Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
Homestead Help Options
paratrooper
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2004 11:54:14 PM

You don''t need to search Kansas . I will tell you all you need to know . It''s flat , cold in the winter and tornados come through a LOT . Now let me plant a seed and we''ll see who''s interested . Kingman Arizona . It is in Mohave County . Milemarker 53 on Interstate 40 is about the middle of town . It''s 190 miles from the Grand Canyon , about 100 miles from Phoenix area ,315 miles from Orange CA and 30 miles from Laughlin Nevada . There are 2 parts of Kingman that might be of interest to wannabee homesteaders . I will speak of one . Butler section . It is for all intents and purposes part of Kingman but actually lies in the county . Therefore the roads and other services are not as good . The property prices reflect this disparity . Now there is work there . Perhaps not big bucks but work nevertheless , not to mention Laughlin Nevada (gambling) where there are tons of jobs . You can find a single wide on a piece of ground in town there for 40K or so . Now for the good part .

There are tons of small patches of land all around the county . No water or power . Solar will fix one problem . If you buy a small place in Butler and get a small acreage you can get started . Put something on your new "ranch" to live in and rent out your first place . Come into town every few days and get water from the rental house . This is just a thumbnail of an idea . Anyone interested enough to contact me will get all the info I can give . We own a piece of land about 16 miles East of town on Old Route 66 .

The reason I say about the pieces of land out of town is there are no real difficult codes . Just what are called National Codes that seem to satify just about every jurisdiction around .

Anyone acquainted with metal detecting/prospecting might have heard this area referred to as Gold Basin (King Tut and Queen Tut) . As I said there is work and truck driving is another thought . Swift Transportation recruits from this area and will send you to truck driving school for "Free" . You gotta work for them for 1 year to pay it off . You can still make about 30K or more your first year . It''s no bed of roses but it works .Check Kingman AZ in your search engine and post any questions . There is a big Home and Garden show there on March 12 , 13 , 14 . Just about everyone in town shows up for this . Realtors especially not to mention employment opportunity factors (Manpower , Labor Ready, companies that can help you find work etc.) . Good place to get info if you can get there .
ironkitten
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2004 11:21:27 AM

ha ha ha!! This has been the funniest post... But I just moved from Prescott paratrooper, and you can keep it.
basicmouth
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 8:01:38 PM

oh, I''ve been to Kingman, AZ, and it is DRYYYYY. Solar wouldn''t be a problem at all since sun is all they get. Hubby and I are truck drivers (cross country) and we stepped out to shower in Kingman this past summer and hit the desert sand at 115 that day. By the time I walked back from my shower, I needed another one from blowing sand in my hair.
HOWEVER, there are nice spots and some oddly pretty houses in that area. Stucco would be a great choice I would think.
I liked the area of Kansas around Kansas City and south... VERY flat, but so pretty to stand and see blowing grass in every direction and the city disappears so fast.

The other state I loved so much was Utah. HEAVEN in some places, and northern TX wasn''t bad either.

If you get the chance to wander around the country some year, DO IT. This land of ours is AMAZING in its diversity, land mass, the people that live here, the wealth, the poverty, the mountains, the desert, the ocean, the lakes in the weirdest places... I spend all winter looking forward to the end of the school year when our kids leave for the summer (they go to their other parents houses) and my husband and I get to travel together. I''ve been across the country three times now, and only have Oregon, Washington, Montana and the Dakotas left to see.
ajortolani
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 9:26:47 PM

Well, basicmouth I certainly agree with you on how beautiful this country is!! Half those people who spend a small fortune on overseas travel don''t even realise how gorgeous things are here!! Infact, half the people in NY don''t realise just how beautiful upstate NY is..especially the Hudson River Valley, if you ever get the chance to visit Westpoint, do it! Is absolutely breathtaking. Of course, my hubby''s favorite view is of the Indian Point Nuclear Plant, but he''s a little odd like that! LOL
paratrooper
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:43:00 AM

Basicmouth is right in the assesment of most of the US . Utah is nice . If you''re not LDS you might not be as happy as you could be . North Texas is nice until winter comes around . The panhandle gets blizzards of huge proportions . Kansas around Kansas City might be nice except for .... well , Kansas City . I trucked myself for many years . Hauled meat from Iowa to both coasts . Produce out of Florida to wherever . Potatoes from Maine and apples out of Washington . Onions and assorted other stuff from Texas to all points north and a bunch of other trips I can barely remember . I did pay attention to the areas I went to in my search of a really good place to live . I learned a lot . If it''s truly beautiful there is either no work or you cannot afford to live there . The beauty of trucking is that I could live anywhere I wanted to . I just couldn''t be there more than 3 days a month . Your address is just a place to get mail and leave some clothes .

The reason I say Kingman is that it sits at 3500 feet altitude . If you left there and hit desert you were going west into California . There is a small distance of desert in AZ but mostly it is in CA (Mohave) . The hot weather is about 2 months a year and the opposite is cool to occasional dustings of snow that leave as quick as they came . Heating and cooling are not a huge concern for the most part . There is even work for truckers if you MUST . IWX has a terminal right there west of town . Plus with the Flyin'' fish hook and a TA there you can park when you''re home if you work for someone else . They are trying to attract companies from all over so jobs are not only there but are being created all the time .

When you explore Wash , Montana and the Dakotas remember what snow is . Those places get real cold for the most part . Western Wash. is probably the warmest since the ocean helps the temperature stay up . You only need 2 or 3 days in January in Montana or the Dakotas to appreciate Arizona .

