the opportunity to add that. Pros: probably least expensive, great learning experience, we get to keep the heart of the structure. Cons: we don't know what the heck we're doing! Any pros in the area who do this kind of work?

3. Buy a new shed from Home Depot and have them install it in place. Pros: defined cost, easy on us, a quality structure for the goats. If we got the goats this spring and placed them in the old shed, they could continue to live there while their new home was built. Cons: We have to figure out what to do with the old shed. It's a waste. The new one also wouldn't match the appearance of the house/garage.

We were thinking of creating the permanent structure next year, after all the more urgent initial projects are done, but now I'm starting to question that. Maybe it's something we really want to check off before the goats come home. At the very least, it'd be good to have a plan.

All input is appreciated, and yes, I know absolutely NOTHING about construction, so you aren't going to hurt my feelings if you highlight that fact! We did put up about 600 feet of fence and two gates this month. It was a learning experience, but it showed us that we enjoy the hands-on work. However, my husband is partially disabled, and there will always be limits to what the two of us can do. We're 25 and have more energy than knowledge or sense. :)

I should also mention that we live 2000 miles away from our family and most of our friends, so it's hard to ask wiser souls for advice, let alone find people to help with labor.

Thanks,
Angie