Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Off-the-gridders winter dilemma Options
Pat Miketinac
#1 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 3:26:13 AM

My comment was posted yesterday, but disappeared. Let's see if this sticks.

John Edward Mercier
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:54:16 PM

Forum looks better. But yeah still some posting issues.

jd
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:54:16 PM

Living off the grid means, amongst other things, being without employment.  Of course, you can always find a little work but regular jobs are hard to come by and pretty much impossible to do right by.  Just catching ferries and boating in the winter means 'not showing up'.  Add to that my rapidly encroaching years and our income has been seriously diminished.  

I don't care.  We have enough to eat.  We are happy and healthy.  I don't need the latest consumer crap.  And our 'stead' is adequately equipped.  Kinda. We are fine.  MUCH better than fine, actually.  More like 'perfect'.

But I do have a desire and I wanted to ask you guys for ideas.  In the winter, we usually go South (altho Mexico is getting pretty nutty around the Northern half) so we may not go much further South than New Mexico or thereabouts.  But I don't wanna buy an RV.  I want to either drive an RV down South for someone fed up with the snowbird chore or else at least get a house-sit somewhere charming. 

Yes, I know about the house-sitting websites.  But I thought I'd try MEN.  Anyone have any idea how to get a free motorhome to deliver South?  Anyone know a charming place in the Southern US where a house sit might be available? 

I don't really need specific gigs, just some ideas as to 'how to' find such things other than house-sit websites.