Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Roll call for the newby!! OK? Options
Emerald
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:12:44 PM

Whoopy!!!  I forgot to go first!  I'm EM from Michigan, A 44yr. old soon to be grandma , who gardens alot and is interested in going more green!  now Who's next?
Spark123y
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:34:50 PM

well let's see...... I'm Brian 44, Live in UPstate new york(near cooperstown)  Born and raised on a farm.  While currently no longer on the farm I still help my brother and his kids on their farm and I stay close to my agriculture roots by collecting antique tractors and machinery , making maple syrup and growing christmas tree's oh yeah , I also muddle about in myHUGE garden. My garden has to be huge in order for me to mess about with my tractors and equipment. Huge is not nessesarily good. Many many gardeners produce far more veggies than I do in my weed patch. I've been on this site for quite awhile though lately I've been a lurker for the most part. Since they have been working on this site it would be nice to see more folks return and for the old interesting threads with many responces to return also.
davisonh
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:48:10 PM

Yup,you'll have to excuse MEN admin for that,they're in the middle of redoing their  website(BTW guys I got a letter from Heidi a while back saying to bear with them,I guess the sitebuilding is a long  and tedious process they're working thru but she says she's thinking we'll like the results)A lot of people went back into lurk mode or just took off but a few of us oldtimers are very much still here,and come on and off as time permits and as subjects come up.But anyways:

My name Dave and I live just south of Keene NH and I originated from Mass. I lived in the woods most of my life until the woods became a city where I used to live and the price to live there was too high,so I jumped the border 7 years ago.Best thing I ever did,never been more 'home' in my life.I work maple syrup,garden,manage 10 acres of woods and have a wife and a 3 year old son.And yup like Brian I've been here a long time and have been a reader of MEN off and on for about 20 years.There's not too much we all have'nt run into at one time or another so any question you may have most likely will be answered quite intelligently,there are a lot of very well educated folks here who can help you out.

Emerald
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 5:07:28 PM

There are many threads on this site that I would love to have joined in on the  topic, but after reading the dates on the posts, I figured that I was about 2 to3 years too late.. lol  Thanks for posting and I hope that I can help get more people interested in posting here...I am a member of a couple of different forums online and will see if any of my other posting buddys will find this one interesting!
      I think that if I have a question and the thread that it is about is very old maybe I will just start a new one and refresh the topic..  and has anyone noticed that the new posts on a thread do not bring the thread to the front page or even the top of the page??  How are we to figure out if someone has answered our post??  Well I hope that this is something that they are working on..
     As for me I was hurt in a car accident 8 years ago and now am an at home mommy that provides daycare for a 3 yr. old and I have been raising chickens, and I am trying to grow more of my own food due to allergys to certin pesticides and food additives.   I am thinking of trying to build my own solar food dehydrator this summer and maybe my own earth oven... If  I do it and it works good I will make sure to post my results and maybe some links to photos!
     I have been a reader of MEN for many years and for a present last year my hubby got me the Archive CD's.. If you don't have them yet they are deff. worth it! 
     One last thing,,, I am one of the poorest spellers in the group, so sorry ahead of time.. EM
Spark123y
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 6:19:31 PM

By all means keep posting. Also any folks you bring to this site will certainly help. One word of caution however, dont wait impatiently for them to tweek the software, most of us have been waiting for about a year? I guess the trick is to accept it as it is or lurk.Anyway we are anxiously waiting to hear about your projects.

Brian

Emerald
#6 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 6:38:32 PM

Spark123y wrote:

By all means keep posting. Also any folks you bring to this site will certainly help. One word of caution however, dont wait impatiently for them to tweek the software, most of us have been waiting for about a year? I guess the trick is to accept it as it is or lurk.Anyway we are anxiously waiting to hear about your projects.

Brian

So... I will not hold my breath. lol  I wish forums had smell-o post . I am making turkey stock from sundays turkey dinner and am getting ready to bake some more No-Knead bread to go with it.. you will all just have to use your imaginations... lol
grandmadiane
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:27:57 PM

Hi Emerald! Good to see someone new on the forums. I miss all the chats and recipes we used to have in the Kitchen and Cooking section. So if you have anything new to add I would certainly like it! Big L is the one who told me how to get back on the forums. I thought they had quit it altogether! LOL! Big L is also the bread baker around here, amongst others. He also likes the no-knead bread. Now that I'm working full time, I don't have the time to bake like I used to. But I sure wish I could! Keep us updated on all your "experiments." It will be fun to hear about them.
Diane
Emerald
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:24:06 PM

grandmadiane wrote:
Hi Emerald! Good to see someone new on the forums. I miss all the chats and recipes we used to have in the Kitchen and Cooking section. So if you have anything new to add I would certainly like it! Big L is the one who told me how to get back on the forums. I thought they had quit it altogether! LOL! Big L is also the bread baker around here, amongst others. He also likes the no-knead bread. Now that I'm working full time, I don't have the time to bake like I used to. But I sure wish I could! Keep us updated on all your "experiments." It will be fun to hear about them.
Diane
     Hi right Back!!!  I have read some of your posts and hope to post with you too!!  Have you seen the recipe I posted for no-knead rye bread??  It does turn out great(well except for the sticking to the clothe at the end, I know just line my teatowel with plastic wrap and it comes out nice).   I am just impatiantly waiting for spring to start the earth oven and to start making the solar dehydrator...  sigh  still snowing here in MI ...
     I have read many of the older posts and look forward to maybe getting more of the posters to come back and chat with us!! Em

martingr
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:03:32 PM

Emerald,

I'm Gary to my friends, other names to those who aren't, I'm 58 selfemployed tree farmer, sawyer I live in the Adirondack Mts of N.Y. my mother's side of the family has been here since 17 hundreds. I post something if I have something add, don't like to see posts where no one has replied, also don't like the word newbie, as it doesn't apply to anyone writing here, all come with all sorts of life experiences and all have a story. I consider myself a life learner and am troubled by the fact that more I learn the less I know, is a paradox of learning, don't like neg. nasty people so try and find those who think the glass is half full. Have great faith in the human being to figure it out and do something about it, most of the time from a unlikly source. I'm independent in my thinking and don't like being told what I can or can't do on my land. I do enjoy this forum and everyone who takes the time to write something.

