Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Need recommendations on breeds... Options
Galeshka
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 4:57:13 AM

Try Murray McMurray hatcheries......but most won''t sell in lots smaller than 15, need that many so they can keep each other warm. Silver laced Wyandottes are gorgeous, and good dual purpose chickens....my preference is for Buff Orpingtons.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2004 5:05:52 AM

Mcmurray won''t ship in quantities less than 30
You can try and go to your county farmers co-op and buy them.
mikeg
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:02:25 PM

Country auctions that have live stock will some times have pullets for sale and you don''t have to go through the chick stage and will have eggs sooner. Some people buy a full order of sexed chicks in the fall to sell off the layers in the spring at a premium, you pay more for the chickens but you don''t have to raise the chicks either. Keep them in the coup for a couple of weeks and feed them a treat every evening ring a bell or make some kind of the same sound when you do and when they are out of the coup and you want to put them up for the night they will come a running for the treat when they hear that sound.
ajortolani
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2004 8:35:01 PM

Hi Chascomly, welcome. I found this (& more) at MEN archives just by typing the word "chickens" in the search. I copied a little of the story & included the link for you. good luck & I will be following this thread closely to see all the great recommendations you get.[:)]

JAVA CHICKENS: Java chickens are about as close to the original domesticated chicken as you can get. However, the pressures of industrial agriculture have pushed the breed close to extinction.
Story and photos by Janet Ott
I drive backward in time every day on my way to work. I leave Chicago and busy Route 38 behind, then head up a gravel road to a white-picketed yard full of plump chickens scratching about. My daily time-machine chickens aren''t what you expect, though. Forget the modern White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds: My little farmyard cluckers are black, beautiful and rare. Our work is helping to make sure they don''t disappear. I work for the Garfield Farm Museum in LaFox, Illinois, a former prairie farmstead being restored as an 1840s working farm museum (see "Preserving History").

www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=190/190-97-1&ID=66&Num=44

Another breed that is "exotic" are "Silky Bantams"

Here is another link for you that you may find really interesting:
www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=002/002-038-01&ID=509&Num=35
johnhagen
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2004 10:42:55 PM

Muray McMuray will sell in lots of 25 chickens,Get 25 then process the males at 12 weeks,you will have on average about 8 to 10 hens.
chascomly
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2004 7:38:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I''m still trying to pick a breed, but have been in touch with the local extension agent and she is getting me some names of local breeders. I''ve decided to go with more birds and build a bigger chicken house. I butchered chickens once, many years ago and remember that it wasn''t any big deal. May just order the minimum from mcmurray or one of those. What kind of survival rates can I expect from the shipping process?
Galeshka
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2004 7:53:08 PM

McMurray pretty much guarantees 100% survival or they will replace.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com
ajortolani
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2004 11:00:33 PM

Try this site, I found it here at MEN don''t know anything about them but there prices looked good & ship in qty less than 25 for $1.00 each
www.heartlandhatchery.com/chick.htm
ajortolani
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:21:58 PM

Here is a terrific website with tons of links/info on hatcheries across the country:
www.poultryconnection.com/hatchery.html
chascomly
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:21:58 PM

I'm looking for good breed of layers to keep in a small (3-5 birds) pen. I'm in Richmond, Va and don't know if the summer heat will affect the laying. I had Rhode Island reds as a kid and would prefer something a little more exotic.
Also, if anyone knows of a distributor that will sell small batches that would be great to know...
Thank you!!