Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

battery charger recommendations? Options
jd
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:37:20 AM

First post didn't work.  I need to find a good, used 48 volt battery charger - 40-50 amps.  There are some on the net but not so many second hand.  How does one check a battery charger?  Anyone got favorite brands?  Any brands BAD?  Where would I find this type of thing? 

practicalman45
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:36:22 PM

Hi Jd,  Not sure if these are heavy duty enough, but there are listings for 48 volt chargers at ebay for golf cart and forklift battery chargers.  Just search there for "48 volt charger".  Maybe you could gang up 2 in parallel to get your amperage rate?

davisonh
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:00:39 AM

Hey jd,yes there are good ones and bad ones,but first off to check a charger to see if it is delivering current you first need to borrow beg or buy(bad word)a clamp on ammeter that does AC or DC. Go to the 200 amp scale, clamp it on either the + or the - and see if you get a current reading. For forklifts and such,while they're charging I'll pull about 25 to 30 amps when it first starts charging then as time goes by the current drops until the reading is zero,then you're fully charged. If it does not drop most likely you have a shorted cell in the battery.If you pull  little or no amperes when first starting off then there's nothing left of your battery plates;battery wont hold a charge and is dead.How you can tell if your thrystors or diodes are dying put your ammeter on ac,see if you are pulling amps on AC.If you are one of your diodes is trash.If you see voltage in both directions on the diode then the diode is trash too.Okay Siemens makes a very good charger,Reliance too.$$$$ though.Anything by solar one,look the other way,lol.All I can tell you!good luck!

jd
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:27:09 PM

Thanks, guys (Gawd, I love this forum - there is always an answer here for me).  P-45, I have looked on Ebay and you are right, they have some.  But I didn't know if one was better than the others.  Now I do.  Thanks, Dh.  I'll look for a Reliance or Siemens.  I was very close to going for a QuickCharge 40 amper but I'll keep looking.  I should have mentioned that I want 240 volts input if possible single or triple phase.

On an unrelated note, do you feel like rating products?  Like, Surette is the best battery.  Who makes the best charger?  Seems Outback is the best inverter.  But who makes the best PV panels?  Wind turbines?  Charge controllers?  Generac and Coleman make poor generators and Honda makes good ones, but who makes the best small diesel gensets?  And pelton wheels and other water turbines?  Is there a rating out there somewhere that is unbiased? 

jd
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:27:09 PM

I need to find a used , cheap , 48 vltI