Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

33 Pages «<2728293031>»
Place to stay... help with work... Tok, Alaska Options
nantinkir
#561 Posted : Monday, February 05, 2007 8:16:39 PM

Teniah, I will try to get something going with pictures so you will know what to expect when you get here. We have a few other people writing about coming too. This is exciting. All new friends.

crownlady, Thanks for the kind words. Sugar is my delight and I do truly love her lots. Mark is crazy about her too. We are a strange and happy family. lol.

davisonh, Jes, lots of moose. The difference being about four hundred pounds more. Alaskan moose are huge. I like the words with you.

miabee, You are most welcome to have my recipes, however, it''s kind of a pour and shake. No measureing. When you are ready just give me a good ahead! How goes it with you and yours??

A while back I took Sugar to the Podiatrist. She has a slight turning in of her right foot. So does her mom, and so did her grandfather. He said that primarily the cause is because of genetics. He said it wasn’t really a disorder and that I shouldn’t worry about.
I figured that maybe Ballet would help to turn it out.
She absolutely loved her lesson. This was actually a request from her several times after seeing Angelina Ballerina. Ok. We went. Hopefully she will want to continue with it.
Complaint.
The placement of several people in a room, some sick, usually means that some of the healthy ones will follow with the cause of the illness and catch it. I recognized that the teacher was clearly depicting cold symptoms. Several of the children were quite pale.
Yesterday Sugar started to have a running nose and later on in the day became very ill and vomited several times.
Now, the head start warns not to send sick children to school. I think that the existence of this rule is great. Why not use this same rule with other gatherings. I must admit to being a little peeved.
She seems to be bouncing back fast fortunately.

Thinking that I wanted to be taking pictures of her first day of ballet lessons I brought the camera. You saw how lucky it was to describe a day with pictures. It was great to have the camera. As always there were many things that we see all the time but don’t record. Now it was lucky to be able to show ‘just another day in Tok, Alaska.’ I will start bringing the camera with me continuously from now on. In another month or two the bear will be leaving the sleepy caves and heading out with the young. Maybe I will be able to catch one or two on camera. It’s worth a try.

I am still trying to form some semblance of order here and am moving all parts of the things most especially important to us. It is hard. I am finding things I hardly recognize. Some new from Christmas, some old, some given by friends, some to bad to be able to distinguish. I am an incompetent housekeeper. The public ought to be protected from me. Either by examining this place before entering or being wise enough to practice calling before coming. I am the qualification of a clutter-er. I might not be so bad but space is limited . I need a professional maid to come and access. I suffer some mighty case of disorder.

Sometimes I feel like describing the late happenings here and sometimes I take the long journey. Sometimes I am skilled with this performance and sometimes I wonder what my own words mean.
Every turn of every day is so different. We have gone from three hours a day of light to about nine in such a short span. Time rolls so slowly here in the winters but as soon as we start to get to the longer days of summer beginnings it all starts to happen. All the sleeping creatures and people start to move. Me too. I get a respectable amount of energy. Now I am chomping at the bit to go fishing, start the ceilings, close them in, lay the floors over the plywood, etc. again.

The predators are coming back again too. I reserve my thoughts on this. We didn’t sight any wolves this winter. I have seen lots of sheep, caribou, and plenty of moose now that the hunt for them is over. Drat.
Their numbers probably increased in a big way this winter with it being so warm.

We are all getting pumped up for our endless summer and all of its new discoveries. The respectable amount of daylight begins all the changes and makes it so easy to feel energetic. I am getting that feeling already.
Teniah
#562 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:22:33 PM

So everyone can know - Nantinki is NOT a hazard to the public! haha.....I was witness and she is far from being a "incompetent housekeeper"! I just wanted to set the record straight....

Nantinki, don''t worry, you will get it all settled and organized before long. I know you like everything to be "just so", but it will all come together and you will have the place "spic and span" in no time!!

So sorry to hear that Sugar has been sick. =( Poor baby..it is a bummer that they don''t protect against that. But, I guess it will help build up her immune system to be exposed to it on some level? Either way, I''m glad she is enjoying ballet. It''s wonderful for their posture as well as overall wellbeing....Hopefully you can keep her inspired!

