Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
New homestead Options
katydaly
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:18:58 PM

Alright, no response, let me rephrase my ???

Has anybody tried to landscape what was once all natural? Having a 1/4 acre in suburbia is no preparation for managing 22 acres. I do want a vegetable garden, and do hope to regain the health of the apple orchard, but the rest is just weedy and mostly wonderful. I would like to maintain whatever "naturalness" there is, but I am hoping to resolve some of the problems---like barbed wire or dead trees or masses of thorny brambles---with new plants.

Are there any plants you know of I should absolutely avoid?

What successes or failures have you had with "landscaping"?
skruzich
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:05:02 PM

Well, you are not going to really landscape 22 acres unless you have money to burn!
I would not put honeysuckle vines anywhere. I think there is a honeysuckle bush. As far as your barbed wire fences, Fix them back up, they will assist in keeping deer out. Note i said assist! Nothing save a 10'' high fence surrounding the entire place will keep deer out. The dogs will help. As far as the dogs are concerned, if they managed to get after the cows, expect to lose them cause the farmer will shoot them. Dead trees you cut up into firewood, or just pile up and burn. Apple tree orchards, you need to mow and keep grass and weeds down, prune them regularly. Determine whether those masses of thorny brambles are really in fact blackberry briars. If they are too thick, you can mow them down or burn them which will bring out new briars the next year and you will have to wait another year for berries. BUT you can keep them under control that way and take a wide mass of lets say 20'' and leave a 4'' wide row of briars, then a 4'' row of mowed area, 4''row of briars, ect ect ect. That will make it easier to pick.
Start with the acreage near the house and work out. Fix the barbed wire fences, and if necessary string hogwire at the bottom and a couple strands of barbed above the hogwire. that will help keep your dogs inside the fence line. Run a electric fence about 1'' off the ground and 1'' off the top of the fence post That will also help keep the dogs in as well as discourage deer. Make sure you buy the type of electric fence unit that will send a stiff enough charge down the wire and cut the grasses and weeds that touch it.

Don''t let the weeds and other growth get too high, otherwise you will end up with a major fire in the hottest part of summer. I would make it a point to bushhog the entire acreage every spring.
Hope that helps

katydaly
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:40:41 PM

Yes, that helps.

And no, I wasn''t planning to landscape the whole 22 acres, merely trying to deal with the problem areas, as I see them.

I will have the dogs onleash most of the time, because of the problems I have mentioned, but just in case they get loose, I don''t want their introduction to barbed wire to be a painful or deadly one. I was hoping to grow some brambly or viney things along the fence just as "insulation", for lack of a better word. Thus the bittersweet, raspberries and honeysuckle. Do you really think the honeysuckle is a terrible idea? (Actually, I do too, but am trying to convince my husband.)

I like your idea of checking out the brambly mess for blackberries, and especially maintaining them in 4'' rows. When do they normally set fruit so I can recognize them? In the spring?

And I also like your idea of stringing hogwire, or maybe cheap plastic fencing along the barbed wire to keep the dogs from committing suicide. I don''t even care about keeping the deer out, except that I don''t want to have to chase the dogs chasing the deer. I can''t run that fast!

Thank you!
katydaly
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:43:12 PM

PS--what''s a bushhog?
mckenzy_girl
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:58:35 PM

Sorry I didn''t see your posts before today.
We have 26 acres, and here''s what we do as for landscaping.

We have feild and woods. The field we have a farmer coe and mow the grass down then he gets to bale it and we get about 20 bales and he takes the rest. As for deer, they mainly stay out in the feild, they rarely ever come up by the house. However they do go by my garden ,so we put up deer fencing, and it keeps them and the chickens out of the garden.

The woods we just let nature take it course. We do harvest out dead trees, and use it for our summer bon fires. we do have wild raspberries out in the woods, and we do pick them, and use them, but we do nothing speical for them.

Most of our landscaping is done around the house. I did plant raspberries, blueberries, around my garden area. we also have apple trees, but they look pretty sorry. They need pruning badly. Last year, we had a bummper crop of apples! Best in 5 yrs.

I, personally, would get rid of all barbed wire. And would use a different type of livestock wire.

Last year, we did have to mow the tall weeds down,but this year we plan on burning the weeds ,before they get "tall".
I can''t see why you couldn''t plan the plans you posted.