Gary

mckenzy_girl
#10 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2008 10:33:47 PM

Hello!

I guess I'm an "old timer" I think I've been on this forum for like.....um Five years?(not real sure seems like forever though)

My friends call me Rhonda.

Anyway, I'm a 46, married to a great guy, we will be married for 28 years this May.

We have 3 grown children, a son in the Army who is 26, and has 2 children. A daughter, in college for becoming an RN, she is married and has 2 children. Another Daughter, who is 23, has had a rough start in life, but we pray she will get it together someday.

Then we adopted our youngest daughter's daughter, who is a blessing to us! She is 2.6 years old.  Ok that's my family info.

I love to garden, raise chickens, and we are getting goats in the next few months.

We live in northern Minnesota, near Lake Superior, in a 900 Sq. Ft. cottage on a 26. something acres. I like to bake and cook, sew, paint, do DYI things around our home. I love rummage sales as much as I like to have a sale. I enjoy my grandchildren and watching them grow.

We plan to home school our 2 year old, as we did with our older children.

I'm slowly going "green" taking one little bite at a time.

I don't come here as often as I use to, before the "big new improvements" sorry, I have been disappointed with MEN ever since the changes. I do drop in every now and then to see what's new.

Gods green earth
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:17:37 PM

I have to be the newest one to join.

Hi, I am 41 years of age. My wife and I live in Texas Have a house close to San Antonio. We bought 10 acres outside the city(way outside) and when our house sells we will move out there. We are planning on building with cash as we get it. We are going to grow a garden and raise chickens,rabbits,and goats to start and then go from there. But I think that start will keep us busy for a while.

I like to surf through the MEN website and read all the great articles. Been doing it for a few months. Glad I found this forum and hope to learn alot from it.

Thanks to everyone and your info.

Gods green earth
#12 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 1:43:35 PM

Where is everybody at? I can't be the only one here.
amandaaphra
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:48:52 AM

Farside
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:53:26 AM

I suppose they're still here.... somewhere.  It'll take some time and effort to get this board back to what it use to be.

Barbara Pleasant
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:31:25 AM

Some of you know my name -- I write lots of the gardening articles in Mother -- which is pretty much the greatest job in the world. Thanks so much for your patience with the website. I had stuff ready to go up in February, and let's see, it's June. There's a rumor that the monster glitch that has held things up has been at least identified, so hold on. Compared to the rest of the site, this forum is comfortably calm if you ask me.

I live in SW Va, not close to anything unless you count the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I just turned 55. I keep a big, intensive organic garden, managed for maximum fun and food. We have 3 apple trees that are loaded this year, plus some excellent pears, so I hope you guys can help me out. Might get sticky.

gerry
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:00:41 PM

Greetings, folks!  I really am new here.  I discovered MEN after 30 years of not even hearing the name.  I retired in NW Oregon summer 2007 and moved to Knoxville, TN.  We bought a house and I am learning what gardening is all about.  Our lot is almost 1/2 acre in Big Orange Country (Did God really make orange clay????)

My name is Gerry and I live here with my wife of 30 years and with her mother.  The ladies are both partially disabled, so I get to do all the outside work alone and the inside work often doesn't get done.  HELP!! 

I'm learning this year about care and nurture of trees, shrubs, flowers, vegetables, and (God forbid) weeds!  I'm learning on a shoestring budget at the moment, but expect to be able to put whatever I need into the lawn and gardens in a few years.

One of the big things I've learned in my first year is that friable and fertile don't necessarily go together.  One of the sad things I've learned is that I often can't tell the weeds from the flowers.  Many weeds look so similar to some flower. 

Looking forward to the learning experience.
Sunnygirl
#17 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2009 11:48:32 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site but a long-time reader/subscriber to the mag.---all the way back to issue #2.  I moved from the southern OR. coast last fall to NE OK.   I'm 51 and wanted a place with lots of bare ground so I can grow from scratch.  I got it!  I've started putting in fruit trees, have bought all kinds of early stuff for my food garden this year and will be doing veggies, herbs and flowers, fruit trees, berries etc.   My goal is to turn my entire yard into an edible landscape so I don't have to mow grass.  I garden organically and found a neighbor who uses NO pesticides on his pasture so I get free used hay and manure from his horses/mules.   I love it.  /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/happy.png  I hope to visit this site often.  I bought the first 3 decades of Mother on CD and hope to get the newest one pretty soon.

Emerald
#18 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2009 11:48:32 PM

Hi!!  I just finally found out that MEN had a forum.. I have spent many days reading and enjoying the past threads... But I have noticed that there are not many people posting that used to post.. So, if you would please post here and let me know who is still here, so I can post and find out if anyone will be here to answer any of the good questions that I may have??   And beleive me folks I do have many questions about many topics that I would love to have a good discussion about.. Emerald...(and if we're not supposed to start threads like this one just let me know and I will not be a stinker and do it anymore.. :). )