Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Idea for a chick coop w/out heat lamp Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2004 4:55:02 AM

O.K. made a rough sketch of my idea and posted it in the dropkick ideas and pics folder - at above
chascomly
#2 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2004 5:38:37 PM

Like the idea...here''s my musings on it.
No need to build a seperate cold frame on the front - you could just build a little lean to. The other thing that came to mind would be to have the front wall of the chicken house made out of block or cordwood construction to allow for thermal mass so heat would continue to be given off at night. You could just put some block on the ground in the greenhouse/cold frame to achieve a similar effect. Or how about a concrete floor(on isulation to prevent loss through ground contact) that went from the sunroom into the coop. Whatever is done, you should be able to open it up in the summer so that you don''t cook your birds...that''s the good thing about the cold frame but you could make a greenhouse the same way.
And of course, southern exposure
skruzich
#3 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2004 7:12:49 PM

Hey dropkick, I already have a chicken coop without a heat lamp. I call it a freezer ;)
ohioganic
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2004 10:41:14 PM

This might work if you really insulate the coop well. It has got to stay above 85#730;F at night or you will loose a lot of chicks to cold and piling (chicks get cold so they pile on each other crushing the ones at the bottom-I have lost 10% of the chicks at night because the coop got below 85#730;F and they piled). In warm weather this would proabaly work well but in the spring when night temps go below freezing I wonder.

We use a chicken tractor with a heat lamp or two in it to start chicks. We find it very important that they get to eat pasture ASAP. They eat a lot more pasture than if they are introduced at 3 weeks or later (I am talking hybrid meat birds, it make make no difference with pullets who will be allowed to live years not weeks)
skruzich
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 03, 2004 12:17:44 AM

I don''t know but wouldn''t 730 Farenheight somewhat cook your chickens??? :P
I just put a lightbulb in the box where i keep the chicks. If they run away from the light, and search out shadows, its too warm, if they congregate under the lamp crowded together they are too cold, if they are loosely packed together under the lamp, the temp is about right.Should be around 90 degrees. Every week drop the temp 5 degrees til you get to 75 degrees. That should get you down enough they will survive.
Should be about 3 - 4 weeks and they will be ready for moving into a coop. I don''t let them out on the ground for a couple to three weeks until they grow bigger since they are very small at that point and anything will kill them. I try to let them get big enough to where a good swift peck will deter any cat that wanders up on them. Dogs and hawks are a different matter.
dropkick
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 03, 2004 8:36:31 AM

Oops! Deleted my drawing from the picture post as I thought this thread was done for.
Don''t know if I still have the drawing either, as I am not going to build it this summer.
Decided to go with normal cheap brooding method. Going to keep them in a cardboard box, indoors, with a lightbulb, untill they are old enough to transfer to the coop - there is a drawing of that.
ohioganic
#7 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 12:17:19 AM

yes 750F would be too hot. I don''t know what happened to the numbers there (!)
I meant if it gets below 85F at night.
dropkick
#8 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 6:45:29 AM

I am trying to come up with things for off grid living... as I am going to be there soon if things work out.

Came up with a plan for a kerosene heated brooder, am going to build it sometime this summer.
Will post a drawing later tonight - have to make it first. (at address above)
skruzich
#9 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 1:02:25 PM

Dropkick once you get your first batch of chickens grown, just keep them around and let them raise up the next batch of chicks. Then you dont need a light ;)
dropkick
#10 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 1:02:25 PM

Got an idea for a small portable coop for chicks, that would incorporate a small greenhouse/cold frame as part of it. Would have coop then cold frame then small run.
Am going to post a jpg of my idea as soon as I draw it (only in my mind right now).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mearth_news/

Would appreciate any suggestions or criticisms you can come up with, as it is still in the formative stage.