Just two conments:
You posted that your mobile home was onced used as a "Meth Lab" I hope you have taken all precautions in getting the whole mobile cleaned and that there is no residue from the meth that was made there on counters,floor,ect.

And as for the fence that you said you think you own, you can remove it, and the farmer would just have to replace it on his property.

Hope this helps
mckenzygirl[:)]
skruzich
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:34:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by katydaly

Yes, that helps.I will have the dogs onleash most of the time, because of the problems I have mentioned, but just in case they get loose, I don''t want their introduction to barbed wire to be a painful or deadly one.

They will be ok with the barbed wire. they might get cut a couple times but thats about as bad as it will most likely get. Unelss you have constantina wire aroudn the place.

quote:
Thus the bittersweet, raspberries and honeysuckle. Do you really think the honeysuckle is a terrible idea? (Actually, I do too, but am trying to convince my husband.)

I hate honeysuckle with a passion. It takes over everything. PLUS you do not want vines on your fence line. Vines will destroy a fence.
Briars won''t stop the dogs, they go through them like they aren''t even there.

quote:
I like your idea of checking out the brambly mess for blackberries, and especially maintaining them in 4'' rows. When do they normally set fruit so I can recognize them? In the spring?

They are blooming right now here in Georgia. Different times for different zones. They usually ripen around late june down here.

quote:
And I also like your idea of stringing hogwire, or maybe cheap plastic fencing along the barbed wire to keep the dogs from committing suicide. I don''t even care about keeping the deer out, except that I don''t want to have to chase the dogs chasing the deer. I can''t run that fast!

I think the hogwire is cheaper than that plastic stuff. That plastic stuff won''t last more than a year or two. If your going to fence in, do it right with the hogwire, or if you can afford it, put up welded wire fence. Its about double the price of hogwire but stronger.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:35:36 PM

Oh in a 22 acre plot, your looking at around 4,000 linear feet of wire.
davisonh
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:28:15 AM

Katy,one thing I''ve learned about barbed wire,especially if its attached to trees and its kinda rusty...It tends to attract lightning,so at the end of the barbed wire run have hubby run an 8 foot piece of pipe in the ground and run a ground wire to it.I had to replace my service because of a lightning strike on a 65 foot pine tree here about 50 feet from my house.Pine tree was at the end of a rusty barbed wire run.
davisonh
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:33:09 AM

I have 10 acres of forest here,and I just let it do its thing other than cut dead trees for heating fuel and keep the small trees from getting in the way of my woods road.I cleam the streams of branches too..keeps flooding down.
davisonh
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:35:12 AM

A bushhog usually is a tractor PTO driven rear mower with 3 or 4 big mower blades,like the ones you see mowing football fields.They make push ones too..
katydaly
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:04:19 PM

Wow! Now that''s a lotta answers!

Thanks for all of your advice.

A few comments:

The meth lab. We found out from the previous owner the day AFTER we were in there cleaning out the trailer that a previous tenant was evicted by the police for having a meth lab in there. We had been pulling out all the old nasty carpeting, and finding what looked like laundry detergent in all the crevices and sliding wood door tracks. We are scouring the place as best we can when we go back at the end of the month. We already got rid of everything we could see.

The barbed wire fences. I would love to get rid of them, but it is not just a 22-acre square that we are talking about, it''s actually a Y-shaped property, so we are talking about a lot more than the 4,000 linear ft mentioned by skruzich. I will try to contact the dairy farmer before I just go pulling down the fence, even if it is on our property, don''t want his cows running loose. I also suspect that the fence is inside our property line and that he has been using our property to gain access to the creek. Not so sure how I feel about that yet, or if it is even true. We hope to get the gentleman who originally surveyed the property to come back and walk it with us to show us what we own, and how the fences are situated. As far as the lightening hazard, the fence doesn''t come anywhere near the trailer. We have 300'' of road frontage, and the fence does not follow along the road, just down the 2 sides.

I like the idea of having a farmer mow the "grass", bale it and take it with him. Will they still do that if it is weeds, not anything resembling grass? Something to check into... Since we are not planning to stay there year-round, it would be a good way to have the place look somewhat lived-in, or maintained, but I would also have to be careful about where I planted new stuff, so it wouldn''t get mowed.

Thanks for all the help. I don''t want to go up there and sound like a suburban fool. At least I don''t want my husband''s family members to laugh hysterically when we talk about our plans for the old meth lab property.

