Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Test Planting Garlic Seeds Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 7:05:19 PM

I used to refer to them as seeds, too.  But they are bulbils, and since garlic doesn't flower, they don't get fertilized.  They are clones of the mother plant, just as the main cloves are and will grow.  It will just take them a few years to achieve a good size.  A post from the past with a lot of good info is here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/forum.aspx?boardid=1202&g=posts&t=95036

Durgan
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 9:29:09 PM

Frosty:

Thanks for the information. The thread was most interesting.

Those bulbils that I are calling seeds are not really seed.They are simply the same as the bottom cloves (clones) and it will takes a few years to get normal size cloves. Anyway, I will plant a row of the bubils this year and again next year and see what I get.

Durgan
#3 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 9:29:09 PM

Test planting garlic seeds.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?INPKG 14 September 2009 Test planting garlic seeds.

Visiting an abandoned garden, I found some healthy appearing garlic seeds, and decided to try and grow them. Normally garlic is propagated from the clove, since most seeds are not fertile, but there has been some research success in propagating from seed. This is my minor attempt. Wish me success.
Users browsing this topic
Anonymous
Forum Jump