Do keep posting pictures when you have the chance. I miss it so much!!! - Has anyone heard from Erin? I wonder how her new job is going.....What a REAL adventure that will be....
miabee
#563 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:50:23 PM

The pictures are great Nantinki! The lynx is so beautiful. I never actually saw one in the wild when we were there. Maybe one day. I''ll let you know when I''m ready to tackle the jerky project. It sounds so great I wish I had some already made. [:)] Shaun (husband) was just offered a job 30 minutes closer to home and it''s also a promotion, yea! We still dream of coming back to Alaska one day. You just never know!
Teniah
#564 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:41:01 PM

Congrats, Miabee, on your husbands promotion/new job! That''s wonderful!!! What great news!
spiritwarrior
#565 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:23:52 PM

Wonderful pictures Nan!I hope Sugar gets well fast.She is growing up so fast.I think she will make many friends and have lots of fun in her dance classes.I am so happy that Teniah will be a neighbor for you.I enjoyed reading of the new paths of friendship truely heart warming!Just reading made me have jerky fever! Lol! Spirit
nantinkir
#566 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:51:21 PM

Thanks to both of you, Teniah and spiritwarrior, for the kind words.[:D]

miabee, any time that you are ready I will walk you through the Jerky, lol.[;)]

I am pleased enought! about the pictures. It got me to thinking, maybe we can do that on the forums for everyone to use. I am trying to get a good ahead with Heidi for a new catagory. Time will tell. She is supposed to get back to me in a week or two after the deadline for the mag. I hope it''s a go![:0]

Sugar went to school today. She feels better. When she got home she had a package from the post here. It was things left over form Christmas and a new dress for Valentines Day from Mark’s mother. She didn’t recognize the presents and thought them new. That worked for me. It was fun to see her so excited with them again.

The campaign for doing housework fell on my shoulders only. I really should hire someone to do Mark’s share and the send him the bill. He just thinks that it will do itself. Never in the entire time we have lived here does he lift a finger to help. Never does he consider or reconsider and make the right decision to partake. He is so locked down when it comes to fairness. Ggrrrrr. Making me use crude language to myself. [xx(]

Some one of those TV, newspaper, radio, or whatever people wrote to me again. They want me to describe my opinions about living here and they want to place my expressions and opinions to the public. I wonder how they would explain my crude language which I have decided to use again. Playing with words knowing I will have to stop when Lent comes. I am vulgar with words when forced to bear more than I care to. I wonder how they would bleep me out when I try to describe the inflammatory issues. Funny they offer quite a stipend but I think I will pass. Especially now that I have smacked my thumb with the hammer for the third time again.[:(!] Lol. Yes, I think I’ll pass. What’s more, can’t they read???? [?]

Repeatedly I am making a list of things that position themselves in order of need. I am coming up with so many fun chores. The living room ceilings will be the first need do thing. Then to tile the kitchen floor to the best of my ability. These are the things that I know how to do the best. All others will have to wait for me to read the descriptions of the Mother. I don’t want to make an embarrassment of this place.

I am waiting for the book store to get the Heritage Seeds in that they promised.
This summers episode will reveal how well I prepared the gardens and if I can get a productive crop going. Last year had a variety of issues. All the little stones and things left in the soil that had to be removed. I took a wheelbarrow of rocks and things out last year but they will pop up with the thaw. Most places they always do anyway.

Our wood is lasting so well because of the terribly warm winter. Our lackluster gathering for this was well behind our needs, and we bought some from Jessie. About ¼ of what we figured we would need but it not only lasts but there is still plenty. Yesterday it was a mild 28 degrees. Today it is already 10 above. All the old timers are panicking. They appear to be of the same beliefs’ as the gloom, doom, and despair people. IIiieeeee yyyiiiiiii yyyiiiil it’s always something. I appreciate the warmth but would rather be describing a nice cold to really cold winter. I do like them more.

With no surprise Sugar is waiting for the next ballet lesson. It had such a nice impact on her. She bolstered her needs to behave quite quickly [:p] when I said "we shall see if you get to go. It depends on whether or not you are a good girl." Fun to have things to blackmail her with. She really wants these lessons. We shall see how talented she becomes. I hope I don’t become one of those lunatic grandmothers that reflect stories over and over of all her abilities and competence with too much bragging.[|)][;)]

The reports around here are not that sensational of a story lately. There isn’t much to represent these days. I went to my writers’ workshop two nights ago, it was fun, and I have been told that I must show my competence of writing by writing something and sending it to the local paper for publishing. Geez, if they don’t print it I am in trouble. Trouble is that there isn’t much sensational news happening here. My visit with Teniah is about all what has happened and I find that a visit from someone will leave a boring impression by the reading public. Surely someone will come up with something for me anyway.