It''s funny that everyone knows everything about every property up there. A cousin was able to explain to us that the big heavy chain hanging from the pine tree held a hanging car engine for years, with the dead rusting car parked below it. They all know who lived there by name, who originally put the trailer there, everything. Here in suburbia, most people don''t even know their next door neighbors.
turtlehead
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2005 5:46:28 PM

KatyD,
I''m in suburbia, too, working on moving to a rural area. I don''t have any answers to your questions (other than don''t plant honeysuckle) but I can definitely relate to the difference between neighbors in the city and in the country. We were talking to a man who remembers Old Doc Wright who used to own the place, you know, before the Hinzman''s. Of course, Old Doc was a drinker and ended up losing his practice and the land, that was a real shame. One of his boys, Joe, lives over in Batesville and is doing pretty good with a mechanic shop, they say....

This was just "some guy" who lived in the area.

What a difference in culture! I love it. So much more personal and real. Around here all they notice is if you got a new SUV and what color it is.
Miss Martha
#13 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 2:31:03 AM

What''s important isn''t what color your new SUV is, but how many miles your truck has and still on the road! :)
katydaly
#14 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 3:52:45 PM

Down here nobody puts more than say 60k miles on a car. They get a 3-year lease, and trade up for a newer, bigger, better model. Only a choice few actually keep their cars until they die (the cars I mean, not the choice few). What I want to know is what all those suburbanites do with all those HUGE SUVs? Drive them to the Acme? What''s the point of owning a Hummer in NJ?

I think we all know the answer...we have to impress our neighbors with our disposable income.
Miss Martha
#15 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 5:51:16 PM

Katy,

I''m originally from NJ. I had to travel back a few months ago to where I grew up. My children hadn''t been there since they were babies. My son, 9, thought nothing of it. But my 10yo daughter! She was, unfortunately, quite impressed. Houses near each other, manicured lawns, beamers and jags, designer shopping, she thought it was paradise. Gosh, I hope she outgrows that idea quick!
katydaly
#16 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 6:12:23 PM

I could see a 10YO thinking Jersey was a great place. Actually, I grew up in Willingboro, which used to be Levittown, NJ. I was there from age 5 through 18, and thought it was the best place to be a kid. And that was classic suburbia!

It''s funny when we get older, different things appeal to us. Having had some good years in the suburbs, now I just want to get out.

I have never been competitive in any way, but I do have a small SUV, so I guess I caved into the pressure too! Actually I needed something bigger than my Mazda Protege to take my 2 big dogs on vacation with us. Now we''ll need it to bring them, and the 2 of us, and all kinds of stuff up to the s(system edited)y vacation home of our dreams in NY.

Aren''t you in NY now too? Whereabouts? My ex-meth lab is near Cooperstown.
katydaly
#17 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 6:15:13 PM

Why would they edit out swan-ky? I put the hyphen in there this time just so it would go through. Is that a bad word? Maybe if you take away the s and the y...

Go figure!
turtlehead
#18 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 7:15:36 PM

Ha! That''s a funny one to have edited out. I know that w@nker is a "bad word" so I guess part of swan-ky is, too. Another really funny one I''ve seen on here recently is wrist-watch, but it it edited out the part between wris- and -ch. Hilarious!

We''ve had big cars in our family, too. We had a couple of mini-vans (4 kids). Now we have a pickup truck with double cab (still a kid or two plus two huge dogs). If you''re lugging around kids or big dogs, you need some space. But, I gotta admit, I doubt all the SUV-drivers in the metro Atlanta area have kids and/or big dogs.

Katy, any chance you''ll get to live at the ex-meth lab one day?

By the way, I forgot my manners - welcome to the forums!
L Major Jr
#19 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 9:44:28 PM

I don’t have much to share on homesteads and I am on the wrong side of the country to share general living information but I too want to welcome you to the forum katy.
Miss Martha
#20 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 9:52:00 PM

Oh, yes, Welcome to the forums!

I grew up in NW Bergen County. Now I''m in the Upper Deleware Valley of NY. I''m not sure where Cooperstown is. Sorry, not a big baseball fan. :)

I couldn''t wait to get out of the suburbs, but I have to say I drive a SUV, my dd shops at Limited2, etc. I hate going to the mall though. I spent my youth there and that was enough.