Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Critters Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 1:38:04 AM

Jack rabbits are a bit big for a cat to handle. But give mamma time to train the little ones to hunt. ;)
steve
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 4:24:29 AM

If you are feeding them catfood, they won''t hunt as "seriously" as they will when they''re hungry.

---

I went out into the shop building the other day, raised the garage door and saw a mouse eating catfood out of the cat''s food dish! [:(!] I told my lovely wife "enough is enough...we ain''t feedin'' the cats anymore!".

She said "That''s easy for you to say...you don''t have to listen to them whine when they''re hungry!".

---

So Piscesnaturally...I feel your pain! [:)]
skruzich
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 6:25:47 AM

LOL
I have seen the mice come in and make a mad dash for under or behind the fridge. They then wait and when all is quiet, make a mad dash past the dog food bowl and grab a piece as they go by. I moved the fridge trying to flush him out one day and found a stash of dogfood under there.
Anyway the mouse finally lost the mad dash race one day when my jack russel got smart and was hiding around the corner as the mouse came out and ran right into her. hehe
steve
StreetLegal
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 2:08:37 PM

Ahhh...I got one of them JRT''s. Some say they were bred to hunt rodents and other critters. I disagree...I think they were bred specifically for entertaining humans! :)
skruzich
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 3:25:16 PM

LOL street that they are,I believe they were bred to frustrate their owners. It cost me 1000 dollars to fence that dog in, as she found a way out of the fence until i put up electric at the bottom.
Piscesnaturally
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 5:28:20 PM

Oh dear! The hijinx (?) pets can cause! hehehe Thanks for the tips. I tries the not feeding them thing too...Momma sat at my windows yowling constantly. I nearly found her a new home! hehehe I didnt think about the whole size ratio thing with regards to the jack rabbits...I must admit...she IS pretty good with spiders...At least she was when she was allowed in the house. hehehe Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
patrick46135
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 5:49:50 PM

We have always had better luck with cats that are mousers if they are well fed. Guess it gave them the energy to hunt. I would also assume that some cats are just better hunters than others. We always kept the best mousers out of a litter.
StreetLegal
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 6:08:26 PM

Well...I suppose cats do often-times hunt for the fun of it...I know I did/do. I guess I just have lazy cats who are poor hunters. :) Maybe I''d better get off my wife''s back about the feeding of the cats and just buy some traps.

If they (the cats) were horses, we''d call them "star boarders", meaning they ain''t worth nuthin'' - all they do is eat (some of you may have teenagers like that).

And I''ve never had a problem fencing in my JRT. But she did push the gate open the other night and mixed it up with a skunk. This ain''t the first time...she still hasn''t figured-out that she''s workin'' the wrong end of the skunk.
skruzich
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 7:17:06 PM

LOL, I can assure you that if there is a way out of a fence the JRT will find it and utilize it to the best of their ability. I have finally gotten my oldest dog to not take off once let out of the fence, but it is mostly due to him being so sick. I am also working on my other schnauzer and teaching him not to run when hes out of the gate, hopefully i can get him to start going straight to the truck with a side stop to water something hehe. I am getting the two to stay in the vehicle when i stop and leave the windows down, but i don''t like to do that either cause someone is going to be stupid and put their hand in the vehicle and get it eaten off one day. They aren''t mean, just that it is stupid to do that to a strange dog who is protecting the vehicle.
I currently leave the windows about 5 inches down and a bowl of cold water when i leave them to go into a store. They do pretty good that way and at least they get to ride. I also take them early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun isn''t up so high.
ttyl
steve
Terri
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:47:46 PM

If the Momma cat doesn''t know how to hunt, she won''t be able to teach the babies. Cats who do not know how to hunt seem to be the norm now, unfortunately.

We have a cat who totally ignores the big rabbits, though he HAS caught a couple of little bunnies. We rely on the dog to chase the big rabbits. He doen''t catch them, mind you, he just makes their lives miserable so they don''t come back as often!

I have found that a hunting cat hunts whether you feed them or not. Our cat prefers fresh-caught meat to cat food, any day! If hunting is bad, he eats cat food. If hunting is good, he takes a bite or two and leaves.
Wolfie
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:18:57 AM

Terri has said what I have always understood - that a cat must be taught how to hunt or else it will not hunt or have any interest in doing so. So often kittens are given away when very young, before their mother has had the time to teach them how to hunt. I grew up on a farm with lots of cats that came and went as they pleased. I don''t remember that we ever fed them, maybe a bowl of milk once in awhile. And I don''t remember them ever acting hungry. Living in the country we seemed to gather a lot of strays from time to time also - sometimes these were "abandoned" out a passing car door. Most of the time these cats did not seem to know how to hunt - but I think some learned from the other cats. Perhaps you might try getting an adult cat that does hunt and see if it influences your others a bit... On the farm my dad had one philosophy - anything alive was put here to work, and that included any cat, dog or distant visiting relative. Any who didn''t want to work didn''t seem to stay around very long... :)
skruzich
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:52:03 AM

feed the cat raw meat, then if you happen to catch a mouse in a mouse trap, let the cat have it. If the mouse is bleeding, then she will assoicate the smell of blood with the mouse. Thats how they learn to hunt. They learn that the taste of blood is what they crave, and that if they catch a mouse they wills satisfy that craving.
steve
Penagashea
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 5:22:57 AM

Some years ago my daughter took in stray kitten. She made him an excellent hunter! She palyed him as you would a dog. Tug o''war, rough housing, hiding things for him to find etc. That cat was excellent! he was so good that we never saw any rats,mice,bunnies or any other varmit! Nothing got away from him, not even dogs!
So I think it''s in waht you teach the cat. Lap kitties will never be mousers. Mousers are made not born. Encourage a kitten''s agressive side(HUMANELY of ocurse! no abuse!!) play hide and hunt and they''ll be good mousers. Coddle ''em and you''ll have a lap kitty.
bushwack
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:09:48 AM

Steve
I think you might have a good idea with the trap a mouse thing but how about kickin up the recipe a bit.
Ingredients
1 - Mouse~~Dead or Alive
2 - Tablespoons of cat nip

1 - Small paper bag
1 - Mamma with Litter
Procedure
Place Mouse in bag, add cat nip close bag, shake to coat well
Optional: Dampen mouse with a few drops of water or milk. This will help the seasoning to adhere better and enhance mouse. Also help it to stay on longer.

Bring Cat & Kittens into small closed off room, empty contents of bag on floor and say
”Here kitty Kitty!"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Okay this is wher I have to Quite weeknee. Oh I love this quote....
"For those animal rights folks...save yer breath,people are much worse to each other"
skruzich
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:52:13 PM

ROTFLMAO Good one bushwack.
Piscesnaturally
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 8:09:36 PM

LOL- such great advice!!! I shall try all of it! Anything is better than nothing, right???
And Wolfie- that was quite a wise bit of info from your dad!!! I will have to keep that in mind the next time I have company, and am forced to play hostess! hehehehehe
Piscesnaturally
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2003 8:09:36 PM

I have 5 cats (one mother and 4 babies) and they seem to not be interested in hunting. Are there any suggestions? I live out in the boondocks surrounded by grapevineyards. I am swarmed with spiders, buggies, jackrabbits that love to eat my garden before I get a chance to, etc. I am not saying that I want all of these creatures dead...just would like my cats to scare them off (mostly referring to the jackrabbits now) Any suggestions?