Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

4 Pages «<234
Good Ideas? Options
jd
#61 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:34:06 PM

MC...............I just re-read the whole thread and noticed that you made an overture or two about joining a community without getting much of a response.  Sorry.  Got all caught up in my own stuff.  But, if you are interested, say it again.  Be more clear.  Do you want out of where you are or want in to someplace else?  Or just looking to learn - like me? 

'Course, we are in Canada and that may not be suitable for you but, if it is information about being here or somewhere else in the Great White North that you want, just ask.

davisonh
#62 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:44:45 AM

Sorry jd,did'nt realize I had my screen up close,did'nt see that we;ve gotten to 2 pages,lol.(duh)But anyways,I do believe I have the idea you seek.In the manufacturing/construction world most places have an area called a 'tool crib'(least in my vocational school thats what it is)or 'job box' or 'Greenlee box' and you have your implements of construction/destruction up on the wall or in a area of the box/closet.A person is tasked with a signout sheet and dated when the tool was taken and by whom.Every person is given a set of brass tags of the same amount of tools in the crib.Every tag has a number.Number corresponds to the person who took the tool and is hung up on the wall where the missing tool is.So if jd(brass tag #43)took the 1/2" Milwaukee hammer drill to bash some boulders up we know to go to his house and get it back.Now basically the system works so long as everyone trusts one another to keep the system in order;on an island thats not too hard but I'm sure presents a few unique problems..

jd
#63 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 8:16:18 PM

Great!  That'll work.  An improvement might be to limit the issue to two or three tags per person so that no one can take all the tools at one time but that is not likely to happen.......

Currently sitting in an airport awaiting departure to Hong Kong.  Off to teach English.  Woo hoo!  Kids are always fun.  Then, a few months later, back home to the homestead and remote living.  Pretty wild........Hong Kong and the multitudes on the one hand, ravens and killer whales on the other.  

dc

MC
#64 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:11:33 PM

Could you have a sign-out sheet???  If you don't bring it back, you don't take anything else out until it's returned or replaced.  Maybe a nominal fee to cover things like new chains???How about defining how things are to be taken care of???  "This is how you sharpen a chain.  Please do so before you bring the saw back."  "Wipe off the cement/mud/whatever else."  You can tell the difference, I think, between someone making a good faith effort but not understanding what needs to be done and someone being slovenly.  Make it clear that, if you chronically mess stuff up, you won't be allowed to participate.

I wonder if "tool librarian" could be a rotating job...

As for joining a community---  Oh, good god.  My desire for that one runs the gamut from lukewarm but realizing it's impractical in my situation to blindingly burning. 

It's a post of its own and does not belong here.  I'll work on that.   

jd
#65 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:11:33 PM

Ranting and raving and tearing your hair out is not a constructive, positive response to something that is - as JEM says - as much relative as it is real.  In other words, there are some real problems but a lot of the numbers are falling 'together' so they are relatively the same.  In other words, it isn't as bad as it sounds.
But it is bad. 
So, the real question is:  if the other team fumbles the ball, what do you do?  Stand around and call them fools for being clumsy?  Or jump on the ball!?
To be honest, I have no idea how to jump on the ball that has been fumbled.  The world economic ball is huge and I can't get a handle on it.  But I have some grip on local things.  I can do 'stuff'.  Of course, all the MEN readers will chant the mantra of grow a garden and I agree.  And most of us are handy enough to get in the wood for our stoves and even generate our own electricity.  The basics are our forte'.  But what about other things?  What about bullets, dog food?  Things that don't readily occur to you when you are worried about the End of Days?
I thought that gold and silver might be a hedge of sorts but it doesn't seem that way.  Not yet.  So, I am thinking of buying bullets.  No, NOT to shoot people.....................but to use as 'barter items'. 
We are also going to fish more, harvest more and, of course 'stock up' on things (like toilet paper).
Anyone got any good ideas?