I''m not trying to sell Arizona but I''ve been everywhere you can drive including the Alcan and I think I''ve found the most logical place to settle . There are tons of pieces of land for sale there at reasonable prices considering the lack of water and power . There are many places for sale at good prices if you have any kind of downpayment . My lot in a sub division goes for about $7,500 with water and power . A 2 bedroom , 2 bath , 2 car garage house of about 1,000 square feet living space can be built for about $65,000 . This is about 16 miles east of town on old rt.66 . www.REALTOR.com can help to decide if the prices are practical to someone . Starter homes are around for $50,000 .Mobiles can be had with land in town for even less.

I only offer this as a suggestion from someone that has been looking for a LONG time .
chascomly
#26 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2004 6:27:56 PM

Sec officer---
Don''t find out TOO much about building. It can discourage and confuse you. Building house is really nothing more than a logical set of steps. Try to have a decent idea of what you want from the beginning. But remember that things will change and you will vary from the plans. I built two buildings for a guy that had only a rough concept of what he wanted. As we built things he would walk through and say "I don''t like the feel of this..move that wall over here.." It cost him a lot of money, but he got exactly what he wanted. In my opinion, it''s great to build a house in bits and pieces because you will find out what works and doesn''t work for you.

As for the actual building and codes, etc., the work is physical, but very logical in what you must do. Contact your town engineer or the inspector when you have an idea of what you want. They will tell you what they expect from you. They can also be a great source of info and ideas if you have a good one(I''ve heard horror stories about inspectors and had a run or two with one, but for the most part, they are alright and just want to do their job.) I have mostly had good experiences. They may even point you to other owner/builders in your area who may be able to give you some assistance.
One other thing to remember, is that most inspectors have little or no experience with alternative homebuilding practices. It may be up to you to educate them.
Good luck and GO FOR IT!!
scotts8826
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2004 1:34:54 AM

I live in Olathe, Kansas, a suburb of Kansas City. There are numerous misconceptions of Kansas. Marquette is located about central, northcentral Kansas. Midwest living brings down-to-earth friendliness and if Marquette is recruiting, you''d be welcome with open arms! See how joyful a neighbor down a couple blocks is to see you, if they even know you. Kansas has the tall grass prairie so you won''t find vasts forests of trees but driving through the Flint Hills looking at undulating hills of green grass can take your breath away just like any green forest. I was originally from the Washington D.C. area and came out to Kansas for college. I never went back to the east coast once I discovered how much more sane of a livestyle was available to me.
reppe
#28 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:49:29 AM

Howdy,
I just subscribed to this forum, and am not sure if this has come up yet (so, sorry for crosspostings).

You guys might be interested in these "Lifestyle Greening" workshops at Lost Valley Center in Dexter, OR:
http://www.lostvalley.org/Permaculture_Program.html

Cheers.
Hellzapoppin
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 3:14:39 AM

I got bummed out this morning. I searched online and thought I''d found a sortof "commune" group, or co-housing group fairly near here.
I read their website and they were talking about how each family would have to buy their own parcel of land, and build on it ~ get this ~ JUST THE LAND ~ one lot to build on, was $45,000! [:0]

I realized then that co-housing and homesteading could be used by UNSCRUPULOUS persons as a FRONT to sell off lots of their real estate at VERY inflated price$!!!

Can you say.....KA-CHING!!!
samgroff
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:00:38 AM

I dont know where you guys looked in Pennsylvania for land, but there is really cheap land in northcentral PA. In and around the town of Mount Jewett it is 18 miles to the town of Bradford which is a good size town it is where the Zippo lighter is made. I looked at property there but I dont have any money right now I am trying to get my bills paid off Then I am going to save some money and buy a place there maybe.
samgroff
#31 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:05:19 AM

Oh I forgot to mention that not to far away from Mount Jewett is the Kinzue lake it is a huge lake it brings a lot of people into the area for boating,fishing,waterskiing,camping, and swimming.Plus there is real good hunting in the area.
skruzich
#32 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:21:19 PM

You don''t look for existing groups, you find people you can go this with and get along with.

quote:
Originally posted by Hellzapoppin

I got bummed out this morning. I searched online and thought I''d found a sortof "commune" group, or co-housing group fairly near here.
I read their website and they were talking about how each family would have to buy their own parcel of land, and build on it ~ get this ~ JUST THE LAND ~ one lot to build on, was $45,000! [:0]

I realized then that co-housing and homesteading could be used by UNSCRUPULOUS persons as a FRONT to sell off lots of their real estate at VERY inflated price$!!!

Can you say.....KA-CHING!!!

trapper
#33 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:44:43 PM

there are no trees in arizona are there...i mean real trees.... and what about water?? i like streams, creeks, ponds and bogs not to mention lakes, hows the trapping in arizona? seems to me its not very good except maybe flea infested coyotes...do the seasons change? i love to see the seasons change. what r the soil conditions like?? sand?? just some thoughts im sure ill have more later....
paratrooper
#34 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 6:54:51 PM

Usually trees and the other stuff come with altitude . Around Williams and much of Northern Arizona you will find those things of which you speak . Downside is that it is at about 7,000 feet up . This requires heating in the winter which is not a problem around Kingman . I feel lucky that I can be at 3500 feet while doing those things I like and having access to 7,000 feet when I want and only 2 hours away . There''s a price tag on everything .
SecOfficer
#35 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 6:54:51 PM

Hello all,
This is my first time posting. I am VERY interested in living naturally off-grid, naturally,etc. but dont know how to begin with such a small budget. I need land and etc. and I dont quite know about the codes in NY when it comes to building a home yourself. Any building code reference books available or "how to build a house the right way, up to code" books? LOL! I have many talents as far as building and misc, just dont know how to do this on a VERY small budget. (I'm poor) :O)