I have accepted the fact that winters I will get fat and summers I will dump about 30 pounds. That what has happened so far? My attempts to not produce home made bread, pies, and other treats at the bequest of my two companions can’t go unwarranted. Besides, I like to bake.[}:)]

Well that’s the chronology of things happening here for the last couple of days.[:)]

brownbear
#567 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:57:33 PM

Nantinkir, you are so funny! I love the way you describe things. Sugar is so fortunate to have a grandmother like you. You are instilling so many wonderful memories for her that she will never forget, and I''m sure she will always remember you as one of the most important people in her life! I have sat here and pondered over asking this dumb question for several days now, but I will ask it anyway...it''s bugging me. Nantinkir, what is a pole barn? And why is the cat strung up there? I''m thinking I probably don''t want to know the answer to that one, but go ahead...I can handle it! In my imagination I''m thinking a pole barn must be where they string up dead animals! During the past month we have had 3 people come in to camp from Alaska. I tell them about your wonderful stories. They all knew where Tok was and they all said how beautiful it is. I will be so glad to leave Arizona. I can''t wait to get back to Washington and the trees and the beauty. We had magpies when we lived in eastern Washington. Love those birds. They used to play tag with our dog. They are smart.That would be fun for everyone to post their pictures. I could post my best picture of the gravel parking lot I''m sitting in! Then that would make everyone feel how lucky they are! This is our first campground host job. I thought it would be a little more exciting than this! We are like the "Maytag washer man", waiting for people to come in. Everytime a motor home drives up we get all excited. We check them in and John (my husband) gives them the grand tour, (hot tub, indoor pool, workout room, etc.) and then we sit there till the next one comes in. Talk about gaining weight! I''ve gained probably 20 pounds since we moved into this motor home because I like to cook so much. You would think I would cook less living in a motor home! I kinda got scared about the workout room. 3 weeks ago, John decided to do 4 miles per hour on the treadmill and then used some of the other machines. He had a heart attack a few hours later and had to be flown by helicopter to Phoenix! He spent 4 days in the hospital. So now neither one of us goes near it! That''s quite the extreme I guess. Well, I''ve gabbed enough. Can''t wait to hear about the pole barn and what happened to the cat! If I''ve given everyone a good laugh, that''s ok. It''s on me!!lol
nantinkir
#568 Posted : Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:49:07 PM

[:D]Brownbear,
I am fortunate to have Sugar too. She is keeping my body moving in ways that I would never do.[;)]
This is a Pole Barn [;)]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/nantinki/polebarn.jpg[/IMG]

The cat is hanging in the barn because it is going to get its hide removed. It was a road kill that someone gave to the teacher’s husband. The hide is worth about three hundred. Because the cat is frozen there is no hurry to do the deed.
I have lynx trim on my parka.
About leaving Arizona. It is a beautiful state and the desert is gorgeous but the weather is much to hot for me.
Aren’t those magpies funny? Around here they are so tame. It’s fun to watch them.
You will do well to get back to Washington State. My granddaughter Cisawni was born in Puyallup at the Indian hospital. We were staying on the reservation while waiting for our ship to get refitted. She was born in January about one week after I left to go up the Inland Passage and on my way back to the Bering Sea where I worked.
I’m sorry about your friend having a heart attack. He must have really over done it. It’s better at our ages to walk some everyday.
Its fun to give people a good laugh, don’t worry about it. It keeps the mind and heart healthy.

We haven’t had any good Aurora activities lately but I read that they are over La Ronge Sk. Canada frequently now. They are supposed to become much higher this year. It seems like eternity to wait for them. I have seen so many of these beautiful dancers in the sky that I am awaiting them anxiously.
I also heard that there were some faint glows in Homer, AK so I feel that they may be starting. Here is hoping. Those wave movements are addictive![:I]

The fur rondy and Iditarod are going to be starting soon. Mark hasn’t decided if he wants too go just yet. We were there in Anchorage last year and loved it as always but don’t know if we want to bare the burden of the expense. I am wondering if Erin will still be in there training for the observer job or if she will be headed out to sea. If she is going to be then I might go.

