Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

33 Pages <1234>»
Place to stay... help with work... Tok, Alaska Options
nantinkir
#21 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2005 2:51:00 PM

Hello All,
We were about to leave Albuquerque in a day or two but now I am not sure of what we should do. Maybe gas will go down if we wait a little while.
I am so anxious to get to my cabin in the wilderness but may have learned a little lesson here.
I believe that I will concentrate on tools that are strictly used by hand.
Getting back to the wild is looking more each day as if it will really be.....
getting back to the wild.
Nantinki and Sugar
gabby
#22 Posted : Friday, September 02, 2005 11:02:45 PM

Don''t count on the gas prices going down, at least not anytime soon. To be honest, it looks like they are going to keep on rising. It is sad, and I feel really bad for you to be traveling so far during this time. Good luck!!!!
nantinkir
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:04:32 AM

Hi from sunny NM,
We leave here tomorrow for the second 3rd of our trip. This section has not been without some surprises. As you all know, long before the Europeans found it, complex communities were living in this river valley. (Albuquerque.). Although in reality, the people have become very sophisticated and developed their existing communities, they still have put down roots that will probably not disappear for another millennium.
I love to go as far back into the reservations as is possible and visit my friends in the Pueblo’s. The gardens are mammoth, with chili, corn, and other more notable vegetables. Some of the corn is almost 15ft high.
I tried to be conservative with my purchases but it isn’t easy. I loaded up on so many of the things that are common here that I had to ship most of it up to Tok. I bought chili, tamales, beans, colorful pottery, and some clothes for Sugar, and yes, one of those off the shoulder dresses that we all know about. The flea markets, and the swap meets, yard sales are so wonderful. The prices are unreal.
We are leaving 4 days before the state fair starts and I am glad for that. It would be an expense I can no longer afford, and having been to the NM state fair before I guess it’s a good thing to do. Miss it.
As I stumbled around doing things I did manage to check out one very important way of making a fence that is very solid and probably almost bear proof. Taking 4 inch metal pipe and welding it together to make frames, then adding the toughest fencing one can afford is so much cheaper that doing an anchor fence.
I really need to have a fence or Sugar will not be able to play outside in the summers. This was such enlightenment. This part of the trip will care of it’s own expenses because I will save so much when building. I saw so many other things too.
The communities here especially the ones living next to the river valley are doing so many things that are earth friendly. I wish I had taken some pictures. Solar power is abundant, a few small windmills, wood stoves, etc.

By the time I get to Billings I will be a wounded and enraged person again. The cost of gas is already so ridiculous. For the most part it is way over 3.00 everywhere and I haven’t even gotten to the bad places yet.
Well, our next stop is coming up, Denver here we come tomorrow, then Billings, MT on Monday. Next will be Tok by Thursday because I need to be there before Sept 15th to beat the studded tires or four wheel drive laws.
Hopefully I will be able to get to a computer again soon.
Nantinki and Sugar on the road again.
emulkahi1
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:11:32 AM

Well, Nantinki--

Jim (hubby) is on the road down in WY, and he said the lowest octane gas (85.5, which is what we use...all we can AFFORD to use!) is $2.79. While that isn''t great, it is better than the $3+ you mentioned in your post! Hopefully those prices will come down for you a bit as you travel north! Safe travels!!

Erin
nantinkir
#25 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2005 2:17:30 PM

We are in Billings MT.
The drive from Albuquerque was grueling. The wind blew our little Merc Topaz all over the place and all I did was hang on to the wheel with an iron grip. The truckers got me white knuckled. They come too close when passing.
The drive is beautiful, all the high plains flowing with the tall grasses, looks like a welcome wave.
I am at the following telephone number: 406-248-8842. Super 8 just off the highway.
Nantinki and Sugar, resting until Monday. Leaving at noon to meet Mark at Costco then on up the Alcan to our new old Log Cabin.
crownlady
#26 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2005 3:20:01 PM

Nantikir I found you here. I knew you had a post where you were Journaling your trip.

