Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

just starting out Options
davisonh
#1 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 12:53:58 AM

Hi jen,I guess the best advice I can give pertaining to living somewhat simply are:Use a lot of common sense,and give back what you take.There.I said it.Done.Not bad for a druidian pagan if one needs to label me.Oh and be very able to laugh at yourself when you screw up,because you will.Trust me you've gotten further on the rat-race side of life than I by completing college in AG so you are ahead of the game in a few respects;just be confident that you're doing the right thing.I did it because I was losing who I was in the masses,I was not a happy camper,I was getting nothing out of my life except existence.I found what I was looking for and so will you.Spend a lot of time alone in the woods,feel the vibes,the life around you,then you'll know you did the right thing.About all I can tell you.

MC
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2010 5:58:12 AM

Don't quit 'cause you get discouraged.  And don't expect yourself to not ever screw up. 

Other than that, I don't have any pearls.  I don't have any wisdom.  I've only been at this for a couple of years, and I'm on the "small steps plan."  Very frustrated about it (which you'll hear more than you want about if you hang around here) but can't be helped by any reasonable means. 

I started this thing out of spiritual calling.  I figured I considered myself paganish, or a "witch," or whatever.  And that meant I'd better start doing a little more in the way of stewardship than recycling my plastic and buying greenwashed cleaning products at WalMart. 

Just remember, when you're up to your hips in your own mucking-up, I'm right there with you.  I make a pretty comedic picture dragging 3 kids under 10 and a very reluctant spouse. 

jen
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:49:08 AM

thanks for the feedback! it's nice to know that i am not alone! of course i am worried about screwing up huge but what's the worst that can happen? sell the farm  and move to an aprtment style condo downtown with a few plants.... it's funny how when you become "aware" you can't go back to just being the ignorant person you were- sometimes that kind of pisses me off!

i told my spouse when we met what i wanted for my future- it's been 13 years and i'm fed up waiting- he said he was keen at some point but my future will have come and gone soon if it hasn't already....

tough decisions- again, thanks for the thoughts from you who are actually living it

Pat Miketinac
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:14:50 AM

jen, there is great satisfaction in learning to do as many things as possible for yourself. All of the contractors and tradesmen who built my house still live in it (me), which simplifies maintenance and repairs. I also try to buy or barter for used and salvaged items to reduce the need for cash. My car is 42 years old. I moved to the country in 1980, still not fully self sufficient, but at least I have been completely debt free since 1980. MEN is a great resource, type a topic in the search field at the top of this page to learn more.

John Stiles
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:34:50 PM

Hi, Watch a few episodes of Green Acres. Try not to lose body parts, as farming takes things. But mostly watch out for accumulation of junk. This is the worst and can cost you big big big money to dispose of. To reiterate: When the friends says "can I park my truck for the winter" say no, when family says "can I empty my truck in your back lot" say no, when neighbors say "do you want a refrigerator" say no. Even organic materials have invasive species.

I've not said no to all this in my 50 years with my piece of peace and may have really caused some problems.

then, John

jd
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:07:35 AM

I know very little about all this even tho I have been living remote for over 6 years now.  The reason I say I know very little is because every day I am learning new things!  Ergo, I know little and there is so much more to get to.  Having said that, there is no greater resource than the MEN members, the OOMs and the Librum. 

But I do know this: if you think it is 'going to be a fight', it will be.  Try shifting to enjoying this change.  I never thought that choosing to live as I please, living free of most others and setting my own schedule for work and learning would ever be a fight.  And it never was.  In fact, whenever I needed something, it seemed to just 'come along' at the right time. Serendipity rules!  Sally and I knew we 'couldn't always get what we want',  but we began to have faith that 'íf you try real hard, you'll get what you need.'  And, with good neighbours, the MEN forums and the Librum, I can guarantee that. You will be well advised and supported.  No fighting necessary.  But learning every day is mandatory. 

jen
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:07:35 AM

Hello all! i am a small town dweller about to make the move! i'm nervous! I went to college for agriculture so i'm not a complete novice but it was 20 years ago and things have changed, i've forgotten and i probably know just enough to be scared about how much i don't know!    So i'm just looking for any advice, kindred spirits, encouragement that any of you have to offer. It will probably be a big fight for me to live the way i want but i've felt that i need to do this since before i really knew what living like this meant so it's become more of a fight to stay in a lifestyle that is killing me, and a fight i'm losing at that. i don't feel i have a choice spiritually or physically but to try and live as low impact as possible in tune with my environment. i know that MEN's is a very practical approach (which i appreciate!) but there is a very spiritual side for me also and most of the people i know that share my spiritual views live in apartments downtown and i don't know if most of the contributors to this site have the spiritual conviction or homestead mainly out of physical responsibility to our planet. i guess i would like to know if there is anyone out there like me and if anyone would be so kind as to offer up any jewels of wisdom to a "newbie"! Thanks in advance!

Jen