Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Ozarkland.com Options
srj
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 4:52:52 AM

hi... all i''m gonna say for now is be careful i''ve heard the name in converstion with a friend thats lived in the area & owns a piece of property in the area and his take wasn''t nice will try to talk to him as soon as possable & will post eeeerrrrr(seems fraud came up in the conversation)but i maybe mistaken ,,,,,,,,but to good to be true ,it generaly is
andydufresne
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 2:16:21 PM

DOn''t know about THIS company BUT...buying land over the Net is not easy. There was a lot of sale in Hardy, AR. IT was on Ebay. Looked like a FULL CITY LOT was going to go for less than a thousand dollars. I called the city and iqured about the area. GREAT AREA, nice gravel road, no utilities. Was not ACTUALLY IN the city. RIght on the edge. The claim in the as was that nearby lots of the same size had sold for $1500 or more. THAT was true...but NEARBY meant just over the line into the city and on the powerlines and water lines. Taxes for it were $18 a year. That kinda gives you an idea.
Corgitails
#3 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 3:47:24 AM

Hey Sri! Please see if you can find that info for us!

I am also impressed by their website, but it does seem slightly too good to be true.
Hoop
#4 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 4:34:55 AM

Ozarkland.com has been around for quite awhile and is a legitimate company. They buy up tracts of land and subdivide them. There appeal is the low down payment...which allows "landless" people an opportunity to own something.
Like all businesses, they are out to make a profit. I believe there finance rate is in the 8 - 10 percent range.
The lots are NOT surveyed......if you want a survey....you''ll have to pay for it.

Can you purchase property in the area cheaper than at Ozarkland? You bet. Far cheaper. Just don''t expect the owner to finance it.

Ozarkland doesn''t appeal to everyone.....but it does have its following.
FilthyK
#5 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 4:42:29 AM

Thanks for the info.

An arrangement like this may be ideal for someone like myself who''s going through bankruptcy. With my current state of finance, I have to deal with cash quite a bit. They don''t seem all too concerned with your credit, but their contract allows for them to "bump" you right quick if you don''t pay. Fortunately, I should have in the area of 10k available when I make the move, so a large downpay would go well, I am sure.

My only other question, then, is this... Does anyone know of any other companies like this? Maybe in the southern Kentucky region?
srj
#6 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 6:56:53 AM

impressive site but i suggest you read the sample contract very close .not a lawyer but i wouldn''t touch it, just my opinion ,am trying to catch up my friend will post his take on them if it is the same company we talked about . i know they have advertised in M.E.N. for many years.Hoop i am not trying to slam a legit company, if they are then, they should be able to stand up to scrutney. tc ray
srj
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2003 6:38:17 AM

hi Filtyk it''s the same company ,so sorry to hear about the bankruptcy,seem''s they have a bad rep.with the locales , alot of the land has been clear cut,plus many other probs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,word''s such as scoundrel & some other choice words came up,,some of the property''s they are offering are near my friends farm...i can''t repeat the conversation as i may open myself up to a lawsuit,,plus you need to be about a 100% self sufficent as there''s not much in the way of work in the area ,,,,best of luck on finding something in s kentucky ,,,,,,but if i may suggest if you use a company like this go there smooze with the locales a bit, before signing anything might keep ya from getting takin & adding to your troubles (buyer beware)
tc ray
ps imho i wouldn''t touch um with a cane pole
FilthyK
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2003 7:15:20 PM

Thanks for checking that out, srj. I do admit the parcels looked a bit cookie-cutter subdivided to me, but their contract seemed to stipulate that no clear-cutting was allowed, although they would allow one to cut timber for on-site home construction. In light of that, I am surprised to hear that some of the land had been clear-cut, but if you know someone who lives there, I certainly can''t dispute your info.