I shall follow and look forward to your posts and adventures.

nantinkir
#27 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2005 4:27:26 PM

http://www.ruralalaskarealestate.com/house.html
The above is where I found my cabin. I wanted to live in Tok after having lived in Anchorage, Eagle River, and Dillingham.
The weather is the absolute coldest in the state. Whatever, if it''s under zero, it''s under zero. Just keep the wood fires burning.
I will send more information later. Sugar has ants in her pants so I am taking her to the Billings Zoo.
Nantinki
emulkahi1
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:03:14 PM

Nantinki--

You and Sugar have my sympathies...Trying to drive thru that wind. It seems to be blowing in the fall weather, as we have a beautiful (windy), sunny fall day out there right now. Jim probably drove right by you on his way home from WY yesterday, and he bemoaned the blustery gusts he had to weather as well.

I hope that tomorrow brings a calmer day for the next leg of your journey. You are getting closer!!

Erin
meghandmama
#29 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2005 3:49:26 AM

would love to talk more with you about living/helping with you in alaska...where is tok alaska. tell me more.
nantinkir
#30 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2005 3:28:25 PM

Meghandmama and all, HI, and ERIN!!!!
I am pulling out this morning, going to meet Mark, and will be out of touch with the net for a week. Just can''t wait. Geez, I hope it isn''t to much of a nightmare in the beginning. I would love to do some garden ready stuff: getting mulch and peat, whatever it will need to get it going. For now, the ground in the pictures looks as if it is just coarse sand.
We are bringing loads of long hour candles, Wally''s,.... because I just didn''t have the time to make any. Soap too.
I have some MRE''s left from when I lost my home that will last for a little while too.
The next road will be bumpy and loads of turns. It will be very interesting to watch Mark and Sugar and their reactions. They are both interstate babies.

Meghandmama, do you have an email I may send you a note to? I will not have the time this morning but would like some corresponding with you. You must have questions to ask, things needed to know, etc>???? I of course do. That and of course there will be other people now too.
Bella, Far, Crownlady, when I get north I will post as much as is possible without being boring.

Erin, see you later on this afternoon. I am very excited to meet you and Jim!!!!!
Nantinki
turtlehead
#31 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2005 3:52:43 PM

Meghandmama,

You can search for Tok at http://maps.yahoo.com

It is nearish the eastern border of the state, about 320 miles NE of Anchorage.

nantinkir
#32 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2005 4:37:29 PM

Last 3/3''s. We are out of here and on our way! Hope gas isn''t unbearable!!!!
Much happiness and all good things to all of you ...
Until Tok,
Nantinki and Sugar off to Tok, singing all the way, North to Alaska!!!!
crownlady
#33 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2005 7:09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nantinkir

Last 3/3''s. We are out of here and on our way! Hope gas isn''t unbearable!!!!
Much happiness and all good things to all of you ...
Until Tok,
Nantinki and Sugar off to Tok, singing all the way, North to Alaska!!!!

I love reading this lady''s stories. You are my kind of gal. You don''t sit and say what if. You don''t sit and ponder your situations. You don''t sit and moan and groan "whoa is me". You make it happen.

You never bore us. You are most interesting and I hope you, like Silent, are keeping journals.
Your lives are so exciting.

emulkahi1
#34 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:31:30 PM

Nantinkir--

I know you probably won''t see this post for a while, but I just wanted to say that it was wonderful of you, Sugar and Mark to stop by on Monday!!!!! How amazing that your journey brought you right past our front door!

I bet you are more than half way through Canada by now? I hope that your way has been smooth, and that your new place in Tok is all you imagined it to be, and more!!!!

Safe Travels!

Erin
nantinkir
#35 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2005 7:18:53 AM

TOK TOK TOK finally.
I will take time to journal tomorrow. We finally have DSL
Nantinki and Sugar, home at last and loving it!! Much better than I ever expected!!!!!!
emulkahi1
#36 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2005 3:06:54 PM

HURRAYY[:D][:D]!!!!! I was wondering if you''d made it yet!!! I figured you had, and just had to get your phone, etc hooked up. Wow, I''m looking forward to hearing how the Al-Can highway treated you. Was it a beautiful drive?? And, of course, what do you think of your new abode?? What do Sugar and Mark think? Is it what you all had hoped for? I guess, no matter its condition....It is still in Alaska, and you are finally there[:D]! So glad to hear that your journey was a safe one....[:D][:D].