I have been thinking of so many things to do lately. Crazy with thoughts about building this and that. I would like to start on many outside projects soon as the snow is going. One thing I am puzzled about is whether or not I want to construct a cordwood cabin. Normally I might not but I hear that they are a resourceful way to build cheaply. Logs are near free here too but they are hard to handle when working alone. From what I hear the cordwood building are very efficient. Since money is always a major setback when thinking of doing new things that takes considerable thought.
Supposedly the wood is pieces similar to firewood. The thermal mass would be good. It is supposed to be put together with masonry mortar which cements the logs together. I am not sure about the consistency of cement so I will need some teachings on that. I guess it requires a post and beam structure and then just a filling of the cordwood which doesn’t sound too technical but when I get to the top I am wondering how to stuff the pieces in to the last spaces. It seems to me that it would be similar to making a jigsaw puzzle? I am sure it would look rustic and that is what I would like. Somehow I feel that it might match this place too. It would go adjacent to the other sheds; we have many and would be used for company. I keep thinking that I might try it. If it looks to ugly then I can always burn it and use the cement for something. I do believe in green home building.
I am going to look for a book on how to do that.

We need to start a book exchange on the forum someday. Right now I am trying for the photograph category so I don’t want to ask for to much or to get it to muddled. Why be a greedy?[|)][?]

There is an abandoned underground house in a cut out not far from here. It has been abandoned for about thirty years or so they say. Anyway it is still in unexpectedly great shape. I think when we build the root cellar I will be an opportunist and copy some of the essential things present in that building. They used railroad ties too. Maybe I will be able to find some somewhere.

Most of the cabins and houses in this area have wood foundations directly placed on the ground. Mine does. It seems strange but they are just fine. The reason I believe is because of the fact that we are on an old dried up river bed and the soil here contains so much gravel. This cabin is over sixty years old I think and the foundation is just fine. Supposedly it was built in the forties and the people that build it just passed away, sold it to someone that only owned it for nine months and then I purchased it from them. Anyway a good evaluation by the realtor and it was in good shape. It passed the earthquake that hit here in 2003 too. Such a cabin as I have! My pride and joy. Its easy to love it here. [:p]

miabee
#569 Posted : Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:50:13 PM

Nantinki, How exciting!! Green building!!!! On my list of things I want to do. It''s a long list, hehe. Cordwood masonry, strawbale, cob... they are all so cool. Have you seen this website? http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com/Cordwood.html
I love going to the different sites and looking at all the pictures. I had checked out a really nice book that had examples of alot of the green building techniques and actual basic directions. I''ll see if I can figure out what the title was. I know on MEN books list they have several. How fun!
Jerngen
#570 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:02:32 AM

I definitely recommend the site the previous poster mentioned. Rob Roy is the proprietor of that site and has MANY years of experience with the subject. I currently own his book "Timber framing for the rest of us" and am hoping to get his Cordwood Masonry book for my b-day in a couple weeks. Definitely a building process we are interested in! :)
As you said, we would build a post & beam frame (timber framing) and infill with cordwood. There are workshops available just over the border from us in Wisconsin and I am checking into the feasibility of my attending one of them.
Jerngen
#571 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:04:39 AM

Just curious..... what are the zoning regulations in the Tok area or are there not any? What about property taxes?
dirtpig67
#572 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:26:12 AM

Zoning regulations - none

Property taxes - none

Both are two factors that influenced me and Teniah (I am Teniah''s husband still stuck over in Korea) to move there (especially over other areas of AK). Those factors along with the scenery, people that live there, lack of people who live there, hunting, fishing, midnight-sun summers, auroras, rural AK lifestyle, cheap land and real estate, remoteness, endless boreal forests, towering mountains, wildlife, fauna, and the freedom to finally live as we choose.

Oh, and according to Teniah they make a pretty good burger at Fast Eddy''s.

brownbear
#573 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 11:30:55 AM

Nantinkir, thank you for bringing me up to date about the pole barn. I have always thought I would like to live in Alaska because I love the cold so much, but from reading your stories of survival, I would have a lot to learn. Your cabin has certainly stood the test of time and I''m sure you will have many years of enjoyment.
Anyone out there....how do you put the emotions into your post? I''m far behind everyone else at this! Crownlady, did you ever get to look at Teniah''s pictures on the Kodak website?
nantinkir
#574 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 6:25:32 PM

dirtpig67,
Hey! Hello there buddy! I won''t blow your cover but you should. Lots of people here are wondering about you. Thanks for the help.