A few of the homesteading books I''ve looked at suggest one gets to know the "neighborhood" before making a more permanent move. This is good advice that may seem obvious to some, but probably not to most.
srj
#9 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 4:33:22 AM

from what i was told many of the parcels were cut before hand (no real timber value to be had)& the streams that run in the spring are dry most of the yr ,,,am just posting what i was told ,,,,,,,if anyone has something positive to say about this company please post ,,,,,as i''ve heard nothing but negetive from 2 ppl that don''t know each other
tc ray
scottmcalpine
#10 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 10:47:46 PM

In answer to your question, there is a subdivider called Countrytyme Realty that operates in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. They have a website (countrytyme.com) with details. I have bought two parcels from them - glad to answer any questions.
Tenngarden
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 12:11:29 AM

Years ago, when I bought a place "on time"(not from Ozarkland) I looked at it like this: How much does it cost me in a year to have this property? So buying this way is good, sometimes. It was less than rent would have been, and allowed me to "leverage" my way up in the world.
andydufresne
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 2:33:14 AM

Been thinking about this and one thing you should keep in mind is this:

I signed my land contract at a time when the 10% interest rate was VERY VERY GOOD. I bought it this way due to the very low down payment. I bought 5 acres withing 30 minutes of downtown Little Rock for 12,500. When interest rates go WAY DOWN if I am a little slow with a payment they don''t fuss much because if the repossesed the land and re-sold it they would have to sell it at a much less interest rate...conversly if interest rates go WAY UP I will have to make sure every payment is there on time so that they won''t be tempted to look for a new payer.

Look for a PENALTY for early payment. Mine doesn''t have one but some do. I can pay any payments ahead of time or the entire thing. My intent is to have the land paid for in less than 10 years from now. MABYE in 5. I want to be able to make a living off the land by the time I turn 55 in 10 years. I am going to build a root cellar into the side of a hill this summer. The same hill I want to build my house into by the time I intend to live off the land in 10 years.

IF THAT is the only way you can buy land then by all means I would encourage you to do it that way. THERE IS NOTHING like owning land. Look at my signature and you will see how I feel about that.
trapper
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:53:57 AM

i know this is way out dated but i have experience with ozarkland.com the r a good company i bought 20 acres from them. everything was as they said sort of. the description was accurate but no way could i get to it even if i had a humvee, helicopter would have worked good though. LOL i called the office and told them i wanted my money back no problem i drove about 50 miles to there office and picked my first months land payment didnt loose a dime well maybe a stamp to send the initial moneyorder. They have a clause i think it was 10 days once u signed your contract and paid your money u could back out of it. they also offer a trade in deal. at anytime u can exchange one of their parcels for another one ,most or part of the money already spent goes onto the new place. just thought u all should know. BYE
srj
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 7:15:16 AM

hey mountain man ya got your money back great what happens after the ten day''s is a diff story from what i''ve been told ,,,will be spring turkey hunting less than 5 miles from the owners house,,some of the folks i''m hunting with have had prop in the area for 20+ yrs ,,think i''ll wait and see what else comes up on this thread ,print it & take with and see what else they have to say, sure to be a conversation piece
ozarkland.com ,,aka woods and waters
do have to agree with Andy if it''s the only way to get it then by all means do so ,all i''m saying is be careful do your research ,go to the area & ask the locales ,work opp''s etc.
many shark''s swim in these waters[:(]
VaughnHill
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 7:26:26 AM

I would go for it. Just check out the land before you do it. Make sure its what you want.
B.B.1984
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 3:18:01 PM

if you are in that area there is land alot cheaper than what they offer. check out a place call indian creek near potosi MO. Also there are alot of other places with very low down payment $50 and very low monthly payments with almost no interest, notice i said almost. 5 acee at indian creek cost $69 down and was like $59 a month. the roads r very rough but passible with any car at least in the summer time. there is some beautiful land there big oaks, lots of caves, neighbors are spread out, grear swimming holes and not to mention the smallmouth bass. 11 miles to potosi, 30 miles to sullivan...so if your looking for land in MO look around, great deals can be had.
B.B.1984
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 3:21:04 PM

btw- the only problem with this area is the drug traffic. lots of crystal meth cookers, and doers. people r not too friendly with outsiders.
DanR
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:36:53 PM

FilthyK:

Just check the local news papers. Around here there are several ads for land that is being sold by owners and developers with little down. Most come with a deed that does let them take back the property if you do not pay on time. Just read the contract before signing. Around here, the developers want somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.00 an acre. Not a real good deal.
DanR
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2004 7:14:02 PM

One additional site you may wish to look at is the National Association of Counties at:

www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Home

This site has a lot of information on counties in all states.
NShel
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:46:48 PM