Erin
turtlehead
#37 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2005 4:30:41 PM

You''re THERE? That seems so fast!
You even have DSL - spectacular.
I am SO excited. I was afraid you''d find it lacking and be up there hungry and freezing but "Much better than I ever expected" ... WhooHoo!

I am on pins and needles waiting to hear about your trip, and your adventures as you begin settling in.
crownlady
#38 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2005 7:53:05 PM

So glad to hear you made the trip ok. Not that there were ever any doubts. Who''s Mark?

Looking forward to your posts and adventures.

nantinkir
#39 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2005 5:45:41 AM

Cruising along the Alcan, listening to acoustic music and watching the world go bye.
I didn’t have a hard time letting go as I might have been expected too. Who would know that as many times as I have seen the rivers, the trees, the mountain tops, that I could still be blown away by them.
Summer is almost over now, up here, the tractors have all been put away, and the hitchhikers have stopped showing up.
There is the promise of winter snow in the air already, the berries are gone off the bushes, and I am glad I am home. Every night I go out and watch for the Aurora, the magic lights, and every night I hear the wolves. Someday I would like to look one straight in the eyes.
Tomorrow is another day, a day to wake up to all this.
I watch Sugar grow and I watch as she learns it all. It was magic to watch as she saw flocks of Stone Sheep, Moose standing in the roads, and Caribou everywhere. More, more, more grandma, I want to see more. I love her tiny self, and I am happy to be bringing her to the most wonderful of the states, the last frontier. She is a wonder and I pray for us that we do have time together and that she grows well and healthy.
We got a room in Billings; Mark has finally decided to join us on the trip north. We met and then started our journey north to Alaska.
Our time in Roundup with Eric and Jim was short but wonderful. Many thanks for the food and visit and we hope to see you soon.
Next was the long miserable customs border. They are so rude now that they got all the flack about letting the terrorist over last year. The woman in the window asked, “What country are you from?” USA I said. “Go around the building and murmur, murmur, and murmur.” What? “I said, and she started yelling as if I was deaf…….” This was getting off to a really bad start. “Whose kid is that in the back?” Mine I said. You should have seen the glare. Lifted eyebrow and all. “What, do you want me to believe that?” OK… now I am mad. My heart really was going down the shi..er. This child is mine I screamed back. If it is one thing I really dislike is assumption. I could see her wheels turning. You know, this woman is nuts. She isn’t young enough to have a child. Well I just let her hang herself. “ Go around to the window, etc. she roared at me. She left the window and ran around to where she told me to go, whispered something to a woman there and stomped out.
Now we all know that there is no age discrimination anymore. Before the new lady could say a thing I pulled out the papers giving me Sugar. She laughed, I laughed and had a good time laughing really loud so old grouchy could hear.
So, did this end it? Nope. Mark. Dear sweet son-in-law, ‘but not the babies father comes in.’ Sweet Jesus old grouchy murmured loud enough to be heard by me. Thinks she Demi Moore. Lol. Oh my, lol.
Now the real trouble begins. Either one of you have guns? Mark says yes he does. How many? I dunno, five or six. Well what is it? Five or six?. What? You don’t know how many guns you have. For Christ’s sake. You two ever been to the border before? Well maybe when it was nicer but not since the SS police started working there.
They marched Mark out to the truck, wrote down serial numbers, measured barrels, and then turned his truck upside down. Whew. They are rough.
When we were finally through there I couldn’t help but look back to see if they were really gone. All I saw was Mark’s truck behind me so it was true. They were gone.
The first part of the trip through Canada was so different from what it was when I went through many years ago.
Boy the food and rooms are horribly expensive now. They give enough in one meal to feed a family of four but it just isn’t good. I got stir-fry that was raw vegetables mixed up with smoke bar-b-q sauce and soy sauce. I couldn’t even take the smell of it, never mind eat it.
