Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Kerosene heater blue flame Options
Chooch
#1 Posted : Friday, February 02, 2007 11:43:46 PM

I use 2 heaters regularly in my house. The smaller units. 12,000 BTU I think.
The flame I get out the top is blue when I get them really cranking.
Nothing special about mine. De-carbon every month or so. Undyed Kero. I usually turn them down til the flame is very low.

Used to have a large heater. 22,000 BTU I think. It over heated the house on milder days so I gave it to my parents.

The difference between the 2 styles, the smaller unit has a 6" tall glass and metal tube for the flame. The wick is at the bottom of the tube. The metal heats to a glowing red and by the time the flame is out the top, it is blue. If you turn it up too much, a yellow, noisy, sooty flame emerges.

The larger heater has a larger diameter wick, and a shorter tube, no glass. The flame is meant to be adjusted to a medium yellow flame peaking out the top. Any shorter or taller and I found I got a smelly or sooty flame. Never a blue flame.

My conclusion (I had thought about this before) is that the smaller design produces a hotter flame and longer combustion chamber for a more complete burn. The heated metal parts also help to complete the burn. The larger design was actually a cooler yet larger flame and did not achieve a complete fuel use due to size. Maybe with the larger flame, the heat from a complete burn would overwhelm a household designed unit.
sea_goin_dude
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:47:18 AM

New member here but I used to use kerosene heater for years. Always a blue flame. One problem with these heaters is they must run almost full on in order to heat the metal grid and get the most efficiend and safe flame. Mine is only 8000btu so not a problem running it wide open. Most heaters now are a lot larger that mine and would produce too much heat for my house. So  but a smaller heater if you can so that you can run it full high flame to get the blue flame. Anything less than a blue flame is dangerous as it does not give full combustion and complete burning of the fuel.

Unlike gas heaters that can be adjusted for as low or as high as needed these kero heaters will not and do not give good, efficient and safe combustion if not run high enough to get the metal grid to turn red as this does cause complete combustion and the SAFE BLUE FLAME that you want. If you can't run your heater wide open due to too much heat in the house I would trade it or sell it and find a smaller one that will give you efficient and safe burning along with the comfortable heat that you want. Mine is cranked about as high as it will possibly go them back slightly is I get any orange at the top of the flame.

PS I've never seen a kero heater that can be set at a low level. There may be some but as I said in order for that grid to turn red and give you complete and SAFE combustion all i have seem must be run almost wide open if not completely wide open.

I have had mine for years and I can[t find any now that give a lower btu rating. Most are like 15 or 20 000 btu which would not and could not be burned in my house without overheating the rooms. So I will never sell mine for sure

one other note if you do not run these heaters full on they will carbon up the wick and due to incomplete combustion you will get the kero smell throughout your house. This is dangerous also.

GET A CO DETECTOR AND A SMOKE DETECTOR AND KEEP GOOD BATTERIES IN BOTH

dahermit
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:47:18 AM

While visiting a local hardware store the other day, I noticed two kerosene heaters that were burning with a blue flame. This surprised me inasmuch as I have one and it never had a blue flame (indicating complete burning of the fuel). Mine from day one has had an orange flame. Therefore, I installed a new wick, cleaned out all the carbon, filled with new kerosene (dyed but the stuff I had use previously had not been died and it too produced an orange flame), waited until the wick had saturated, lighted and ajusted the flame, and behold; an orange flame. How does the hardware storge get a blue flame? They said they were not doing anything special, were using just undyed kero, and would decarbonize the wick at regular intervals. Im at a loss...Is the flame susposed to be blue after all?
And if so, how do I get one?[?]
Regards,
dahermit