Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Best shed design? S. Arizona Options
John Stiles
#1 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2008 3:31:47 AM

Books are tough to store. In double layer plastic bags to keep out silver fish, moisutre and dust. In metal to keep out rodents. But the metal should be lined or insulated to help stop condensation.

If you place your shed on a slab water, mice and insects are close by, if you place it on stilts it may burn easier.

Read Ken Kern's "Owner Built Home" then you'll need to gage your resourses and proceed, heeding physics.

HockeyFan
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2008 1:07:16 PM

I would check with one of your local temporary storage companies to see if you can buy a small used storage container (like the ones you see at construction sites).  These are very durable when it comes to wind and fire.  The only drawback is that they usually have no windows.  They're not well ventilated, but they're not air tight either.  They usually have a plywood floor although steel all the way around the outer shell (of course).

The reason I mention the plywood floor is that this will attract termites and they will be attracted to your books.  I would store the books with every safety precaution mentioned, and I would probably check with a library or local bookstore to get tips on book storage for your area.

Earth Home Project:
www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground

Mike in McMurdo
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:55:53 PM

I have a couple of ideas. If you live near a shipping area, there are used 20 foot containers all over the place. I think you can usually get one for a couple thousand, but the prices vary all over the place depending on how much overstock. They are watertight and fireproof and they have strong locking mechanisms to protect from theft. If you use a good lock, your stuff is safer than a lot of other sheds. The down side is that a lot of building codes don't allow them in residential areas. You also have to get it delivered somehow. I've seen a few people take the container and then build a roof to make it not look like a container.  If you know someone handy with a cutting torch, cut a few holes and put in windows for light.

I just put up one of those little steel sheds. 3 weeks later after 4 million holes that never really lined up right, we are done and will start moving things in. I don't think I would do this again. I feel pretty certain after flexing in the wind for a year, this one is going to leak in bad storms. We'll see. I think your plan of a stick built is better in the long run. If you have books you will need to have ventilation to stop mold. There are all kinds of ways to that, but I think it would be fun to put up a little solar cell and attach to a fan, A modern greener way to do it.

Our codes allow a 120sq ft shed without a permit. Next time I'll build it from scratch. It will be more money, but I think it will last longer and probably look better as well.

Mike

HockeyFan
#4 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2008 8:07:28 PM

Those shipping containers are the same as the storage containers I was referring to.  You see them at construction sites, usually, but any business or individual can rent them.  I'd find a place that has them and see what it would cost to buy one.  Like Mike stated, they're not all that expensive, and they're durable in very high wind.  You can pretty much consider them to be industructable (within reason).

I've rented one a couple of times in the past and they are very good to keep things out of the weather.  With the right lock on the door, they're pretty much immune from theft, as the thieves can't even get in to a small area to cut to remove the lock (providing you get the right lock) on the door.

We were happy with the ones we rented, and have seen that other people have bought them for extended use on their property.

Earth Home Project:
www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground

qerra22
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:44:17 AM

Alternative energy sources are, I think,
 and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
 The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.

concrete molds 

steel sheds 

Nomad
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:44:17 AM

Good day folks. I'm interested in putting up a fairly secure shed. These little pressed steel sheds that so many people like will NOT do, I plan on storing books and things I want to actually keep! I'm pretty poor, but I should be able to afford to put a slab down although I'm not exactly experienced with concrete. How thick of a slab do I need? If I don't HAVE to get permits I don't want to bother with it. I need to find a good design, possibly one that's flexible on size. Any suggestions? Any suggestions for getting cheaper materials? I'm in unincorporated Pima county, AZ

-Michael