Gas is around $5.00 American for four liters. Sometimes I couldn’t even catch my breath it was so bad.
The roads are bad again, moguls, bumps, holes, loose gravel, and all that you can imagine.
I was in my own old beater car when it started snorting shortly after crossing the border. I though, it’s that demonic witch at the border. She hexed me, but it wasn’t. The water pump was going bad. I kept pushing it anyway and it kept getting worse but oh well. It made it all the way here because GOD took care of me because he felt sorry for me because of all the trouble with the demonic witch. He made it last all the way to Alaska.
Now for some of the great stuff. I saw Caribou everywhere including the middle of the road. Flocks of sheep where all over the place. A sea of them on the sides of the road. It was a mighty sight to see. Anyone would love that sight. It made my hands clammy. Sugar would scream, more sheep, more sheep. What a little trouper. She will be a great hunter.
The seasons are changing fast there in Canada. The trees are beautiful; the rivers high, so it was good to drive slow anyway. Kept us from falling off some of those bad cliffs. Lots and lots of animals, some raven, mink, moles, coon, etc. but still all fun and beautiful to see.
While it might sound like an episode of the Sopranos Mark and I got into another hassle. A man I will call “the director,” of the Canadian roads, pulled up with a flagman, passed us and then told us that we had to sit and wait for the pilot car. What pilot car I wondered. Well, in about 15 minutes I got out and asked how long before they though he would be back? “ he’s out to lunch and I dunno” Gritting teeth I asked him why we had to wait if no one was working then? “Cause I said so” OK. I am peeved again. I turned the car off and told him that if Freddie or what ever his name is was gone so was I. I am going to take a walk and will be back later. “ Nope, can’t do that. I can have you towed.” Arrrgh. I lost another battle to our embittered neighbors again. I put my feet up on the dash and pretended to go to sleep.
I was oblivious to most problems after that but another encounter was inevitable. When the first loop of the so-called tightened road around the lake was taken it was bellowed to the other side of the road that they would be going first. I lost the battle and the war.
Now we had many wild animals on our range of vision and that is enough to make anyone happy. After many intellectual discussions with the Sugar Bear we figured out that we would be happy in spite of all.
We saw a half starved to death cub and I wanted desperately to stop and help it but was warned not to by Mark. Surely the mother has been killed I begged but Mark was the wiser. I didn’t try to help.
We were not prepared for some of the towns. One restaurant asked if we were local, we said no, then the waitress left, said she would be right back and returned with a different menu. A proven method of making an extra buck on us.
I was riding with the seat back, passed to state parks rangers, sucked in my breath and waited for the lights but none came. Ahhh. Success at last.
There were not many radio stations so there were long periods of silence. Beautiful silence. I made many plans during that silence.

The glaciers are receding, it is so sad. Ice is gone, ground is melting. Now I know that my brain won’t get frozen I feel better.
Since we got here we have done 5 cord of wood, the neighbor says we need twelve. I went to Anchorage, a 328-mile trip each way and got supplies after I looked around town and found that everyone was gone to get supplies. Didn’t want to look to dumb, being new and all. I really wanted to go hunting or fishing but at lest that is taken care of.
I really like my cabin home. It needs lots of work but we will settle in and see how it goes. Mark doesn’t know how long he will stay. Maybe he will last and maybe he won’t.
My feet are cold and it is still sunlight so I am going to dry my feet and go back out to do something more. Maybe wood, and then write again tomorrow all about this wonderful place.
I am gonna drink a small glass of wine, look out at the mountains and reflect at just how lucky I am when I get back in. I guess.
Nantinki

Pookie
#40 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2005 11:56:09 AM

I am so jealous! You have DSL out there where you are??!! I am smack in the middle of PA and can''t get DSL!! LOL

Enjoy your life and have some great times with Sugar.