Jerngen,
[:D][8D][8D]
Land here is very affordable. The price is right. You should go to the Alaska dept of natural resources or later on I will look up the site and post it. There seems to be lots of state land that is up for sale right here in Tok too. Because Tok is not a town, is in a no name borough and is unincorporated it must be that way. We have no Taxes of any kind, not any. No city, borough taxes, or building codes. Likewise there are no streetlights, sidewalks, city water or sewer. Tok has the best water in the state but if you have water it’s because you put in your own well. There is a power company, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will have it. Better be somewhere close to a line. There is telephone service and,,,,, I guess kicking and screaming, Tok entered the internet craze in the end of the 1999 era.[:0]

There is always a ton of things to do here though. It is a boomtown in the summer and everyone has lots of work because of the tourists. They must go through Tok to get anywhere in the state. Winters have no industry. The local bank is in the grocery store. Hunting is super. There is an abundance of fishing too.
The moose are starting to come into our yard every night now. They are making a short cut to the woods, which are right there. Almost everyone here gets his or her own meat.
Most of this is a quote from Donna Blassor-Bernhardts'' Winter Cabin site. Go there too. She covers lots of things.
2/3''rds of this state is in a no name borough. It starts around Valdez and winds its way up on the east side of Fairbanks then west across to the ocean. From there it is free all the way to Barrow.
Interesting too is the fact that the same amount of land has little or no policing.
The cities are a different story. Some have city tax, borough tax, police everywhere, sales tax, room and meals taxes, and zoning nightmares.
Our electric bills are really high compared to other places but then if you remove the sewer, water, garbage, and tax it doesn''t figure. If you''re conservative you won''t notice the difference.
I hope that this is a help.
nantinkir
#575 Posted : Saturday, February 10, 2007 6:43:34 PM

brownbear,[:)]
Just above the square that says Submit Reply, in blue, click on the ''Reply to Topic''.[8)]
You would do just fine here. Most do. Usually one will love it anyway and the other will be a suffering martyr. Lol When this happens the other makes to one that ‘loves it here’ leave. It’s a shame.
You are most welcome about the pole barn thing. There are many varities of them. Many have no sides at all. Just a pole frame and a roof. That’s the standard here.[^]

Miabee, great minds think alike……. Lol. Thanks for the link.
[^][^][^] That''s green, green, green.

[:0]
Spirit! Finally, geez woman, I was getting worried again. [:(] Was going to post one of those “has anyone seen …….. “ but you made it here first. I was very close…… [xx(]
Like you, I have been right out straight again. So many things to do with so little free time to do them. Soon I must take Sugar to the ballet lesson. Then I will order her a leotard so she doesn’t have to borrow. Being so far from Fairbanks it takes many needs before I make the drive. This doesn’t count. Lol. But she is worth it. I just waited to make sure she was going to like it. Is everything good with you and your health? Drop me a line and fill me in? Please.[;)]

J @ G. [:D]! A huge and great big thanks. It does make it so much easier. Welcome to this Tok thing![;)]
Jerngen
#576 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:39:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nantinkir

Most of this is a quote from Donna Blassor-Bernhardts'' Winter Cabin site. Go there too. She covers lots of things.

I''ve tried googling her site and it keeps saying the site is no longer used? Could you share the e-address you use to get there? Thank you [:)]
Another thank you for the additional info you have shared!

Jerngen
#577 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:47:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dirtpig67

Zoning regulations - none

Property taxes - none

Both are two factors that influenced me and Teniah (I am Teniah''s husband still stuck over in Korea) to move there (especially over other areas of AK). Those factors along with the scenery, people that live there, lack of people who live there, hunting, fishing, midnight-sun summers, auroras, rural AK lifestyle, cheap land and real estate, remoteness, endless boreal forests, towering mountains, wildlife, fauna, and the freedom to finally live as we choose.

Oh, and according to Teniah they make a pretty good burger at Fast Eddy''s.

You have just described heaven on earth in my/our opinion! [:D] We are planning on moving to Alaska ourselves either this late summer or next spring and are seriously considering the Tok area. My wife is cracking her whip for me to find a way to make it happen this summer! [:)]
nantinkir
#578 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:56:26 AM

crownlady
#579 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:10:06 PM

Gosh Kiddo you are going to have the whole MEN Forum living in Alaska.
miabee
#580 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2007 2:25:08 PM

Here is another link. http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/cordwood.htm
Two thirds of the way down is a bit about the book I mentioned before. It''s the last book they list. It was a fun read.