Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Which brand of pressure cooker do you recommend? Options
celtic2
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:47:41 PM

I have been using Presto for many years and they work great!
Durgan
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:12:04 AM

Pressure Cooker

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?OWLRF 10 November 2008 Pressure Cooker

The old Presto Pressure Cooker was replaced. The new one is 8 quarts and the old one still functioning after 30 years was 5 quart. The construction is basically the same, but the new one is polished aluminum, which won't leach aluminum as much as the older type material.

A large percentage of my cooking is done with the pressure cooker. With a bit of practice cooking is quick and food retains more nutrients.

For an insert a colander is utilized with the handles knocked off. All pressure cookers should have an insert to prevent water from touching the material being cooked, and to prevent material from bubbling and clogging the pressure ports. I have several inserts, but see no reason why the fold up type would not work.
Here is what I use. http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?FMXRO
The screen type is ideal for grains, and the larger is my first effort, which is probably better for solid food and beans. It is also easier to clean.

There are several Pressure Cookers on the market, but with ridiculously complicated locking mechanisms, and peculiar ports. Caveat emptor!
practicalman45
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:32:10 PM

Avoid choosing any obscure brand of cooker, even if it is a high quality unit.  Ten years ago I recieved a gift of a beautiful Innova 8qt. stainless steel cooker. While it is a very nice unit, and has worked well for those years, I have found to my dismay that replacement parts are no longer available for that brand. The (Indonesian) manufacturer that made the Innova is no longer in business. Replacement sealing rings for Innova cookers are no longer made or available anywhere.  When the sealing ring on mine goes bad eventually: the cooker will become just a nice heavy duty saucepan. (needless to say, I am babying the seal and handling it very carefully....). I wish I had purchased spares for it when they were still available. I didn't realize they would become unavailable....

When selecting a cooker (or canner) I would consider availability of replacement parts. Maybe even go look up what parts are available before buying any particular pressure cooker. A used cooker may need parts, and be worthless if you cannot obtain them.

I would reccomend the Presto brand as one that seems to have replacement parts widely available, even for older, antique models of their brand. Replacement seals for the 6qt. Presto model I have come with 1 overpressure plug as well. I don't just change out that plug, instead saving it for if one should ever blow out.

Coming into the hard times which are upon us now, it could be crucial that you can get those parts for your cooker or canner/cooker unit.

It is probably a very wise idea, if you are choosing a new pressure cooker to buy now, to go  ahead and get a supply of spare parts along with it. A spare sealing ring or two, and any sort of "safety fuses" or overpressure plug that may blow out if the vent clogs up. Some newer models use the sealing ring itself as the safety fuse (it is designed to release pressure if it builds to excess).

oldhaus
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:07:07 AM

See what brand of parts (you do need parts) your local hardware store keep.  Make note of the model number too.

Every few years you need to get a replacement seal, (maybe a gage) and other things, depending on  your cooker.

But get the one you can get parts for, when you need them!

JLH

bimjell
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:56:32 AM

My wife bought a pressure cooker back  in 1985 when she was taking a Macrobotic cooking class.  It has taken me 25 years to find a pressure cooker that was as good as the one she bought. Well I found one that I find to be well constructed and durable 18/10 stainless steel. They are made in Spain. It is better than Presto, Fagor, Kuhn Rikon and all those other pieces of junk they sell for pressure cookers.  These Magefesa pressure cookers are so good we have bought three of them so far and may get one more.   

Have one of each : 6 quart, 8 quart, 12 quart      Want a 10 quart

What is it you ask!

Magefesa  Star R Stainless Steel - Fast Pressure Cooker       Sizes: 4 QT to 14 QT

Magefesa USA 

12800 NW 38 Avenue

Miami, FL   33054    USA

Toll Free:  (866) 643-7872

Phone:  (786) 594-3781

Fax:  (786) 594-3782

info@magefesausa.com 

http://www.magefesausa.com 

DrFood
#6 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 1:06:22 AM

I've been using a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker for ten years, and I love it.  I've had to replace a couple of things, but they were easy to find online, and I ordered a few and keep them for future use.

A relative saw my cooker and heard me rave about it and asked for one for Christmas.  Her husband balked at the price and bought some other brand.  It's o.k., it works, but it's not as easy to bring up to pressure and not as easy to keep at pressure.  End result is--I use my cooker frequently, she uses hers not so much.

I collect chicken bones and keep them in the freezer, along with the giblets (I always buy whole birds).  When I have enough, I fill the cooker, add whatever else I think will add to the flavor (carrot, celery, onion) and fill with water.  I'll start it on 9 (on my stove top) until it gets to the second ring, and then I can back off the heat all the way to 1.  The cooker can stay pressurized at this very low level of heat for hours--days, probably.  I will often let it go overnight--I trust the cooker that much.  When I pour out the broth, it is clear and delicious.  The bones are so soft they crumble in my fingers.

Actually, that's how I know I need to replace a seal (something I've only had to do a couple of times).  If the pressure cooker doesn't hold its pressure overnight on low heat, I replace the seals.

mmini
#7 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 1:06:22 AM

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a pressure cooker and would like advice on what brand to purchase. I have been reading up a little and it sounds like the Kuhn Rikon is the more expensive. It seems like its biggest advantage (at least to me) is that it doesn't take as much liquid to use and therefore takes less time to come up to pressure and also can preserve more nutrients that are usually lost to cooking. I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on that. Is it worth it to spend the extra money for these features? It sounds like many people are very happy with the Presto and Fagor brands which are both much cheaper than the Kuhn Rikon. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you,

Michelle